The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. Blinky

Blinky Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    MUTMAN likes this.
  2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Got my rpi4 for home running all my sonarr etc. that rpi 3 was doing before. gigabit networking is very nice compared to the 100m I was coping with before. Is getting a bit warm, might transfer my chonky rpi3 heatsink onto it or get one of these https://www.amazon.com.au/Raspberry-Metal-Passive-Cooling-Case/dp/B07WG4DW52

Also got my 8 pi4's for work all running pisignage, opted for no fan and they seem to be keeping reasonable temps

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This is good practise in my opinion. A separation of the commercial entity that deals with businesses and the open source org that deals with education, training, charity work and the community development behind the scenes makes it clear which part you're involved with.

I'm always amazed when businesses don't investigate this option. Digital signage is insanely expensive, and PiSignage is a bloody great alternative.

mesaoz likes this.
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

time to try this under chromium OS on the pi4

flu!d likes this.
  5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I guess if you don't know it exists, you don't know it exists right?

Each display+pi+mount combo came in under a grand including electrician running power and labour of wall mounting.

6. elvis

I had a similar discussion already with others today. It's 2021, and "Google 101" should be a skill everyone has by now.

There was a time when I didn't know almost everything I've done in the last 20 years. And post university, the vast majority of that was discovered by basic Internet searching, not by training sessions or waiting for someone to tell me.

I dunno, bit of a side rant maybe. But people who still don't know how to do basic Internet research are way behind the 8 ball at this point in time. Business owners especially.

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yeah I'm with you there, I had a post drafted in reply to you before but decided against it... gist of it was I had tasked my offsider with finding a signage solution and they came up dry, and knowing I'd just found a nice deal on pi4's earlier that day I googled raspberry pi centralised signage and came up with 2 decent looking options in about 5 seconds flat.

Even recommending ancient office tech like automatic paper tri folders and envelope loaders I was met with "wait, that's a thing?!" (don't get me started on companies still using paper though)

GumbyNoTalent, MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  8. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

lol. Still have those in the accounts department.

9. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Mayfield and mesaoz like this.
  10. Schred

Schred Member

As a long term Raspberry Pi enthusiast, I’ll have to look at that. My employer uses digital signage across five sites. The cost per month is crazy, but it was justified over doing it ourselves because the vendor provides 24x7 support and promises to manage everything for us. They also provide a swish web site for our Marketing people to upload content to.

The problem is that they don’t provide acceptable support. Every single fault turns into a major saga and frequently we end up fixing it ourselves to save the inevitable run-around from their support people. When displays fail, it takes months to resolve the problem. When they do, they replace them with refurbished units that sometimes have issues with white balance (looks terrible in a display wall). I could rant on, but I think we can save a lot of money and frustration by bringing it in house.

elvis likes this.
  11. Blinky

Blinky Member

If you’re like me and were chasing a RPi CM4, take my lead and give up!

‘The Register’ interviewed Ebon Upton a few months back and if you haven’t already, go give it a read.
    https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/20/raspberry_pi_supply_eben_upton_interview/

The article noted that: “At time of writing the retailer Farnell was posting a lead time of 373 days for a 4GB Pi 4 Model B.”

If you don’t like to read here is a video of the same information and more. Elvis don’t click it!!!

Now for those who are allergic to Jeff Gerrling, here is your replacement video.
    I must add that you can’t buy this, it is just a concept, so look, but don’t touch! ;)

It wouldn’t be one of my RPi posts without a Case being involved, so here it is.
    This one is for those who can no longer go on with the constant concrete pavements, packed high speed train journeys to work where it’s always cold because the tall buildings block out the sun. Rebel quietly and build a little piece of forest paradise to sustain your inner flame of hope for something outside of the metro-machine.
    Yep, it’s a wood case.
    upload_2021-10-8_10-6-22.png

Ratzz, CRTified, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  12. brayway

brayway Member

Browsing TradeMe this morning and I saw a CM4 Lite 4Gb with WiFi pop up for $80.
    Threw it on my watch list. Then as soon as I saw the post above and the lead time, I decided to grab it, because who knows, maybe I'll find a project for it in the future haha.

MUTMAN and Blinky like this.
  13. brayway

brayway Member

Rack mount for the Pis turned up, not too bad for $50.
    Just waiting on one more POE+ hat for the final Pi.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GumbyNoTalent, Blinky and MUTMAN like this.
  14. Blinky

Blinky Member

Just don’t mention anything cluster-like Elvis could be listening, I mentioned it earlier but I think I got away with it! :p

Kick it to me, kick it to me!

MUTMAN, brayway and elvis like this.
  15. brayway

brayway Member

haha, I am actually trying to setup a bit of a K3s cl&#ter on two of them for now, but haven't had much time to put into it.
    Currently one runs Open Media Vault, with a 8TB external, and a 1Tb external. One other runs HomeAssistant, with a 240GB SSD, and a Coral TPU. Then the other two are what I was trying the K3s setup on.
    Eventually moving HA onto that was the plan.

Still waiting on the IO board for the CM4, man the actual chip is tiny!

16. Blinky

Blinky Member

Yes I figured they are by reference to how it mates with these.
    There was a certain someone in here urging me to get one, but damn it makes for an expensive packet passer.
    There is one good thing about the silicon shortage, it’s saving me lots of money. ;)

Let us know how you go with your RPi travels, it looks good. :thumbup:

brayway likes this.
  17. elvis

18. Blinky

Blinky Member

19. elvis

Says how he managed it deeper in the post. Worked around the firmware limits.

I assume it only ran that speed for a few minutes - enough to get the clock speed. Doesn't say how long it ran nor how stable.

And the amps required probably would blow it up after a week at that speed anyway! :lol:

Blinky likes this.
  20. millsy

millsy Member