The Simple Snacks Sticky Thread!

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Ma Baker, Jan 1, 2008.

1. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Fry up some Garlic, olive oil, onion cut up into very small pieces and a little bit of tomato paste. Drop in 3 eggs and mix it around. Once the egg is cooked eat it with nice white bread slices..:thumbup:

2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Microwaved corn

This is a great office snack. It requires a tiny bit of effort to make the herbed butter, but you could forget the herbed butter completely. If your workplace has free butter and salt (mine does), you don't even need to make the herbed butter.

Ingredients:

- herbed butter
    - fresh corn

First, make up a herbed butter "sausage" with anything you want - tarragon, parsley, garlic, paprika. I have found that a combination of smoked paprika, salt, and pepper works for me. It will need enough salt in it to season your corn. To make the sausage, allow the butter to come to room temperature then mix all the ingredients in. Chill the butter slightly to thicken it, then spoon it into some plastic wrap. Tightly roll the plastic wrap, pricking out air bubbles to form a tight sausage about 3cm in diameter. Freeze. Slice out a portion and bring to work.

To cook your corn, peel off the husks and wash under running water. Cover in wet paper towels, then microwave for 60 seconds. Turn it over, and microwave for another 30 seconds. Remove, brush on the herbed butter, and eat.

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yum. Corn is the best.

I do corn in the microwave and I just do it in the husk - peel the husk down, pull out the silk, then pull the husk back up. When I've cooked it, I use the husk as a holder - fold it back down and twist it about a bit and it's like a handle for the corn.

4. a21414

a21414 Member

Take a tablespoon of peanut butter and place into a small bowl.
    Add chocolate as desired then microwave for 30 seconds.

5. RavenKittie

RavenKittie Member

Not sure if it's simple enough for this thread but hey, I enjoy it :D

1 frying pan
    2 eggs
    1 spatula
    10 strips of kimchi
    maggi seasoning
    butter

Fry Kimchi for 5 minutes on medium heat

Fry two eggs until the yolks are runny but the white parts cooked

Toast bread, butter it

Put kimchi on toast, top with 1 egg per toast

Put a few drops of maggi seasoning on it

Win!

Actually it's not really a snack, this is what I had for dinner the other day because it was late and I had no proper food :(

6. zaneus

zaneus Member

Mozzarella sticks

grab a massive block of mozzarella. Blocks are better because they're easier to cut into sticks. If you get the weird alien egg looking stuff you're gunna have a bad time.

Grab 2-3 slices of bread, oregano, bazil, good bit of salt. Throw into a food mixer/processor or whatever you have that make quick work of this kinda stuff and mix away. If you try to do this by hand you're going to have a bad time.

whisk two eggs together in a bowl.

cut mozzarella into sticks. However big you like. at least 1-2cm thick though.

coat the sticks in the egg mixture.

coat the sticks in the crumb mixture

here's the secret, DOUBLE COAT THE STICKS. If you don't do this you're definitely going to have a bad time. double crumbing ensures that the cheese doesn't melt out of the crumb mixture and go everywhere.

Here's the fun part, heat a reasonable size pot of oil to around 175-190 degrees. Or, if you're a mad man, you can guess the temperature and hope it doesn't catch fire :thumbup:

Cooking these bad boys is the easiest part. Put a few of them in at a time so you don't lower the cooking oils temperature. Leave them in there until the crust is a nice golden brown. Remove the sticks and place on a plate with some paper towel to avoid all that excess oil.

Serve on a plate with dipping sauce of your choice. I like sweet chilli sauce or salsa.. or tomato sauce mixed with mayo..

lastly, eat ever last one of them and have a good time. Though, eating more than 2 or 3 is a struggle. these bastards are rich!

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

Sound yummy zaneus, but not particularly simple for the likes of me.

8. zaneus

zaneus Member

It takes a little bit of effort but its not hard at all. crumb some bread, cut some cheese, deep fry it.

