The Razer Mamba Review

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by eastley, Apr 28, 2009.

Tags:
  1. eastley

eastley Member

It's been a long time since I ever laid my hands on a wireless mouse, the last being a MX Revolution. I have been a gamer for years and have always used corded mice, from the popular Logitech MX518 to the G9, but my most favorite is the Razer Death Adder.

I was extremely excited when I first came across the announcement of a new Razer mouse, the Mamba. A wireless mouse with 1ms polling rate, I thought to myself it can't be.

Then there were the options to have it cabled while it charged, superb I thought, but the one thing that I needed from it was that the shape be like a Death Adder, I have tried the Lachises and found it to hard to get to the side buttons, which I use to knife in Call Of Duty 4.

I studied the pictures, the videos, anything I could find, it appeared to be a similar shape of the Death Adder, not the Lachesis, with an added bonus of a better looking scroll wheel.

So I took the plunge and ordered one, to my surprise is was delivered quickly and within no time I had it in my hands. How did it feel? Well, like a Death Adder, and I was stoked. All buttons with my usual grip I could get too, the only slight issue is the two buttons on top of the mouse on left side of the right click, they need to much pushing and it gives it a weak feeling, even though it is not.

The mouse has all the usual buttons Razer normally uses, with the addition of those two buttons I just mentioned. On the bottom of the mouse it has a On/Off button, Wireless connection and an eject button to remove the usb cable. The wheel is a little different than Razer's usual, the side of each wheel now has a strip which lights up blue while the center remains Razer's usual style, but black.

The recharging stand, which doubles up as the wireless receiver is very nicely built, it has a button on the front for connection which you hold along with the connect button on the mouse to pair the devices. The mouse sits on a 45 degree angle when charging and looks the part, with a blue light surrounding the base, and the connect button also lights up blue around it.

I finally got it all setup, updated the firmware using Razer's fimrware update software on their website, no issues there. I also grabbed the latest drivers and loaded them on to my computer.

Then is was down to the fun part, the gaming. I was so shocked when I loaded up COD4, that it felt and moved like higher DPI Death Adder, my scores where the same if not better as I felt more free with this mouse, I felt more in control as there is no cord to constrict any movement.

No usual wireless mouse lag to report, it worked like a corded mouse, it too me is the perfect mouse, for gaming and Razer have themselves a winner here. It was precise, I have no mouse jumping that some other reviewers may have reported, but I can nearly guarantee the issue is because of the mouse pads they used. This a one heck of a sensitive mouse, my choice of mouse pad is the Razer Galiathus, it worked splendidly.

Here are some pictures:

The empty box!

[​IMG]

Mouse Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never took one with it on the stand, here is Razer's though.
    http://www.razerzone.com/media/cata...63dc5ec28f3175f8a7f615bd217eb71/1/9/198_5.JPG

Oh I forgot to mention, where you put the battery into the mouse, there is some black plastic with serial# etc on it, it has a tab that says pull me, I pulled it as I never read the instructions, I yanked fairly hard and it came out, but after reading instructions. It was suppose to stay in there so you can take the battery out easier. The battery sits on top, the tab sticks and and you pull it to pull the battery out. Fail me, but no big drama as I can still get the battery, just not as easy.

Any other questions please feel free to ask!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. zdream

zdream Member

Looks nice! love my deathadder.. shape looks the same.

3. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

I'm a lefty, so i was spewing when i found out this mouse was moulded like a deathadder. I just bought myself a lachesis after my copperhead died - and i love it so far.

5600 DPI though - holy crap!

Whats the battery life like?

4. OP
    OP
    eastley

eastley Member

Quoted at 14 hours continues gaming, not yet tested that.

5. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

14 hours = not long enough for a lan - but you say something about a connection for a cable? can it be a wired mouse as well?

6. OP
    OP
    eastley

eastley Member

Sure can, charge while u Frag!

7. minushuman

minushuman Member

Very tempting. Might pick it up if my Habu ever gives up the go.

Loving my Razer Tarantula too... great company :thumbup:

8. hsv2000

hsv2000 Member

Cool review. Thanks! :thumbup:
    What mouse surface are you using?

9. OP
    OP
    eastley

eastley Member

10. maev

maev Member

its funny, just now i was looking the buy a wireless mouse with a decent charging system and looked on static to find this but could not find it. i need something decent for tafe so i can use it with my msi wind. the little mouse pad thingo is piss ant to use.

i guess i should ask; where did u order it from and how much?

stupendous review.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  11. yellow_cake

yellow_cake Member

im pretty certain he got it from the Razer website for about $220AUD (thats an estimate) because i just did the same thing :D

12. OP
    OP
    eastley

eastley Member

That would be correct :)

Quick shipping too.

13. yellow_cake

yellow_cake Member

im hoping FedEx will get it to me on friday

14. Grizz_li

Grizz_li Member

You've just became cooler! :thumbup:
    I want to be you're friend :p

Time to retire the G7.
    Oh did I mentioned you're mouse is cool.

15. carbon_death

carbon_death Member

I need one, i the old g5 is wearing out, she's starting to squeek abit.. :rolleyes:
    When are they for sale in australia?

16. OP
    OP
    eastley

eastley Member

It has got to the stage where if I use anything but a Razer mouse that my hands hurt when using a Logitech one, lol.

I never liked the buttons on G5, they have to give/bounce which makes it harder to press faster for me.

17. akashra

akashra Member

Is this the first released revision of the Mamba? I don't remember hearing of it being released, but I certainly remember seeing the prototype designs that Razer released before the first time they were bought out.
    This obviously looks nothing like those concepts did.

18. AusScare

AusScare Member

I've been waiting for a wireless mouse from Razer for a long time.

My G7 is getting old, cracked and the batteries die far too quickly for my liking.

I'll be buying one of these asap :thumbup:

19. pusbag

pusbag (Banned or Deleted)

So you're saying you sit at the computer for 14 hours straight?

I'm sure during your ~30min food breaks or whatever if you chucked it on the charger your battery life would go far beyond 14 hours.

Or you could just plug it in for a bit and play with it plugged in to charge.

Sounds like an awesome mouse, if I wasn't in love with my G9 I'd buy this...bit wary of wireless mice since my G7 starting having dropout issues.

20. stablez

stablez Member

Ill have to test one to get the feel.
    Iam not that fussy with other than my New G5 corded mouse.
    But they get the read up..