The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

ive read usb 3 and 2.4ghz wifi dont play well together.
    are they in your usage scenerio ?

2. millsy

millsy Member

I'm using an external SSD over USB, however the AP itself is 5ghz, so kinda I guess! My SSD randomly drops too, is wifi hanging off the USB hub on a pi4? Might be the link...

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

some of the usb to sata controllers are a bit sucky on pi4 too ....
    but that wouldnt explain the dropouts on wifi ....
    maybe use a usb memory stick to isolate the issue ???

4. millsy

millsy Member

Honestly the SSD is less of an issue than the wifi at this point, not gonna lie I was thinking of just having a cron job than ran every 10 minutes to fix it... All it needs is a mount -a to fix.

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. Blinky

Blinky Member

Just for the next person ...

If you get a problem with this:
    https://core-electronics.com.au/3-5inch-display-module-touch-lcd-with-stylus-for-raspberry-pi-3.html
    Try going back to a early version of Raspberry OS, say this one:
    http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2020-02-14/

Enable ssh (ssh just to be sure), enable spi for the protocol & i2c for the touch part of the touch screen, before installing anything.
    Install the driver found here:
    https://github.com/goodtft/LCD-show
    the one you want is the 35, so your command will be “sudo ./LCD35-show”
    Once you get that far you have caught up to me and I have saved you about 6 hours of searching and comparing IC layouts on photos on the web. Grrr. There are no model or version numbers on this screen.

I’ll come back and edit this later as to whether you can update the kernel or not, but it maybe tomorrow at the rate this Pi zero is going.
    Edit: note to self,
    Code:
    rpi-update 2d76ecb08cbf7a4656ac102df32a5fe448c930b1
    will get the upgraded system to work with the current release of driver.
    Edit2: Changing to a forked driver will get it working without resorting to rpi-update.
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf LCD-show
    git clone https://github.com/MrYacha/LCD-show.git
    chmod -R 755 LCD-show
    cd LCD-show/
    sudo ./LCD35-show

Unfortunately, you can't have both the tft and hdmi screens working at the same time, so you are forced to switch back to hdmi with; ./LCD-hdmi

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    GumbyNoTalent and MUTMAN like this.
  6. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

So I have been fucking around with Pi just learning as much as my little brain can process after a day of life. Mostly playing with home automation stuff, like home assis and mycroft and I came to the conclusion that I am going to need a lot these things to run all the different "projects". I don't know how but then I came across docker and that can run on pi and and run multiple apps in containers. OK cool so that means I could run home ass and mycroft on one pi. So my question is, if all the above assumptions are correct, how do I know how many containers I can run at the same time on the pi?

7. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

8. brayway

brayway Member

As many as it can handle really.
    It depends on what Pi you have, and how process heavy each container is.
    I have a 8GB PI4 running 4 or 5 containers, each pretty process heavy, but it doesn't even care really, not even warm.

whatdoesthisdo likes this.
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Same way you've known how many applications any computer can run at once in the last few decades: check a resource monitor. (htop and bashtop are nice).

Containers aren't magic. It's just software.

10. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Sorry I should of rephrased my question but it was late and I was tired. HOW do I do that, I have never used linux before.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  11. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Just run htop from the command line

12. elvis

Install htop:
    Code:
    sudo apt install htop
    Then run it with the "htop" command. It'll show lots of useful stuff, but the bit you likely care about in the moment is the CPU, RAM and swap.

Note that the orange section of the RAM is cache, so don't panic if that's high. Linux aggressively caches everything to improve performance, and unused RAM is a waste. So after a few minutes of usage you'll always have lots of cache in your memory counter, and that's both normal and a good thing.

The green and blue parts of the memory bar are the bits you care about, as that's stuff that's running right now. A little swap is also fine (it's normal, and a part of the graceful process degradation cycle).

But if you're sitting at a RAM bar of 100% green and a swap bar of 50% full, then that's bad, and you've got too many things loaded.

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

whatdoesthisdo on my phone so maybe elvis can help, 1 major point running any disk happy app on pi is bad because most people use SD card storage and they have a finite RW life cycle way less than traditional storage media.

14. elvis

Filed under "reasons why all RPi/MiSTer distros should ship on F2FS".

I've been having that rant for a while now, and to an audience who I thought were technical, but don't seem to understand the problem, which is a worry.

Rants aside, if you're doing high IO on an RPi, consider moving the mount point of that particular bit of stuff to a USB connected hard disk instead. You can use that in conjunction with your standard MicroSD boot device no worries (and yeah, you can boot from USB now on the latest RPi4 firmware, but MicroSD booting is still nice and easy, and having your apps/tools on a second drive isn't a big deal).

GumbyNoTalent and whatdoesthisdo like this.
  15. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Thanks guys that makes a lot of sense.

elvis likes this.
  16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

17. elvis

I have a working PXE boot setup at home, and I don't even bother with my Pis. Mostly because running Ethernet cables to my RPis is a pain in the butt.

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

Thanks Gumby, I'm only just awake so only one coffee ... but so far the help above hasn't changed anything to a further point than I was already at.
    Do you have a link to see your original comment in context by any chance?(you have a lot of posts)
    I'll go get another coffee and start again with a fresh install base.

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  20. Blinky

Blinky Member

Sorry for the late reply mate, I'm up the coast with almost no internet.

The IC layout on the PCB and lack of printed details all line up to match the one that Core Electronics sell. Mine is an eBay job from China though.
    I have looked through all varients of that board, they have A,B,C types but it is defiantly this one.
    https://ibb.co/tC924pD
    https://ibb.co/TPFZDC3

https://core-electronics.com.au/3-5inch-display-module-touch-lcd-with-stylus-for-raspberry-pi-3.html