The 'Raspberry Pi' thread

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by HyRax1, May 8, 2011.

1. millsy

millsy Member

I think if you want youtube a chromecast or similar dedicated device is a better option.

Also just grab a general linux ISO and dump in /dev/null if you want to test transfer speeds :)

*edit* or tears of steel in 4k or something https://mango.blender.org/download/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. grrrr

grrrr Member

Aussies getting excluded again :(

wd pidrive 314gb with an introductory price of $31USD. (RRP 46USD)

*Sold in US, UK, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cypress, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia,Slovenia, Sweden

http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/wd-pidrive-314gb/

Maybe the world isn't as small as I thought.

3. Conquerer

Conquerer (Banned or Deleted)

Can we not buy this on ebay or online site? or is the included powerpack not rated for here?

4. grrrr

grrrr Member

The power pack is probably part of the issue. Remember they have already made different packs for the US, UK, and Europe. The ones for the UK and Europe are 240V so we would only need an adapter or a slightly design with the correct pins.

I doubt we will get special pricing buying them from ebay. Not sure how international warranties work either.

5. mike-s

mike-s Member

If I or someone else finds links to a place to buy it online I might have a go at getting my hands on one via freight forwarding from California.

Never mind, took me two minutes to Find it. I have ordered the drive, all-in-one enclosure and the cable, which came to $61usd posted to California. The 1Tb kit is 79.99USD, but that doesn't include an enclosure, which would be about $10-15 more. As to the power pack, if it cannot handle 110-240v and only handle 110v then I'll toss it in the bin and substitute one of my own power packs, otherwise this will do nicely.

Now to see how much forwarding will cost, I anticipate it'll be about $25

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  6. oli

oli Member

Anyone know of a local supplier with 6 port powered USB hubs to run 6x Raspberry Pi 3s? I found a few internationally only so far.

Bonus if it has individual power switched on each port.

Many suppliers have 6 port powered hubs but don't list power output on each port and I don't want to risk issues with power when running 6 raspis. They won't have anything else connected to them so power draw is just the raspi itself.

7. scorpia

scorpia Member

something like this work?

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables...port-desktop-usb-charger-with-6x-poweriq.html

if its only for power then do you really want a USB hub?

8. oli

oli Member

Nice, hadn't seen that one before. Thanks.

Yes it's just for power so technically don't need a hub; but not sure of the other options if I just want to power a stack of these raspis together and I don't have electronics knowledge to wire up my own PSU. :o

9. grrrr

grrrr Member

Do you mind if we ask what you intend to use 6 x raspberry pi 3s for?

Have you bought a stack of bitcoin mining usb thingys you want to stick on them?

10. oli

oli Member

Nothing relating to bitcoin mining. I will PM you. :)

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Grab any 5VDC PSU that has 6+Amp and wire to the GPIO headers directly is another option

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Note that there's a couple of subtleties to powering the Pi through a GPIO header:

1. They'd really prefer you didn't
    2. If you apply 5V to a 3.3V pin, you WILL kill the Pi
    3. If you apply reverse polarity to the GPIO pins, you WILL kill the Pi
    4. If you power through the GPIO pins, you bypass the polyfuse that provides overcurrent protection
    5. Each pin is only rated for a few hundred milliamps, so to supply the Pi safely you'll need to supply power through ALL the 5V pins, not just one

There are situations in which this is a reasonable thing to do (battery "backpacks" etc) but I'd avoid it where possible.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

all good points :)

i didnt realise the gpio pins couldnt shouldnt power up a pi on a single pin. ive run a pi2 and a HAT dac via a single pin (plus and minus)

its an officially endorsed and suggested method with the 7" touch screen ? they supply the cables in the kit ;)

14. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

For just the Pi itself, sure. They only draw about half an amp flat out. About an amp for a Pi 3 using WiFi.

But they also have a couple of USB ports, and with MAX_USB_CURRENT=1 you can pull another 1.2 amps out those. Another 250mA if you use the Pi Camera. Now you're making me uncomfortable.

(In general, setting MAX_USB_CURRENT=1 while bypassing the polyfuse is probably a bad idea)

I don't want to overstate the case - it's not a terribly dangerous thing to do. But it requires a bit of care.

15. RnR

RnR Member

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/bl...y-pi-goes-hi-fi-with-audio-valve-amp-2016-04/

Coming to a kickstarter next week or so.

16. Perko

Perko Member

Quick question, getting a lot of old info.
    Google included ARM binaries from Chrome 25 and on, does this include the version that you pull from the dl.google.com repo for *nix, (ie not Chromium)? Or would Firefox be a better option? Just throwing together a Pi kiosk for a client's workshop staff to use, (basic web front end for job card management etc), and the vendor is trying to sell them a full POS POS for $$$$ and are giving them ye olde, "we don't support open source browsers, only IE, Chrome and Firefox on Windows."
    Given the level of the database front end that we're talking about here, I'm guessing that it'll run on pretty much any browser, but I just want to make sure that I'll have the option to run Chrome or Firefox on the Pi if they've done something either more complicated, or stupid, than I give them credit for.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

18. Perko

Perko Member

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

what about an intel compute or computer on a stick ?
    they're both x86, and should run any of the browsers easily

price wise, a little more expensive but might be worth it from your perspective ???

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've found very little that will run on Chrome and not Chromium. Generally speaking the only edge case there are codecs or video content that require DRM (Netflix, for example).

Chromium will easily run things like Google Apps/Drive, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitch, and other stuff. Anything that's a simple web frontend is no trouble. Java is handled easily these days by the OpenJDK plugins.

RPi kiosks are definitely an option today. For sub-$100, an RPi+case+power+keyboard+mouse combo is very much a viable desktop tool for many businesses who just need basic web/email tools.