The Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. mmBax

mmBax Member

Well I did some Pork Belly Burnt ends the other night. Have to say that they were freaking amazing. Just a random last minute decision the day before.

1kg of pork belly from Woolies (was too thin, I'd get a thicker cut from a butcher next time) & (1kg was barely enough for 2 people, I'd probably step it up to 2kg next time to ensure leftovers, didn't weigh the final yielding of meat, but with the skin removed and fat rendered. There wasn't a whole lot)

Used my standard Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon rub for the pork, which was cubed into about 1" x 1" cubes.

Smoked over Hickory at an unknown temp (thermometer is flat but I'm guessing 140-150) for about 2-3 hours to get some smoke and colour on them. Decided to do it in a foil pan for convenience.
    Wrapped tightly in alfoil with a touch of honey for a further 2 hours or so.
    Unwrapped, tossed with your preferred BBQ sauce and left for another 30 minutes or so to tack up.

[​IMG]

Rest of the album

https://imgur.com/a/AD70M

nic55 likes this.
  2. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

OMG - what were the chances, I came in here to post on the very same topic, and this was the most recent post :lol:

Best. Thing. Ever.

And seriously easy to make - I used a cut of Pork Belly from Costco (they do two sizes now, the ridiculously large one, and a normal size cut). I went the smaller one, which was $20. Figured it wasn't too much of a loss if it didn't work out. My process was very similar to yours, except I used my Memphis dust rub, and smoked mine over applewood for 3 hours. Then put them in a foil tray with a cup of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, two good squirts of honey to really sticky it up, and a nob of butter. Covered it in foil for another hour and a half, then take the foil off for 15 minutes to let it thicken up. My God. Its heaven :p

Cut the cubes larger next time as they shrink when cooked - try 1/5 inch to 2 in in size.

3. mmBax

mmBax Member

It really is amazing. My arteries didn't like it, but they're easily overruled by taste buds.

I've got some people coming around on Sunday for some drinks and a catch up, I'm contemplating doing wings and another large chunk of pork. Will definitely cut into 2" cubes next time.

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

I did pork belly burnt ends yet again.

Had guests coming over and thought it was a relatively easy cook up, had them on burgers with a basic coleslaw, damn tasty.

This time I used a belly from a local butcher, which was cheaper than colesworths and way thicker/meatier. Cut them into bigger cubes, probably about 2” this time. Unfortunately my UDS decided to run away on the temps (I haven’t been using my temp probe and doing it entirely by feel, it got too hot and once it gets a roll on it’s nearly impossible to slow mine down, even when you choke out the air)

So here I am working underneath the house thinking somebody local was cooking up some bacon. An hour later I can still smell this intense bacon smell, when I finally clicked… Oh crap, that’s my food. Went over and checked on it. About a 2-3mm crust of charcoal had formed on the bottom. Took them off immediately and wrapped in foil with some honey. End result was that you couldn’t even tell they were a little burnt. Crunchy, Soft, Fatty, Meaty, Salty, Sweet. So damn addictive.

Don't think I took any pics of the finished product, was too busy chowing down.

~

In other news, I’ve got no clue what’s happening with all the local ‘smoke’ joints in town. There are 3-4 different stalls that operate at markets and other decent community events. When they first opened they’d do a mix plate for 30 dollars. Slice or two of brisket, Sausage, Small pile of pulled pork and a beef or pork rib, coleslaw and bread.

I saw that as okay value. Probably selling themselves a little short. But I don’t know what has happened, it’s like they’ve banded together, and even the not as nice places are selling a brisket meal for 20 dollars. And in that brisket meal you get a piece of bread, some slaw, and about 150-200g of brisket.

Just daylight robbery imo, Ends up about 100 bucks/kg for a bit of brisket. Fair enough it takes a lot of time, but these prices seem way ridiculous to me.

5. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I honestly struggle to pay for this sort of food now that my cooking is at a level where I'm really happy with it. I know that sounds bad, but the few times I've gone with Brisket off a restaurant or pub menu somewhere, I've found myself criticizing it. The wife even tells me to order something different as I think she's sick of hearing me whinge :lol:

caspian, kenny34 and hsvguy like this.
  6. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

I do that all the time always order the "pulled pork" have been disappointed every time, the missus dose the same thing with bacon ever since I started making my own.

hsvguy likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Did a goat shoulder recently, came out awesomely.

Snake method, with a heap of iron wood, and Pit Happens rub.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Hey mate, how are you finding the Fornetto after an extended period? I had a Pro q on order for a month but got dicked around by the seller, and he now can't supply it, so i'm looking at alternatives.

