1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rig and The Loop

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by robinson92, Jan 6, 2011.

1. robinson92

robinson92 Member

First off let me apologise if this is placed in the wrong thread, but I feel this is more suited to a section bout water cooling. I am going to be placing a water cooling system in a new rig I am looking at. I was going for a 2 loop system from the EK watercooling range and having 1 loop for 2 ati 6900's and another for the CPU and Motherboard (more than likely a Crosshair IV).

First off I want to know if I should go for 2 separate loops or 1 large loop with 2 radiators in it between 2 sets of components?

Next is a case that can handle the job. I am looking at 3 cases that seem suitable for what I am chasing.

The first is the Lian Li PC-P50RSE Special Edition
    [​IMG]
    Although this is only a Mid Tower case it's a very nice looking unit with a large amount of drive bays and aside from the water cooling system, it oes not have space I wouldn't be using for hardware (looking at 2 HDD's and 1 Optical drive). The 2 top 120mm fans would easily fit 2 radiators for 2 loops up there.

The second is the NZXT Phantom Red
    [​IMG]
    This is more than likely the case I will be getting as it's a decent amount cheaper than the Lian Li and still has a fantastic tool-less mounting system. It also boasts water cooling bays but I am having trouble finding exactly how the case supports the system. It also seems I'd have to purchase more fans but this is a very minor expense.

The last is the Coolermaster HAF 932 (hopefully the AMD Edition)
    [​IMG]
    Another full sized case that supports 3*120MM fans at the top that I can mount 1*120mm radiator for the GPU loop and 1*240mm radiator for the CPU/Motherboard loop and is also the cheapest case of the 3.

My cooling loops I am planning will consist of EK VGA, CPU and Motherboard plates, 2 Laning DDC pumps and an EK Bayspin Dual loop Reservoir, with 3/8" tubing, barb fittings and hose clamps.

I will be using the system for gaming, but also to test it's overclocking capacities as well and I'm happy to spend a little extra on it

2. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

welcome robinson :)

you came to the right place mate :thumbup:
    first off easy one.
    1 loop.(more efficient use of available cooling power)
    loop order doesn't matter,whatever looks better/shortest easiest route, except res before pump to ensure impeller stays wet.......

as for case, you cant go wrong with a LiLi :thumbup: they are all win
    worth every cent of the price, all quality, nuff said
    i'm not too impressed by the HAFs or the phantom, i have an old asus vento that looks very similar (won it years ago from atomic :D ) looks kinda interesting from the outside, but nothing much interesting happening inside.
    Glad u didn't suggest an 800D they are a tank! :thumbdn:
    I really like the Lian Li PC-P50RSE Special Edition!
    Instant mod, just add water :D
    My vote is LiLi/phantom/haf :thumbup:

i dont like bayres, they are a pita to work with, unless u can mount it right at the top and have direct access to the fillports so u dont have to slide it out to fill.

be warned!
    once you start spending money on wc you will not stop!
    you will say you can stop anytime you like, everyone does....
    :lol:

3. OP
    OP
    robinson92

robinson92 Member

True the armoursuit is good stuff, but it is only a medium case so does it have room to mount a decent radiator? (the headroom looks small). I suppose I could fit 2*140mm at the top and 1*120 at the rear or 1*280mm and 1*120 but would there be room?

As for the loop, the way I see it is I have 3 things to cool... A cpu, a motherboard (I know it's not overly important but I am looking at 2 6900's and they will be running a little hot) and parralleled GPUs.
    Large radiator --> CPU --> Motherboard --> Small Radiator --> GPUs --> large radiator ect.. or just
    component --> small radiator --> component --> small radiator --> component --> small radiator

As for Bayres... I think it just looks better than a cylinder and it'll make use of some of those front phunky armoursuit bays

4. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

the temp will average out over it anyway make.
    that's what most of the tests show anyway.

And the Lian Li PC-P50RSE Special Edition looks bloody epic :)

5. OP
    OP
    robinson92

robinson92 Member

I have made some measurements and the 280 EK radiator measuring LxWxH 317x145x55. The Li has a small 'ridge' of metal below the fans that will cause it to mount a few cm away from the fan, which is good because it eliminates the deadspot but bad, because the motherboards RAM slots are too close to mount both. The Armoursuit is I think, to small for a watercooling system.

So it's either the phantom, HAF or maybe the Antec Dark Fleet DF-85, but this case is WAY to big in terms of hard drive bays ect.

Edit: LIAN LI PC-A77FB with... RED LED FANS =D yes?

Edit: For $460... =(

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  6. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

I got the Phantom with some water gear in it. Can cram some shit in there if you really want.

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    robinson92

robinson92 Member

Thats helpful I can see there's a tonne of space in that for a system, how hard was it mounting?

8. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

easy as bro, couple of screws in the top to hold rad and bobs your uncle :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    robinson92

robinson92 Member

Might go the Lian Li A77FB with red LED's, strip it doen and spray paint the silver skeleton red, cut out a see through side panel and sort of having look like a large special edition ^.~

It has way to many HDD bays... but they are removable and will make more room for a radiator >:-D

10. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

dont get the Lian Li unless u like priaprism.........

11. OP
    OP
    robinson92

robinson92 Member

... Really? >.>

12. converge

converge Member

1 loop, doesn't matter on the order. Get the biggest case you can, I see you metioned the A77F :thumbup:

Just wanted to say, nzxt cases are all absolute garbage.

13. OP
    OP
    robinson92

robinson92 Member

All show and no go?

14. converge

converge Member

They are all made of plastic and steel, build quality is 0.

15. MorgzMods

MorgzMods Member

made my evening :)
    and since it's nearly tomorrow for me, it'll make most of my day tomorrow too ;D

16. /\/\usE+

/\/\usE+ Member

As you say, they are crapola :lol:

The plastic 5 1/4 drive retention clips feel like they are gonna snap always, the paint finish is both uneven and non-existant in some places. The layout I cant find too much to whinge about but then after the rest of the initial inspection I gave up looking and just thought I'd mod it to something I can live with but even then I just cbf and stuck it all in until I can afford another decent case, like a Lian-Li again :lol:

I've loved :Paranoid: :lol: every Lian-Li I've had so far :thumbup:

17. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

Yup lian li cases give me a semi as well, i've had a few now...

The thing with lian li is this they don't really make a case ready to go for watercooling, sure they have the "rubber watercooling holes" fitted in the rear but nothing like Corsair or CM haf cases where you can neatly bolt in a 3x120mm rad internally to the top, also if they did make one it would no doubt be $700 or more where as $400 should be a sweetspot for a quality and functional case after all it is just aluminum sheeting.

18. OP
    OP
    robinson92

robinson92 Member

Weren't we just sh!tt!ng on the HAF's? Didn't realise they were plastic :sick: I might as well use Tupperware and make a Thermaltake level 10... as for Corsair.... I don't really like their cases, can't really see anything wrong with them but they are very boxy.

Pretty sure I'm going to go the Li, replace the blue LED fans with red ones and spray paint anything silver red... and see about adding a clear screen on one side.