9. brad81

brad81 Member

Ze express lunch

(makes enough for the next day too)

.5 cup of rice - cooked using absorption method (.75 cup water, boil, turn to simmer, 13-14mins covered)
    2 tins of whatever tuna you like (I use smoked)
    Tin of borlotti drained and rinsed (or whatever beans you like)
    4+ tablespoons of chilli jam
    2 fried eggs

Cook rice
    Rinse beans
    Fry eggs in all that spare time you have
    Apply beans, tuna, chilli jam to rice and mix well
    Send to bowl
    Top with gooey egg

voila

10. amsm

amsm Member

Picked this one up on an ad during one of those foodie shows on SBS. Not sure if it was actually Peter Kuravita's show, but it's his recipie. Not sure if this is too complicated for the easy snacks thread, but it is easy and they are snacks....goddamn moreish snacks as well.

Ingredients:
    raw Cashew nuts
    Olive oil
    Fresh curry leaves (mine came straight off the bush in the garden...foodie snob me :) )

In a separate bowl, mix
    Chilli powder
    Ground pepper
    I also added some smoky paprika.

Get the oil nice and hot and throw in the leaves (watch out for the spatter !!!)
    When the sputtering dies down, throw in the nuts and stir-fry for a few minutes.
    Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and toss in the bowl with the powders. Leave the leaves in there...they're nice and crispy too

Enjoy with a nice cold beer...Peter Kuravita recommends James Squire Pilsener (cos it is a james Squire ad), but I have to agree with him.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  11. BlueRaven

BlueRaven yep, that's probably about right

Super-Easy Super-Cheesy Garlic Bread

Components:

- Bread of your choice
    - Cheese of your choice (please, no cheap-arse processed cheddar; a decent block of colby or tasty at least)
    - Garlic chips (the dehydrated garlic bits in a jar/packet, not garlic bagel chips or anything like that)

Assembly:

- Toast bread to your liking.
    - Top with slices of cheese. Be sure to create a precision-cut cheese jigsaw puzzle so all the bread is covered, to avoid burning the crusts.
    - Sprinkle with garlicky bits.
    - Whack under the grill. The garlic chips will sink down into the cheese as it melts, but keep an eye on it so you don't burn them.
    - Enjoy your garlic-impregnated cheese toastie.

Awesome for a quick snack. I have eaten several slices of this for dinner on more than one occasion. :o
    For additional indulgence, butter the bread before topping with the cheese and garlic.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  12. BlueRaven

The best sandwich filling in the world!

Sorry for double-posting, but this one is worth it. One of my all-time favourites.

- 1 x large (~400gm) can of Tuna, drained
    - 1 x small onion (or half a large one), finely chopped
    - Mayo. LOTS of mayo. Good whole-egg stuff like S&W or Royal Line, preferably
    - Generous squeeze of lemon juice
    - Sweet chilli sauce and/or pepper to taste

Combine in a bowl, using a fork to thoroughly break up the Tuna and cream it all together.
    If it starts looking too dry, you know what to do.... MORE MAYO!!

This is bloody great on fresh bread/rolls with iceberg lettuce, or on a cheese toastie.
    My GF, flatmate and I will tear through a batch of this in 2 days or less, it's that good (I have been caught forking it straight from the bowl :lol:), but it will keep in the fridge for a good while.
    Some excess moisture will leach out of the tuna, but just give it a good stir again before you use it.

13. Huggy_Bear64

Huggy_Bear64 Member

Breakfast this morning.

English Muffins
    Salami
    Cheese
    Homemade guacamole*

1. partially toast the muffins in your toaster
    2. While toasting muffins, slice cheese and salami and make guacamole
    3. Spread guacamole on muffins, then shove the salami and cheese on top
    4. Grill under griller until cheese is melted/crispy/however you like your cheese
    5. Take overexposed photos of it on your phone camera and post them on instagram/facebook :thumbup:

[​IMG]

*Homemade Guacamole (probably not real guac, I just made it up on the spot):

Avocado
    Lemon Juice
    Lime juice
    salt
    pepper
    chilli powder
    paprika

Stick in all in a bowl, mash avocado.
    It's a pretty difficult recipe, but I made it work :Paranoid:

14. fiberoptic

fiberoptic (Taking a Break)

Oh god Huggy Bear... its like a mini pizza *drool*

15. BlueRaven

Awwww yeeeaaahhhhh....

