The Riftbreaker

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Jun 9, 2020.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Sledge likes this.
  2. Sledge

Sledge Member

looks interesting

3. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

It's out, looks fun. Co op coming.

Is demo on steam or it's on xbox for Windows gamepass.

Sankari likes this.
  4. Ck21

Ck21 Member

Bought it yesterday on steam, looks amazing, but has performance issues, esp when it hits 3.6GiB ram usage, appears to be a 32bit app with largeaddressaware flag enabled, and when it hits that magical number, slows to a crawl for a few mins, then speeds back up & down every few mins, makes it unplayable, will be waiting awhile for some badly needed memory management updates, otherwise interesting game :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Strange. Mack seems to have no issues and nothing on steam reviews about that.

Maybe windows store version issue?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  6. Ck21

Ck21 Member

FYI all from the steam store.

there are a few people who are experiencing it, its just a very low handful of people, might be a bug with like a 1 in a million chance of experiencing it, or triggers on certain configs.
    the one common thing im seeing across all that i can find is; nvidia 2k series gpus.

for eg; i have 2 dell g7 laptops (only pc's i have that run win10, cause gaming on linux on a laptop isnt fluid like windows yet), different revisions, so 1 has a 9k series cpu, other a 10series, but same ram/nvidia 2070 gpu/ssds, both different versions of win10, both lastest gpu driver, and both experience this problem, i have tripled checked, they arnt throttling in any way, and they both hit the slowdowns when the game hits 3600-3692mb of ram usage, game will drop from 126fps avg to 10fps, when its ram usage drops from peak (3692) back to/just under 3600mb, fps returns to 120fps+ till it peaks again, then it drops again, just to be clear, there is no stutter, GPU % stays between 86-99%, gpu clocks dont move, cpu clocks stay in 4-4.1ghz range, both gpus @ 58 degrees. Have tried removing each stick of ram and testing it solo, same results, all sticks pass memtest, all signs point to the games memory management being the culprit. and yes, i can play other games fine with zero slowdowns, only riftbreaker suffers.

there is a guy running a AMD 3950x / 16gb ram / 2080ti, has same problem
    more cases, all have 2k series gpu in common:
    4790k / 16gb ram / 2080
    5600x / 16gb ram / 2070super
    3300x / 16gb ram / 2080super
    9600k / 16gb ram / 2060

Funny thing is, i can play the prologue from start to finish no dramas, but 1st mission of the campaign..... :upset:

might see if i can find the spare ssd with win10 on it at some point, and load it up on the main rig and see what happens :thumbup:

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. ShaggyMoose

ShaggyMoose Member

I expect these guys will sort it out; they are fairly cutting edge from a hardware utilisation standpoint compared to most indie devs.

8. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I just played a little bit and game ran fine on 2080ti 100+ fps no dramas.

Seems like itl take a bit of getting used to, lots going on.. the first mission had me building towers but they appeared unpowered? or had red symbol on them?

9. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Not having any issue with GTX 1080. Buttery smooth until auto save kicks in. The slowdown at autosave is noticeable. Should have put it on my NVME.

Towers with lightning symbol don't have power. You can buffer for power fluctuations by building batteries. Also make sure to connect your towers to your base (press Z) and build those nodes. Have multiple connections because they are easily destroyed by enemy forces. Nothing like a line of towers power down because one energy node got taken out.

Power fluctuates depending on your energy suppliers. Wind goes up and down depending on the weather. Solar only works during the day and not during sand/thunderstorms. You can burn fossil fuels. Late game you have nuclear power.

Some towers also require ammunition which you have an ammo manufacturing factory later.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  10. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

How do you get power to them? My energy said 20/20

11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Press Z and build connector nodes to between the towers and your power supply / batteries.

You also have the option to build local power grids or run connector nodes all the way back to your outpost/HQ.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    walker_2003 likes this.
  12. Onthax

Onthax Member

Enjoyed the demo, and looking forward to Coop.

How are you finding release version, lots of fun?

13. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

20 hours in, it's ok. Campaign's about half way.

14. Ck21

Ck21 Member

so, 16hrs in, on the dell g7 with the 9k series cpu/2070, managed to fix the regular slowdowns by turning off sound, and setting autosave to 60mins.
    other laptop, still no good, matched settings to the older model, slowdowns presit, had the game crash, citing the sound calls, so updated the onboard sound drivers to latest version, slowdowns now only bring the framerate to 48fps, but it stutters like mad, making it still unplayable.
    noticed that when the game isnt fullscreen and in focus, fps is locked to 15fps, so disabled steam overlay and changed to fullscreen vs borderless fullscreen, slowdowns still occur, but back down to 15fps, gpu usuage still showing 98%, but unplayable mess. :upset:

plays fine on my desktop on either 1070 or 1080ti...... :confused:

the search for a workaround and/or fix continues! :thumbup:

15. Sankari

Sankari Member

Runs nicely on my 1070 Ti. No problems here.

16. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Apart from the technical issues, how is the game itself? Good fun?

17. Ck21

Ck21 Member

Not bad, its not perfect, but its a good mixup between starcraft 2/diablo in my book. The constant "natural diasters" can be annoying (metor showers/tornados) and seem to be on a timer, just hope the rng rolls fog/rain (stops solar panels)/electrical storms instead and your sweet.

I havent played all of the campaign yet, ive researched and made a massive base, and just jumped into the desert, to continue the campaign, and it hard crashed. had to kill the game with task manager, reloaded back up, same thing, hard crash.

but other then that, not bad not bad :thumbup:

18. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I love watching swarms die to artillery and rail gun towers.

19. Ck21

Ck21 Member

how good is the swarm AI, easily the best ive ever seen in a game to date.

try equipping dual sniper rifles, and charge shoot through the middle of an attack, but do it horizontally if that make sense, and watch how much you can wipe out in a single dual shot lol.

My bro had dual snipers equipped, and watching him wait until a massive swarm is attacking the walls, runs outside, lines up with the walls, and unleashes = first 2or 3 rows instanta gib!
    Now thats efficiency :thumbup:

edit, i'm enjoying the flamethrowers waaaay too much, can burn down half the forest :Pirate:

20. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

acid yeast and flame thrower is magic.