1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. brayway

brayway Member

Ordered a Pi4 B 8GB yesterday, been wanting one for a while.
    Hoping to replace a lot of my old NAS/file server with this, using an external USB 3 drive.
    Hopefully setup a usenet server/plex/couch potato etc.
    I've heard it's hit and miss on the plex side of things, so wondering if I look at an Nvidia Shield Pro to maybe host the plex server, but will see how that goes, unless people have recommendations?

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i dont see media playback as a rasp pi strength right now.
    and i cant comment on using plex, but the shield is a great device.
    worth checking out for sure

3. brayway

brayway Member

I wasn't too sure how useful it'd be for me, I have a chromecast on all my TVs, and use a Google Home/homehub for controlling it all, so not sure what else it'd really give me?

4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

probably not much in the way of a/v media if you're fully connected already

i should clarify, i have a 1gb pi4 and played around with 4k x265 playback and it was bloody amazing as a standalone device running openelec.
    i doubt it could do that and transcode another file for playback elsewhere (in real time) for right now. but again, i dont run plex so i cant comment with authority, just a gut feeling on resources available...
    as a file server/download box the pi4 is great.

i love it for just general tinkering and test driving distros out :)

edit - if its not going to do playback it might very well be perfect as a mini NAS.
    I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you. let us know please

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Bought a Pi4 and 2x USB3 drives to make a small business Apple Time Machine server / TimeCapsule.

Will do a short write up somewhere about it when it all arrives.

[edit]

Spoiler: Looks like I did a brief version previously. I'll do something more fleshed out in the next one.
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/17879582/

MUTMAN and Jazper like this.
  6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

elvis
    https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-boot-config-guide-for-ssd-flash-drives/
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md
    https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware
    be aware that there is some discussion that the booteeprom mods for USB boot have been pulled around May 22, cannot confirm this as I haven't looked. Or long live your boot image simply by moving log location off device with ng-syslog or make it memory only with busybox-syslogd removes most of the heavy writing.

EDIT - Looking at using Pi4 8GB for media server with Sonarr etc... with a iSCSI or NFS mount for storage back to NL40.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. elvis

I'll likely just boot from MicroSD for the OS, and use the entire contents of the USB drives without partitions as raw BtrFS volumes.

This thing will be very low read/write on the root volume (logs will be redirected), and spend the next decade of its life sitting on a shelf quietly accepting Time Machine data to the spindles.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

9. brayway

brayway Member

Setup a new 'nas' with a Pi4 for home on the weekend, grabbed the 8GB model, and nice to see it barely even needs that!
    I have it running OpenMedia Vault, with a 1TB external for general use, and a 6TB 'desktop' external for the media side
    Running in containers it has: Radarr, Sonarr, Jackett, Deluge. Initially I had Plex on there too, but it couldn't handle the transcoding for that, so I've now got that running on an Nvidia Shield TV Pro, which has the Pi as an 'attached storage' over the network.

Looking at the performance stats of the Pi, it's barely even doing much, so it could definitely do more.
    I also have 4 Pi Zero W's at home, two are running as PiHoles, one is running a UniFi server, and another is a Cups server for my Laser printer, which doesn't have network capabilities, so I could definitly move one of the PiHoles and the Unifi server onto the Pi4 and it probably would still barely break a sweat.

Although definitely have a bit of an issu with Radarr not doing anything once files have finished downloading, but that's another issue other than the Pi itself I Think.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  10. Blinky

Blinky Member

Just dusted off my Pi 4 4GB and found the 7" screen.
    I've finally got it to boot off a Samsung T3 (2TB), here are some speed test results.
    Raspberry Pi Diagnostics - version 0.4
    Sat Jun 27 20:11:38 2020

Test : SD Card Speed Test
    Run 1
    prepare-file;0;0;326049;636
    seq-write;0;0;319687;624
    rand-4k-write;0;0;71003;17750
    rand-4k-read;55727;13931;0;0
    Sequential write speed 319687 KB/sec (target 10000) - PASS
    Random write speed 17750 IOPS (target 500) - PASS
    Random read speed 13931 IOPS (target 1500) - PASS

Test PASS

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    brayway and MUTMAN like this.
  11. Bert

Bert Member

Bought an 8Gb Pi 4.

Mate of mine is into 3d printing, he downloaded an awesome case design that includes space for an Ice Tower cooler.

It's the cutest thing ever. The cooler is insane as well. Running at 1.8Ghz with 600mhz graphics clock sitting between 48-50 degrees running the stress test.

Keen to have a play with Twister OS to see if the extra ram helps with this working as a low end desktop.

20200626_103646.jpg

20200628_072922.jpg

elvis, brayway, archie and 1 other person like this.
  12. Blinky

Blinky Member

Firstly why can’t we see a snap from inside, just drop the four screws on the left panel please.

With such a crazy cooler it should be running at 2147MHz.
    Get into your config file with

over_voltage=6
    arm_freq=2147

Don’t do the last one you often see
    #gpu_freq=750
    Raspberry Pi engineers say it does more harm than good.
    So I leave mine out.

As far as Raspberry Pi cases that are a piece of Art, you have to have a look at the Desalvo Pi Case. Milled from a single block of aluminium!
    https://desalvoinc.com/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    RnR and archie like this.
  13. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

You've got to love the idea of a case that costs half again as much as the 8gb version of the pi4 in the first place :p

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  14. Blinky

Blinky Member

But, but Quadbox... You can't put a price on art!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  15. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

So what are people's experiences running an rpi4 (one of the higher ram models) as a purely playback device running libreelec? My current smart tv's fuckoff annoying and I'd rather like to attach an inexpensive device running kodi to it. Nvidia Shield's waaaaaay beyond budget, if an rpi4-8gig would do the job and I dont have to fork out for a cubox-pulse that'd be grand

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i had a really positive experience mucking around when it was released
    some early thoughts here

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18246316/

17. elvis

My bedroom media player was a Pi2B for a few years, upgraded to a Pi3B, and 2 weeks ago finally a Pi4B 2GB. Running LibreElec across all of them.

Loving the Pi4. Does H265 10bit without skipping a beat. The bedroom TV is only 1080p, but I'm really getting over the crappy Android 8 running on my 4K Bravia in the living room. It's slow as an old goat, and worst of all Kodi can't adjust it's frame rate (always stuck at 60FPS, which means 24FPS/25FPS stuff has obvious vsync and pulldown). I'm seriously considering another Pi4 running at LibreElec at 4K and doing away with the one loaded direct on the telly.

18. elvis

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

Thanks Elvis, that was a great read.
    I couldn’t do that, I have trouble getting the screw back in to lock the M.2 SSD down.