Haven't done pizza muffins for ages. Good reminder. :thumbup:

Same deal as Huggy's, but spread with Leggo's Tomato/Garlic Pizza Sauce (or just straight tomato paste with a sprinkle of mixed herbs) and topped with whatever's in the fridge.

I know what I'm having for lunch on Saturday. :D

16. BlueRaven

Oh dear, double-posting again... but my girlfriend just reminded me of this:

- 1 Mars Bar or Snickers bar
    - 1 Plate
    - 1 Microwave

Place chocolate bar on plate. Microwave for 30-60 seconds.

Eat with a fork while sitting in front of the PC, trying not to drop gooey scalding-hot caramel/chocolate everywhere.
    Lament the sorry state of your existence.

EXPERT MODE: Do all of the above while wearing absolutely no pants of any kind.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  17. Slyboom

Slyboom Member

Okay, here's something I found out the other day.

Get Indomie Mi Goreng Noodles
    Cook them in the microwave for 6 mins
    While they are cooking, fry up bacon.
    Cut the bacon into small pieces (or large)
    Put the noodles and bacon back in the frying pan and fry them together
    Add all the sauces
    Put in a bowl Fry egg
    Place egg on top.
    Sex in a bowl.

18. thefatdx

thefatdx Member

Lazy Man's QUICK Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwhich

Just made this in 5-7 minutes tops. Relies on you having a decent pan and a good hotplate!

2 Slices of bread
    1 Slice of cheese (Make sure its the sliced stuff, Aint got time to slice it yourself!)
    5 slices of short-cut bacon (The big stuff you have to cut to put in ya pan, Ain't got no time for that!)
    1 egg
    1 microwave safe plastic bowl
    1 GOOD fry pan (Mines stainless steel).
    Tomato Sauce
    Margarine
    Whole egg mayo.
    Cling Wrap.
    Any type of oil (I used olive)

1. Bung your pan on the hotplate and put it on the highest heat. Do this before doing anything else including finding your ingredients!
    2. Throw your bread in the toaster.
    3. Crack an egg into the plastic bowl, cover with cling wrap, throw into microwave on high for 1 minute. (Cooking eggs in a pan takes too long)
    4. Chuck a light splat of oil in your pan and spread it all around, it should be hot enough that you can smell the oil but not so hot that there is smoke everywhere :)
    5. Throw in your 5 slices of shortcut bacon, make sure they have their own little space, or it wont be a quick cook!
    6. Drop the heat down on your pan a tad so you don't start a fire.
    7. Wait a minute or so, your toast should of popped and the microwave would be beeping.
    8. Put margarine on your bottom piece of bread, scoop out the contents of the egg-bowl on to it, put your slice of cheese on top, add a bit of tomato sauce.
    9. Flip your bacon, by now it should be pretty much cooked or almost burnt.
    10. Admire yourself for a little bit, maybe throw the kettle on for some coffee?
    11. About a minute after step 10, Get your bacon out of the pan, put down 3 slices first and put a little bit more tomato sauce on. Then the other 2 slices, and throw on some whole egg mayo. Put on the top piece of bread and
    12. om nom nom nom.

19. Sabriel

Sabriel New Member

Jaffles. They're like toasted sandwiches but made in a jaffle iron so the crusts seal the filling in. Mmm. Bread pie.
    Filling = slice of cheese/tin of spaghetti/baked beans/leftover bolognaise sauce.

Also if I've ever made too much bangers and mash, I want to try adding onion gravy to the sliced sausages the next day and topping with the potato to make a shepherds pie.

20. blackarrow

blackarrow Member

Take some Strassburg round or square your choice ;)
    A block of tasty cheese
    Toothpicks

Cut cheese in to a small block, wrap block of cheese in strass, tootpick to hold it together then cook that biatch on the bbq, or frypan.

This thread is awesome!, must make that 2min noodle sanga! Genius! :lol: