1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

they'll be fine

2. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  3. oli

oli Member

There are a few eBay sellers claiming to have stock in AU selling the new models for $70 or so. I ordered some from Element14 and they reckon it'll be shipped on the 7th.

4. NerfDude

NerfDude Member

Ordered from RS. $75 including the official case and GST.

5. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Ordered an RPi3 from GPIO au along with a flirc case. They are apparently both in stock.

Will be selling off my RPi2 in its flirc case once i get the RPi3.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Looks like a bit more float performance out of the new CPU, clock for clock.

Good news for my MAME ROMs. :)

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

great news for MAME and Openelec users.
    Will be ordering at least one tonight, maybe two.

8. millsy

millsy Member

Niiiiice, built in WiFi is great, I guess they saw the sales of the dongle vs Rpi sales and realised it's not a nice to have :)

9. idiot_child

idiot_child Member

My Pi2 is sitting unused in its pretty case with WiFi dongle while my Pi1 is still my Kodi box. I know I shouldn't buy a Pi3 but oooohhh built-in WiFi!

10. elvis

OpenElec, Kodi and other media users are more about the Broadcom Videocore IV GPU, as it has the built in h264 decoding, which is what makes the RPi so useful for media.

Try decoding a 1080p h265 on an RPi2, and it'll drop a lot of frames. That's going to be a bummer in the coming years.

It would be nice if there was a more general purpose accelerator available that could change as codecs get updated.

I'd dare say that we'll see an RPi4 in coming years with a GPU that does h265 and UHD/4K/Rec.2020 support most likely, rather than a more generic GPU that can scale. Probably ends up cheaper that way.

11. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

How easy is it to get a USB sound input working on one of these?

I'm thinking of feeding a DAB radio into one so I can stream triple J to myself over the Internet without the stupid time zone change with the official app.

12. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Compute module is getting an upgrade as well, I don't think that applies to many in the forum here, but I'm excited for it for my own work.

13. elvis

Yeah, very easy to do. There's a tonne of RPi audio projects out there already that are worth checking out. They're great devices for centralised household music control, whether it's DAB, Internet Radio, streaming services or just an MP3/AAC/Flac dump.

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Pi3 gets a 20% bump in gpu frequency. it cant hurt our uses/framerates
    maybe a bit more can be offloaded to the cpu ?

point raken about x265. although its not hard to stick with x264 for a bit longer is it?
    Im just happy that this new Pi hasnt taken forever to be announced. seems like Mr. Upton will keep a steady flow of these updated broadcom SOC coming through to the Pi lineup :thumbup:

15. elvis

The GPU appears to be very limited in what decode functions it supports. Given that it's all proprietary, it's difficult to to tell whether or not a simple firmware/driver update could gain the extra features, or whether it would require an architectural update to the GPU.

I know when I decode H.265 on my RPi2, you can see very clearly that the GPU is not doing anything. Everything falls back to 100% CPU decoding, which is very obious in tools like "htop" when you compared H.264 and H.265 playback.

For now, if I find myself with H.265 media, I can just re-encode it back to H.264. Not a huge task (literally an ffmpeg one-liner on a more powerful system, and then wait for the transcode). But given that H.265 will be the defacto codec moving forwards, it would be nice to have. Although I'm sure that will happen in upcoming models.

Yeah, all my comments above are minor niggles at best. I'm definitely glad we're seeing roughly annual bumps to these devices lately. I think that's a pretty reasonable thing, considering how cheap they are. Happy to have a limited chip that's dirt cheap, with a new model (that's still largely backwards compatible) in 12 months. Not a terrible way to do it, and the support so far has been great.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I cant find a link but I read a peice where Upton said the vidcore would remain proprietary due to a license arrangment with Broadcom.

possibly something about keeping the price lower that way ? It was a fair while back so my memory is a bit faded on the fine details.

17. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

18. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Do Plex and Kodi not support on-the-fly transcoding for H.265 yet?
    I've been a bit out of touch with media manager software since Netflix ate the world.

Cue a bunch of watercooled RPi projects in the modding forum. :lol:

19. elvis

Sure, but why transcode something every time you watch it when you can transcode it once to disk and save millions of watts?

isn't the whole point of RPi style devices to be sensible about power usage?

20. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

Its already a thing. :lol:

[​IMG]

Also there has been some talk about the possibility of Kodi H.265 hardware acceleration on current RPi's.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016