The Smoker's thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

So the IQ arrived a week and a half ago.
    I was happy how good a condition it arrived in considering the journey it had been on.
    Here it is still in the box

Click to view full size!

Unpacked in its bit and pieces.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

It comes with three temp probes and the standard adapter for a weber or bullet smoker.
    One of the probes was faulty out of the box and either goes OC or SC once it heats it up.:(
    Lucky for me there are another 2 and they are all interchangeable.
    So here is the final setup.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I have been flat out so havent posted but still got some smoking done in over the last two weekends.
    Last weekend it was pork ribs and split chicken.
    I had the cooker going for most of the day testing out the IQ but only put the ribs on around lunchtime and then just put the chicken on at the end over direct heat.

Click to view full size!

Today I did my first beef cook and it was a oyster blade on for 12 hour

Click to view full size!

Dry rub on first 4 hours getting smoked out.
    then the rest of the time in bath of coffee soda, butter and brown sugar.
    Looks like its burned

Click to view full size!

But I can assure you it was delicous.

Click to view full size!

Its been a steep learning curve but slowly getting the hang of it.
    The BBQ leaks like a sieve, when I add smoke chips there is smoke coming out all over the place. :p
    Also I was a bit dissapointed at first with the IQ as I could easily hold 110deg but struggled when I wanted to go consitant higher temp.
    I have been slow cooking in the oven for ages and usually I set the temp around 140-160. But after trying a combination of lump charocal and briquettes and experimenting with the water tray and vents I sorted that out this afternoonand had it running at 160 for hours no worries.
    So pretty happy overall, considering the BBQ isnt that great I can leave it for at least 2 hours and know it wont deviate in temp. This morning it ran for about 4 hours with no intervention.
    I suspect with a decent BBQ with good heat retention you could probably do a 8 hour stint or let it run overnight without any worries.
    Next weekend might give chinese BBQ pork a go.

2. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Pork Loin Ribs - meathead rub - 3 2 1 Cook

marinating

[​IMG]

After 3 Hr

[​IMG]

After 2 Hr wrapped

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final hour unwrapped

Admittedly they were a bit dry, after the 2 hr wrapping they were still very moist, 120C cook temp stable, taste was as always superb.

[​IMG]

3. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

Yum!
    Do you remove the membrane from the ribs before you marinate ?
    looks like it in the photo??
    Its a PITA but well worth it.

I've been travelling a bit recently and eating out on work so recently tried the 1kg beef ribs off the BBQ grill from Criniti's (which was drowned in BBQ sauce and really not that nice) I couldn't finish it.
    Then had 1kg mixed ribs ( Lamb, Beef, Pork) from ribs and rumps a few weeks ago and although it was much better than Crintis still had nothing on cooking at home.
    The pork ribs from ribs and rumps pretty much had zero meat on them and considering the total bill for both these meals was over $120 I'm loving the home cook.

4. trop

trop Member

I think 3 2 1 (6 hrs) would be way too long with most Aussie pork ribs I've seen. The ribs in the states are generally much thicker and fattier so they handle the extra couple hours without drying out.

I normally go 110C for 3 hours unwrapped then 1 hour with sauce on them.

5. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yep, I ended up putting my wood in a seperate smoker box, and sitting that in the smoking tray.

I'm gonna sell mine anyway, given I use my weber (and i'm on the hunt for an offset) as I prefer charcoal cooking to gas.

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

A page or two back I was talking about smoking a pork tenderloin.

This is the kind of thing I was getting at for those interested.

https://youtu.be/w0R9B-VP1xo

7. hairy

hairy Member

I'm a meat carter and a keen smoker and just thought I would chime in.
    most pigs in the usa are 150kg at slaughter ours here in aus range from 50-80kg.
    so u.s pigs are bigger and have more fat content throughout the meat not just the outside.
    for some reason aussies don't like to see fat meat in the butchers window so its hard to find good smoking meat (marbling).
    currently looking at a radar hills smoker trailer setup for competitions.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Where to for good smoking pork then?

Can I buy American ribs off the internet and get them posted?

9. hairy

hairy Member

depends where you live.
    vics meats carry a good range of meat good for low n slow at the fish markets in Sydney or the meat emporium.
    no you cant import meat.

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

Pork Cheeks seem to be the next big thing at the moment. Seeing them everywhere.

11. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Can confirm they are delicious, though extremely fatty.

12. brettmo86

brettmo86 Member

Being a pork novice, at my engagement party a few years back we had a pig on the spit, as a joke I dumped the pigs head on a table of my mates, came back a little while later to find they had picked it clean :lol:

13. trop

trop Member

You can get an awesome result using aussie pork ribs, you just need to shorten your cooking times from the american pages by around a 1/3 I find. (this is just my personal opinion on this, but made after a lot of rib cooks and a few trips around the states)

Our beef is much the same as theirs though imo so the beef cooking times/temps are similar.

Has anyone else tried the Aldi pork ribs? My butcher was out last weekend so I grabbed the Aldi ones on the way home. Had to hunt through the box to find 3 meaty racks as a lot of them were over trimmed but they cooked up really nice, especially for only $5-7 a rack.

14. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Its not so much the cooking times, but the poor value they represent. You're paying $16/KG for what amounts to mostly bone.

My local butcher is pretty good, I just have to catch him before he chops up his Pig, so I can explain what I want.

15. scon

scon Member

Pork ribs here in the US are usually $2-3.99 per pound, and that's already trimmed memphis style, so much cheaper than back home.

16. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

Fuck demand and supply [emoji22]

17. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well I did it, pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, smoked.

I think it took 1.5, maybe 2 hours at around 130C. My probe was playing up and was 55 degrees when I last looked at it, I came back 10 minutes later and it was 42-46, so I left it another 5 and then decided to go and put my thermapen in it, got a reading of 68. So I pulled it and foiled loosely.

Pork was just a loin, wrapped in bacon with a touch of maple syrup and some salt and pepper. It’s meant to be left overnight so the nitrites from the bacon can act on the pork and change the texture/flavour slightly apparently. I only waited 6 hours. Rolled in clingfilm into a cylinder.

Served it with a smoked/baked sweet potato that was cut down the middle and drizzled with maple syrup and butter.
    A salsa that was cubed cucumber, tomato, grilled peaches (tin), grilled corn, mint, basil and parsley. With a little orange juice. Would have loved some jalapeno and onion in it, or even some avocado, but didn’t have any.

The tinned peaches grilled up quite well. I was expecting gross mush.

Decided to do a corn puree as well, was a little concerned it wouldn’t go with the salsa, but it was awesome. Purees are the best.

Prior to cooking

[​IMG]

Cooked – Rested

[​IMG]

Sliced – Plated

[​IMG]

18. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

looks like some one watched a youtube video, how good is smoked sweet potato with maple syrup by far my favorite veggie on the smoker

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

Yeah I think it's made for it.

I was meaning to do some onions/garlic/salt as well but I completely forgot about it. Really need to make better use of the coals.

20. caspian

caspian Member

did a 3kg quarter ham leg and 2kg chicken in the Bradley yesterday. KC Butt Spice on both because I'm supposed to be working from home and I was getting things going between meetings. mesquite chips for 2 hours, then dry roast for the rest.

ham on at 3pm, chicken at 4pm, we ate at 7:30. chicken with zucchini tabbouleh salad, the ham is for lunches.

the chicken carcass is currently becoming stock, it and the remaining meat will turn into chicken and sweet corn egg drop soup for dinner, served with a few dots of sesame oil and soy and a good handful of spring onions.