1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. RnR

RnR Member

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

piCore Player is worth looking at for any headless music player.
    it lives in the LMS ecosystem and is highly versatile
    now at release 6.0 its an amazing little distro based on "tiny core" and it does run entirely in ram (if yr lms server lives elsewhere)

3. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

thanks guys, running fine with just default install of raspian booting to CLI. The only tweaking i did was log2var. Though no idea about long term stability haha but all its doing is running spotify connect (i gave up curating 100Gb+ of mp3s a long, long time ago...) though I might crack and try to setup local playback for live/DJ sets, but I'm so used to just going through the spotify interface for everything (except the odd dip into a local player for a live set).

Looking at google it seems that squeezelite would be the way to go. I can easily host the server function on my main server.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

if its music you want, picore player is easily the best distro.
    runs squeezelite and lms together easily on a pi4, but will run on a pi2 as long as the library isnt insanely large :)
    search for spotty as the plugin

5. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

yeah CBF setting up any more server infra for now, and its just hte kitchen player anyway but thanks for the heads up.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Why on earth more Pi distros don't ship F2FS as their root file system, I'll never know.

Coupled with recent compression options, longevity and performance of SD cards is dramatically improved over ext4. Even BtrFS would be a smarter idea with resistance to people hard powering off devices thanks to similar copy-on-write designs.

7. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

sorry just tried picoreplayer. This stuff is cancer, ain't nobody got time for dat. I've done HTPC stuff for ages, I used to run ampache manually, XBMC before it was kodi, dealing with codecs on linux a decade ago etc. and I currently run ZFS, full lab AD environment (ironically on KVM), containerised services via docker-compose.... and I have no desire to do that crap again on a pi. I just want to hit play and select the output on spotify on my phone.

I got shares working and then when I was faced with more hoops for spotify I gave up - got it installed, but it wouldn't appear in the android client, then I realised it was just enabling me to use spotify from some other poiece of crap interface that I'm not installing/remembering/cajoling the wife to use.

At that point I'm reflashing back to standard buster and installing spotify connect!

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

fair enough.
    I'm no power user and i found it fairly straight forward. but i guess i've been using piCore Player since ~2014

9. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Curious, the spotify capability- is it connect as in I can control it transparently from my phone as another output device (like a chromecast or google home), or is it a dedicated player function you control within Squeezebox or whatever interface?

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

its just another device in the list, but you need to be premium ... bujt I am not on premium
    and i'll stick to my 12tb of tunes, of which i listen to maybe 1tb of :D

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I went hunting for raw USB performance of the Pi4 compared to previous iterations, and found this useful chart here:
    https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks

While large scale storage over USB is always a bit iffy (too many random disconnects at high CPU load for my liking), these numbers are pretty promising. Certainly good enough to consider a Pi4 with a couple of USB hard disks as a home backup device.

2019-06-21-15_42_55-Window.png

13. Snoops

Snoops Member

I use this in cmdline.txt -> usb-storage.quirks=[device id]

Only way I could get a stable SSD root drive at high wait/load.

elvis likes this.
  14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis amazing when you move the network interface off the USB bus. I haven't tried Pi4 with USB-serial yet, but the Pi3B+ had issues at high baud rates anything over 110,000, I know the FTDI chips I use can pump hard because I tested software on x86 way way higher baud rates than those on the Pi3B. Because the Pi4 has a PCIe some enterprising people have soldered riser boards to the Pi4, which would allow SATA and M2 adapters.

http://labs.domipheus.com/blog/raspberry-pi-4-pci-express-it-actually-works-usb-sata-gpu/
    [​IMG]

RnR and zero_velocity like this.
  15. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

I did some testing on my home network and found that Rpi4 with external USB3.0 HDD outperformed Mac Mini (2012, with USB3.0) with same USB drive by about 3x (30mb vs 110mb transfer).
    So now I have the Rpi4 as a NAS and the mac mini plex server reads from that over the network. I can now use x265 and 30GB 4k movies without having clients' buffering.

Might have been mac SMB performance vs Rpi SMB performance I suppose but still - result!

GumbyNoTalent, elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis, Snoops and RnR like this.
  17. millsy

millsy Member

That's mental! I am struggling to think of a use case for 8gb

18. Snoops

Snoops Member

19. RnR

RnR Member

Got a build thread happening? :weirdo:

20. GumbyNoTalent