1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

anyone made any custom cases for the pi?

2. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Hows the v2 (512mb version) perform with xbmc?

Looking to replace my popcorn hour as i can't use the damn media jukebox function of it... it's slow as **** with the nmj.

How's it play 10gb+ mkv files?

3. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

good question, i am also thinking of grabbing one and converting it into a mini HTPC as it were.

how much power does the USB port push out...if it does?

4. Kow

Kow Member

MKV runs like pooopie most of the times. It does 720p ok but can struggle with 1080p

5. pantner

pantner Member

Both mine (i haev a 256MB and a 512MB) seem to run XBMC great.
    Running the latest version of Raspbmc/XBMC.
    Not sure if i have any 10GB MKVs, but i have some 720p (TV Shows) and 1080p MKVs (Serenity) and had no problems.
    I think people have found if you have a Hifi Recieve/Amp which handles the sound, it frees up more resources for the Pi to do video playback.

I can even stream live TV across the (wired) network to my Pi.

I guess you just have to try it yourself, takes less than an hour to setup and doesn't require much configuation to do basic video watching.

@night stalker - do you mean the Pi's USB Ports? They don't put out very much...120ma comes to mind? For power heavy devices you need to use a powered USB hub.

6. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

The USB ports on the v2 aren't limited, so they can pull as much as they want. Though as the RPi is still limited to 700mA, this can drop its voltage to the point it crashes.

7. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Thought maybe some1 already has tried it so i don't have to "waste" 100bucks on getting a case, sd card, keyboard/trackpad combo, etc etc ;)

All good i'll think about it then! thanks for the info! :)

8. thuan

thuan Member

I originally got the Pi (512mb) to be a HTPC but found that the USB2 speeds were not enough to keep up with the 1080p stuff.

I've now turned it into a headless torrentbox running with transmission webUI. Seems to work great that way.

Has anybody used deluge on the Pi before? Is it better than transmission in terms of its web interface?

9. Grant

Grant Member

Nah, I went the other way (deluge to Transmission) on an x86 VM because deluge was using too much RAM

10. tumzy

tumzy Member

I use Raspbmc and have shared all my media files on my NAS. I find that everything works fine. On the larger mkv files (around 10 - 12gb at 1080p), it buffers for 3 seconds at the beginning of playback then plays smoothly.
    On my first test run they did lag but after some research I found that connecting to the NAS as a UPNP device creates too much overhead. So I set it up as a NFS share and everything now works fine. All running over ethernet.

11. antenna

antenna Member

I found the interface of XBMC on OpenELEC on my 512mb to be too slow to be tolerable - even after doing all performance recommendations I could find. I keep trying every few months hoping it will be better. My experience so far anyway.

Wonder if I should try Raspbmc.

12. tumzy

tumzy Member

It is still a laggy interface compared to standard pc install. Apparently different skins are an improvement but I have not tested it out yet.

13. htpcfan

htpcfan Member

it's a little laggy, I'm guessing about the same speed as my WD TV.

I have a 256MB and a 512MB Pi running the latest OpenELC custom build from here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140518&pid=1295421#pid1295421

we watched a few different 720p and 1080p videos last Saturday night, including one MKV which was around 15GB in size. All played from various 3.5" USB HDDs with no skipping or stuttering.

Audio decoding was handled by a seperate surround sound processor - I don't think the Pi would be fast enough with 1080p source and doing the audio decoding itself.

No need for a remote mouse or keyboard if you're using the Pi just as an XBMC playback box.. I use the official XBMC apps as the sole remote control method. The app is available on both iOS and android (I have both an iphone 3 and a nexus 7 tablet...words fine with both of them).

14. GoofyHSK

GoofyHSK Bracket Mastah

Looks like the 4 I bought (256mb Chinas) won't be anywhere fast enough for what I'd hoped,

Wifi'd xbmc for 720p mkvs w/ no seperate sound processing - unless most tv's do this??

15. thuan

thuan Member

Thanks Grant. You probably just saved me a few hours of tinkering to get deluge to work and possibly reverting back to transmission if it didn't.

How was the webui on deluge compared of transmission webui version? I found the transmission webui lacking in some desired features like the ability to choose where the torrent should be downloaded to (without manually changing the default path) or a "move to location after complete".

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

oh ok, i'm not sure what the power consumption of a 2.5" HDD is but if it's not enough than a 3.5" powered one will suffice.

17. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Oh boy am I over this Rasp Pi business...

Bluetooth support in the included kernel is broken. I would have thought that's a fairly high priority function given how limited the device is in terms of connectivity.

Kernel panics every time it tries to use bluetooth - actually, that's a lie, it worked for nearly a fortnight before suddenly stopping and causing panics again;
    http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=6571&sid=5236

3 different BT devices tried, 3 different power sources (USB2.0 charger, computer, powerboard with a USB port).

Are there any OSs that use a newer kernel than the 3.6.1.x Raspbian is on?

18. sirelliottm

sirelliottm Member

19. gruntLOL

gruntLOL Member

So can anyone confirm what settings they are using for Openelec running on RPi v2 I'm really unhappy with the laggy menu speed. Clean install of 2.99.1 using default confluence skin, RSS disabled, 720p res (it's an older 720p TV in spare room) and opening say the movies tab chugs like crazy (15 odd seconds till I can navigate it properly) using a poster view (would switch to list etc if it helped).

Are you guys running the overclock or turbo mode at all? All my media is accessed via ethernet with no problem streaming files < 15GB in size (of which I maybe have 3). 1080p content runs perfectly it's just the actual navigation of the OS I hate. Only peripheral I have plugged in is a standard USB kb, running off an iPhone charger (will upgrade to a 2.1A adapter from Jaycar if this could be part of the problem).

20. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

Anyone get any correspondence from RS / Element14 after sending back a broken pi?

I sent my 512Mb unit back because it never behaved out of the box, was wondering whether they send you confirmation of receipt, or whether another replacement just magically turns up.