The Simple Snacks Sticky Thread!

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Ma Baker, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Pegasus76

Pegasus76 Member

Salty sweet goodness!!!

I had about half a tub of popcorn left over from seing the "hobbit" in the cinema, and brought it home, why i dunno, but being over half a tub of large popcorn i didnt want to ditch it.

later at home with heaps of salty good cinema popcorn,and half a bag of peanut m&ms so made the following concoction:

Pour popcorn into baking tray lined with baking paper, add m&ms, melt 2 large mars bars, pour melted mars over popcorn and m&ms, place in fridge till hardened.

Salty sweet goodness!!!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. damo13579

damo13579 Member

Mars bar slice

cant get much easier than mars bar slice.
    3 mars bars
    3 cups of rice bubbles
    3 ounce butter

melt butter and mars bars. mix with rice bubbles. pour into tray lined with baking paper and throw in fridge.
    easy to remember recipe, 3 of everything :thumbup:

3. roomandu

roomandu Member

Grab some of yesterdays spit roast beef from fridge, and place in small container. Insert into microwave for about 60-80 second on medium heat (you will hear when it starts to crackle n pop).
    While this is happening take one very fresh (my son is a baker :thumbup:) bread roll and slice open.
    Take beef and liberally apply to roll. Add a blend of ground pepper corns/berries and top with some slices of cheese.
    Total time about 2 mins. :D :thumbup:

(I would post pics but ..... well you know a tad hungry :lol:)

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

You know what would make that even better? Mustard!

5. roomandu

roomandu Member

hehehe someone after my own heart :D indeed yes it does. Have found the MASTERFOODS wholegrain selection to be very complimentary for a lot of dishes :D

:shock: and I forgot to mention salt to taste too ;)

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Thomy sharfe

7. pugsley

pugsley Member

Hot english with roast beef rolls. *Drools*

Just had an egg jaffle. Added a bit of mesquite smoked bbq sauce to it too for something a little different. Worked well!

8. JugV2

JugV2 Member

How do you add an egg in a jaffle? Do you just crack it on the bread, whack the other bit on and slam it shut?

I would have thought it would run out the sides.

9. pugsley

pugsley Member

Pretty much. Larger slices of bread work better to hold everything in.
    I put the slice of bread in then press it down into the mold to create somewhere for the egg to sit. Crack the egg in and crack some pepper over it. Maybe some cheese if i am feeling especially indulgent. Then the other bit of bread goes on top and you close it up as normal. Any spillage (If any) you get sets almost instantly on contact with the elements.

You just have to cook them a little longer than you would a cheese jaffle to make sure the egg white sets well. But it's a beautiful thing getting the egg just right with a nice melty yolk :p

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

when a bit of egg runs out onto the jaffle iron it toasts up all crispy. Drool.

11. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

You gotta add some ham if you're doing an egg jaffle! Also makes it much easier if you' have the 1 pocket jaffle maker rather than the type that splits it into two triangles. I also never butter the bread if I am doing egg jaffles to make sure the bread doesn't get burnt.

12. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I was at a party saturday night and they had some superb snacks.

Jalapeno Poppers:

Get a whole jalapeno, not the wet jar ones, stuff it with cream cheese and bacon, crumb it and deep fry it for a couple minutes.

Dip it in some garlic aoli.

eat that fucker, sweat a little bit, laugh at the "true aussies" who find pepper too spicy and are dying of chilli overload, and eat another one.

I ate five or six of these bad boys. Soooo nice. Had them whilst watching Collingwood getting flogged and drinking 150 Lashes.

13. smork

smork I'm Batman

Click to view full size!

5 Minute Mint Chocolate Cup Cakes

Makes 2-3

Self raising flour - 3tbsp
    Cadbury mint drinking chocolate powder - 2tbsp
    Sugar - 2.5tbsp
    Milk - 2tbsp
    Egg - 1 x-large
    Oil - 1tbsp
    Freddo frogs - 2

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl (I use a Pyrex jug), use a rolling pin over freddo frogs to crush them in to crumbs (in the packet so there's no mess). Divide over 2 or 3 mugs and microwave each one separately for ~90 seconds

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I am soooo going to make these, resting safe in the knowledge nobody else around me will want to touch them... Muahahahha :D

15. BlueRaven

BlueRaven yep, that's probably about right

The most funnest thing about them is that whole fresh Jalapenos can vary quite a lot in heat, even in the same batch from the same plant.

I made a batch of eight which varied from "Hmmm, that's a bit spicy" through to "HOLY SHIT MY EYEBALLS ARE SWEATING".

Or you could just be a real bastard and leave some seeds and pith in a couple, keeping them to one side.
    Mark them in some unobstrusive way so you know which is which (cut a small cross in one end or whatever) and give those ones to your mates, then enjoy the fun and the swearing. :lol:

Great snack, but I'd have to question whether they belong in the "simple snacks" thread.
    I found them pretty fiddly and time consuming to make, with the coring and the stuffing and the crumbing and the frying. Delicious though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  16. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Lunch today:

Salsa: 4 tomatoes, 1 red onion, small bunch of coriander, half a lemon.
    Food processor-ize until salsa consistency is achieved.

Nachos: Chips (mission plain tortilla strips), cheese, griller. 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

Hot sauce: Leftover from here mixed with mayo as per OP's suggestion (could probably just use sriracha or something *shrug*)

Dip one chip in the hot sauce (reserve cheesiest for this), dip another in the salsa, eat both at once; Commence mouth party, to which everyone is coincidentally invited.

Unfortunately I was too busy with the mouth party to take pics.

17. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Few very nice sandwich combos

White bread
    Margarine
    pealed and sliced green apple
    tasty block cheese
    salt

1. Put your margarine on the bread, peal and slice up the apple.
    2. Thinly slice the cheese.
    3. Put a thin layer of cheese on first and then pile on the apple. Your want to use one apple per sandwich.
    4. couple of shakes of salt onto the apple.
    5. Put other slice of bread on.
    6. Slice up and eat.

Endless amounts of people go "eww" hearing this recipe but make them eat a piece and they steal your sandwich >_< yet to find a person who doesn't love theis after trying it. Red apples can work but I prefer green by far. The combo of sour apple and salt is heavenly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Coles chicken loaf
    kraft/homebrand individually wrapped cheese slices
    tomato sauce
    margarine

1. Put your margarine on the bread.
    2. Put a slice of cheese on.
    3. put one or 2 slices/layers of chicken loaf.
    4. put a small blob of tomato sauce on the chicken loaf and spread it out with a knife.
    5. Put other slice of bread on.
    6. Put sandwich in microwave. Normally in a 1000w mic I do 45 seconds on high for 2 sandwichs with paper towel over it. You want the cheese mostly melted but the margarine not fully melted if you can manage it but melted cheese matters more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bananas
    bread
    vanilla sugar

This ones simple margarine on bread, slice bananas lengthwise and put on sandwich and then sprinkle a thin layer of vanilla sugar on the banana.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  18. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I think I'll just take your word for it.

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Are you pregnant? :lol::lol:

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

With all due respect, I think I'll pass. The last one I could possibly do.