The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

to be fair. you can buy a vc1 and mpeg licenses for all of 6 bucks
    opens up a lot of options

2. orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

My guess would be that you would want a neat little box instead of a messy big box sitting behind your TV:D
    What I was trying to say was for the same price as the pi you could get a desktop computer.

3. orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

4. grrrr

grrrr Member

So is the ODROID-C2 actually better for a home theater setup?

Supports 4k
    Built-in IR receiver
    fast ethernet.

I haven't looked into it but if the 7 pin I2S supports external clocking that would make the audio freaks happy too. (Can use more DACs)

I want something decent with a sata port, that is still low power. The only thing I have found is the original banana pi BPI-M1 with the A20 Soc. Seems everything else with SATA ports just have USB to SATA devices onboard and it is actually faster to plug in your own USB Hdd. Edit. Just found other ODROIDs with USB 3 XU4 but at $145, I may as well buy a $75 PC and pay for electricity.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

That's sarcasm right? H.264 is superior to both (which all RPi models can do ), and H.265 is better again (which no RPi models can do).

6. petercr

petercr Member

Anyone with a Pi3 added a power / reset button to it? Ages ago I added one to my current Pi by shorting 2 of of GPIO pins, wanted to know if the same could be achieved with the latest version.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  7. orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

I would imagine that the C2 would be the best for a home theater setup that a pi.
    I am a fan of the banana pi but the original BPI-M1 isn't what I would call decent. (crappy board quality)
    You are right about the XU4 and the PC, but the PC would be nosier, cost more in electricity and would be much bigger.

8. orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

9. Lasmi

Lasmi Member

Absolutely. I've got the C1 and it's brilliant so doubling the RAM and even more grunt from the CPU/GPU would be even better. I can't imagine it will be much faster though as the C1 is very fast as it is. One benefit of the extra RAM would be you could have a massive cache (768mb wouldn't stress it) so for small sized content you could cache it all and let the source go back to sleep or allow you to watch content over wifi that the network isn't fast enough for (start it then pause and let the cache fill).

One negative is that at this stage, a week or so prior to release, there's only one person working on a development build for openelec however I'm positive that will change very quickly once more people get their hands on them. You'll want to use openelec as the linux builds for the C1 couldn't match the display refresh rate to the videos for Kodi and the C2 will probably be the same.

Another is it's a bit of a pia for setting up a universal remote with the built in IR receiver as you have to manually do each button. I cbf so just used an old generic MCE remote as that's plug and play.

A bonus is if your TV has USB ports, of sufficient power, then that's also your on/off switch. If it doesn't then nyeah, leave it running 24/7 as it probably consumes less power at peak than the TV on standby.

Some mobile chipsets can natively support SATA but I'm yet to see one released. I want it for a cheap NAS, just a file server, but when I saw the Seagate 4bay for $199 it was too cheap to pass on.

You'd hope so. h.264 is vastly superior to both and h.265 is pretty much the same improvement yet again.

10. phantompisser

phantompisser Member

I pre purchased an Odroid C2 the other day (Ships in less than a week) for about $80Aus shipped with a case from Hardkernal . I'm hoping that the HDMI-CEC works as well as what my current RPi's do . I normally use Yatse anyway which works a treat from my phone but the TV remote is often more handy . I would have liked an emmc module as well but I thought I'd wait and see if it's any good first . The eMMC module appears to be proprietary which sort of sucks .

As much as I love my Pi's I just thought I would try something a bit different for fun . H.265 and gigabit lan are sweeteners and I don't need wireless offered with the new RPi3 .

Yes I too was waiting for the holy grail of SBC nas controllers but alas settled for a $99 netgear NAS that works OK , not great but OK .

11. petercr

petercr Member

12. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I'm running one of those usb inline switches like that ebay auciton and a 2A power supply for my RPi3 without issue so far.

I don't think you need all that much more of a power supply than for the RPi2 unless you have extra devices plugged into the Pi that draw power.

13. grrrr

grrrr Member

davex3 is correct.
    Using 4 cores and wifi is about 750ish mA (0.75A).
    The 2.5A recommendation is for supplying power to the USB devices.
    http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/43285/raspberry-pi-3-vs-pi-2-power-consumption-and-heat-dissipation

14. petercr

petercr Member

In that case I might order one of those cables... Found a spare 2.1A USB wall-wart today that I can use. (and will take the Pi PSU to work as a phone charger)

15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

good chance your phone wont go into high power suck mode. pi psu doesnt have the correct terminator resistors on the data pins
    at least i found that with my pi 2amp supply and my phone

no sacasm at all.
    just because the format is older doesnt mean theres no use for it.
    vc1 is what blurays are in right? maybe the pi3 can do uncompressed br playback?
    mpeg lic came in handy at work for melbourne cup. we dont have any terrestial tv reception in the building, so one of the tech support guys did a stream from his n54l boxen ( with usb tuners) at home to a pi at work.
    did the trick ok

i did a quick search on a site i know
    x264 - 9864 results
    x265 - 523 results
    so 5 and a bit percent. I'll hazard a guess nothing in x265 wasnt also in x264

16. petercr

petercr Member

I have a Nexus 5X and a USB A to C cable that I know supports fast charging so we'll see...

17. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

x265 is the future, already moving a lot of my stuff over to it. I can literally store twice as much content on the same storage device without any noticeable degradation of quality.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

OK fair enough if that's your use case. Speaking for myself, I consider free-to-air television dead and buried, and BluRay getting to be quite close. When it comes to media consumption, I'm only interested in what streaming services can provide, which means modern codecs like H.264, H.265 and VP9.

Indeed, my RPi-powered Kodi boxes got installed the day I threw out my bulky MythTV boxes, and with them my two last PCI DVB-T tuner cards, which are now scrap.

H.265 is very new, so adoption isn't that high right now. Regardless, the point is that codecs change and improve (one day H.265 will be the 95%, and there'll be something newer to replace it too).

I'd hope that GPU manufacturers look to generic, low level instruction types to accelerate video decompression, rather than lock in specific codecs to their chips. Anyone who remembers the dark old days of 3dfx 3D cards that only did Glide appreciates why we have high-level 3D APIs like Direct3D and OpenGL/Vulkan now, instead of manufacturer/API-specific hardware.

Limiting your chip to just H.264 makes it's shelf life pretty low. Again, the only redeeming feature here is the extremely low price of the RPi, which means justifying another $50 outlay at some point in the future for a new version that does H.265 isn't entirely insane. The whole "e-waste" thing makes me a bit sad, but that's a different rant.

19. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah another positive experience with the C1, gigabit on a non shared USB bus + IR was the kicker for me.

20. Conquerer

Conquerer (Banned or Deleted)

Tried the pi 3 today as a media player. Works nicely playing off usb stick.
    Only thing is video youtube and browsing is slow and choppy :(

Guess got to suck it up and buy a htpc.

The Pi has moved to the server closet now. Going to change it into dedicated downloader + file server around the house on my 2nd internet connection. Anyone know how many megabytes a sec this thing will cap out at for lan transfers?