The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. Blinky

Blinky Member

I wonder what's doing that then? Might be a good idea to image what you have now before updating. I might do a quick install without updates and see if I can repeat the error.

2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

If you haven't updated in a while you could be running the previous version of Chromium which didn't have the issue. It'll be interesting to see what happens after you update.

3. Blinky

Blinky Member

Just did both tests, first a fresh install of bullseye without updates and one that was fully updated - neither one would crash for me this time. At YouTube ran the Dr Strange promo in 1080 and Big Buck Bunny in 1080/60fps full screen (as a test).

4. kogi

kogi Member

updated, works ok. One reason might be that I have to #dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d for this funky lcd to work

5. Blinky

Blinky Member

Mmm, mine was vanilla though so it should have done it then.

6. flu!d

It appears to be a common issue, like the problems encountered trying to keep my Google Workspace accounts logged into Chromium, it appears YouTube is now crashing on certain devices including the Raspberry Pi - Call me paranoid, but I can't help but feel Google is up to something.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=323640&start=25

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/qsmsoe/youtube_crashing_chromium/

Another thing I've noticed, YouTube is no longer hardware accelerated under Chromium, even when using h264ify - But it is under Firefox using h264ify. The reason is because under Chromium, Video Decode is software only and there's no option to force enable it anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  7. wulfy23

wulfy23 New Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Blinky likes this.
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Are you in a position where you can compile and test the latest Mesa VC4 and V3DV drivers?

9. flu!d

I could, but I'd rather not do it on my main OS install/SSD as I use my Pi daily as much as I use my main workstation. However, I could install TwisterOS on an SD card and boot off that.

Either that, or I could just image my SSD using DD.

10. elvis

I've just built a netboot install cleaning system today that blows away my Bullseye install and resets it to vanilla in about 5 seconds, plus a Pi reboot to apply.

Was designed for a project I'm testing where I need a clean OS to verify from every few days, but I might be able to squeeze some mesa building in this week too.

[edit]

OK that was way easier than I thought.

Running RPiOS Bullseye 64bit on RPi4B. I compiled Mesa drivers vc4, v3d and v3dv to clobber the default installs.

Stock:
    # glxinfo | grep Version
    Version: 20.3.5

My compiled:
    # glxinfo | grep Version
    Version: 21.2.6

I couldn't get 21.3.X compiled easily due to newer libdrm requirements (likely something I can do, I just don't have the time to go that deep).

Chromium 95.0.4638.78-rpt4 is the currently installed version, and there's no way to enable hardware accelerated video. I can get canvas acceleration and Vulkan working, but even with all options forced, video decode remains software only.

I've only compiled high level Xorg/Mesa stuff here. Could be a problem further down in libdrm or even kernel land. I'd need way more time to go and build all that stuff.

Worth noting though that Chromium isn't crashing for me. Plays videos fine (albeit dropping lots of frames on anything over 720p30).

11. flu!d

Thanks for trying Elvis, it was worth a try.

One thing I do find interesting is that hardware acceleration 'appears' to be working under Firefox 78.15.0 ESR compared to Chromium 94.0.4515.98, both running h264ify. See the screenshots below, both running 1080p/24 just to push things as hard as I can:

Firefox:

[​IMG]

Chromium:

[​IMG]

That's a considerable difference re: Dropped frames? Note the different codecs used: avc1 vs vp09.

12. flu!d

Blinky and MUTMAN like this.
  13. Blinky

Blinky Member

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

15. Blinky

Blinky Member

16. elvis

zswap is something you can enable on stock Raspberry Pi OS. Loads of performance benefits, the same as compressed file systems (fewer/smaller IOs are excellent for slow storage, *especially* on shitty MicroSD).

My only advice for zswap on Pi is the same as BtrFS - stick with either lzo or lz4 compression. gzip and zstd are too heavyweight for the RPi's CPUs.

I've been considering making a "performance optimised" RPi image for a while. Compressed F2FS on disk, zswap, bleeding edge Mesa3D graphics. Bugs the hell out of me that these aren't defaults. They're totally transparent to 99% of users, no extra technical knowledge needed, and would really improve the performance of the RPi4 family of machines especially for everyone.

Likewise the RPiOS kernel is in dire need of an update. New kernels have so many RPi-specific additions now.

Fans are cool (pun intended), but a decent heatsink alone on an RPi4 is enough, even in hot Queensland summers. I'm really not a fan of fans (pun intended again BOOM), because

1) Moving parts break

2) Noise

3) Dust buildup, which makes heat an even worse problem if not maintained.

Anything that can live for years with a passive heatsink is a winner IMHO. My gaming area isn't air conditioned, has an RPi4 overclocked to 2GHz with a voltage boost, and happily runs well under the temperature throttle cap in Queensland heat with no issues. Spends its life constantly compiling things, testing 3D graphics, developing software, network booting into different OSes. Poor thing gets used and abused, and happily lives on with a passive heatsink.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022 at 10:54 AM
    wulfy23 likes this.