The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. brayway

brayway Member

I'm guessing it wouldn't be a good idea where I live then?
    As I'm right under the flight path to the airport 10 mins down the road...

2. IzzehO

IzzehO Member

I didn't say it sounded any good, it's just surprisingly strong. It's currently limited to 6-bit audio (as I believe the article says).

3. joshpond

joshpond Member

My googlefu is failing me so here I am.

Does anyone know of a wired keyboard with touchpad/trackpad that works with the pi?

I'd like to keep the other USB port free for a barcode reader and prefer wired so that I don't need to keep replacing the batteries.

Josh

4. IAN

IAN Member

What about USB hub? as a cheaper alternative

or a Lapdock for about $100 on ebay

There is a few different styles on ebay but i've never used one

5. joshpond

joshpond Member

I'll have a look through the eBay ones. If it's cheap enough I may try then to see if they work.

I know I can run with a usb hub but I'd like to try and cut down on the clutter. Where I want to try to run this is in the store room and space is a premium.

Just thinking also the other alternative might be a usb keyboard with an extra usb port. Not sure if the power draw would be too much but that might work.
    Josh

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  6. IAN

IAN Member

7. joshpond

joshpond Member

Yeah, I've had a look through there, only usb one is the Adesso at about $50+ dollars. Might be okay.

I'm going to have a think about it and a search around and see what else I can find, might be easier to go with the usb hub and try and find a way to mount on the wall.

Josh

8. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

just purchasing the Pi its self from au.element14.com you still need an sd card and usb power as a minimum?

9. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

10. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

11. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

Correct... ;)

The Pi only comes with just the board.. nothing else.

You will need a:

- SD Card (minimum of class 4 - I use a class 6 Transcend 8gb)
    - micro USB cable for power (I use an old iphone charger and a micro-usb cable I had floating around)

It's also handy to have an old USB mouse and keyboard so you can do some basic things when you get onto the desktop.

If you are interested in running XBMC media centre, here is a really easy way to get yourself started..

http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/user/windows-installation/

If you are wanting to get your Pi running some games, Shea Silvermans blog is awesome:

http://blog.sheasilverman.com/raspberry-pi-emulation/

hope that helps and gets you up and running...

12. brayway

brayway Member

I just installed XBMC on mine the other day, as it had been laying around doing nothing for the last few months. I was very happy to find out that I can use my TV's remote to control the interface :D

13. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

After finally getting a chance to test mine out whilst away from work, it appears that I've been sent a dud. The thing randomly freezes, normally within about 5 minutes if the case is on, longer otherwise. Power supply checked, same with peripherals.

Not impressed, given that it'll be a while for any sort of replacement, by then I'll be back to work.

14. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

have you tried different SD cards? What class card are you using? (they recommend class 4 or greater, but I've had problems with even brand names class 4 cards). :Paranoid:

Some cards can be really temperamental in the rPi.. I had one that wouldn't loaded intermittently (for everything) and then would lock up (on XBMC)..

To be safe, I use only class 6 cards..

15. brayway

brayway Member

Have you tried a larger PSU?

16. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

yep, basically all you need is a micro usb cable/power supply (many people might have an htc charger lying around) and an sd card. Once you've got those two, you can put wheezy onto the sd card, then boot via ssh (assuming you can plug it into a network). Then remotely install vnc... then do stuff either GUI or ssh.

17. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

oh? I'm using a standard cass 4 sandisk that works fine. I always format with an sd card formatter (just google). Also on the Raspberry pi wiki, there is a section for confirmed working (and not working) sd cards.

try formatting properly, checksum the image etc.

How did you check the power supply? I found my micro usb cable was the problem

18. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

Original image and SD card from supplier, tested power supply using test points on board, voltage within limits. Double checked with another different card and updated image, same symptoms.

Set multimeter to verify minimum voltage, nothing below 4.9V. Removed all other peripherals, improved if network cable removed (which isn't any good to me as I want to run the thing headless).

No big packages installed, all with base Raspbian and nothing else... I'd say its safe to consider its rooted.

19. rkaid

rkaid Member

hey ocau,

I've got a Arduino with firmata installed, and im talking to it from Raspi with pyfirmata installed.
    It works fine, i can toggle IO pins etc.

I cant though, find the documentation for pyfirmata. The commands seem different then that of normal Arduino code.

Its currently being worked on on bitBucket >> https://bitbucket.org/tino/pyfirmata/src

and

GitHub >> https://github.com/tino/pyFirmata

it "looks" like there's meant to be doco here >> http://pyfirmata.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

...but its broken?!

Does anyone have any experience with pyFirmata and can they help out with doco on the commands?

Any help would be highly appreciated.\

EDIT:

In response to my question above, the answere seems to be a simple one.
    99% of the code is now python with the difference being simple the specific code to write / read a pin etc.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  20. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

Pi just rocked up on our first day back at work. Going to be a long day before I can go home and test it :D