9. caspian

caspian Member

nope, not at all. learning to cook decent food has led to my ordering very different things when eating out, because there's no point in ordered what I can make perfectly well myself. it's actually a nice change, I get to enjoy things I might not have previously.

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Same situation here,
    I can't bring myself to pay restaurant prices for good Steak, when I my local butcher can provide far more meat for my money.

11. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Anyone here have a pellet smoker? thoughts?

12. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

yep got a Yoder YS640, love it it dose run clean though so if your looking for a heavy smoked flavor you'll want a smoke tube (or turn the temp right down for the first couple hrs)

13. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Awesome, I've actually got a tube on the way (unrelated, looking to smoke cheese and honey).

I haven't got the budget for a Yoder unfortunately, tossing up between a GMG Daniel Boone, or going with a cheapy (Fornetto Fumo) to trial.

14. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

I have heard good and bad stuff about both but that can be said with every manufacturer, if its just a see how they are i'd got the Bunnys special just make sure its on a flat ground, read something about the grease drip being able to run back to the fire box causing the hopper to catch alight.

oh and my thoughts on them,
    Great for long cooks or quick grills (well the YS is) I'm lazy so the whole give it a vac out, before each cook press a button and come back in 30mins and it up to temp chuck in the food and walk away makes those 1am starts easy.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  15. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Awesome thanks. Yeah I've heard of plenty of issues with mainly the Fumo (and that grease trap), but there's a heap of people on the fornetto facebook page that absolutely love it.

I'm still tossing up on getting a bullet smoker as well. (I'm the worlds worst procrastinator)

16. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

why not both :leet: , I walked in to buy a hark stick burner and walked out with a 640 I'm sure you could walk in for a Fumo and get the bullet at the same time.....

hsvguy likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Ha I did consider it, however my weber does handle cooks of 6-10 hours with ease using the snake method, so i'm not sure another charcoal bbq is worth it now.

I'm actually spewing because a local seller was doing the Daniel Boone for $1000 as a clearout, but because I was waiting on my other smoker, I missed out.

They seem to all be the same price here in Aus (GMG Au website actually has the RRP at $1399). There's a few sellers chucking in 2 bags of GMG pellets (around $85 value) to sweeten the deal. I was hoping for an EOFY sale with some places (ie Traeger at bbq's galore), but alas no luck.

18. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

Fired up the old smoker again on the weekend, Wifes family was coming around and I had 9 mouths to feed. So it was either a pulled pork or a brisket. I’ve been trying to get into more briskets lately as I’ve never been happy with how my previous ones have turned out. Lots of smoke, but dry.

Wanted to use Hardcore Carnivore: Black. I like the extremely dark black bark look, but I didn’t really feel like spending the 26 dollars for 120g of rub, for what is essentially salt, pepper, garlic, onion, chilli and charcoal. So I went to Chemist Warehouse and bought myself a 100g container of Activated charcoal for 18 dollars and I used 1 heaped teaspoon in my rub.

Extremely rough quantities.
    2tblsp salt.
    2tbsp pepper
    1tbsp brown sugar (wasn’t needed)
    3/4tbsp cayenne
    3/4tbsp allspice (experimenting, also wasn’t needed)
    1 heaped tsp activated charcoal powder

I’d read about separating the flat and the point, and that made sense to me as they’re different thicknesses and would give me more of a chance to stop the flat drying out.
    So I smoked for maybe 3-4 hours at 120-130 Celsius to get some smoke and colour on the bark.

Smoked over some ironbark and 1 small chunk of mesquite that I had leftover.

Side note, this was an extremely butt puckering time for me. I had to go out and leave the smoker unattended, but the temp wasn’t quite stable and I’d never run it at this higher temperature before. The last time I left my vents open I ended up with a runaway and when I came back the temps were around 230 C.

Anyway, this is prior to cutting/wrapping
    [​IMG]

Sliced flat
    [​IMG]

With the point I cubed, coated in honey and whatever BBQ sauce I had, I think it was a McCormicks smokehouse or something like that? Then put back into the smoker until everyone arrived, which was about another 30.
    [​IMG]

I think I'll probably inject or brine next cook. Although everything was super moist, it was lacking some flavour on the flat. I haven't really found that injections add much on my pork shoulders but I think I'll give it a go on the brisket.
    Oh well, until next time.

TL;DR - Brisket was nice. Makeup/Teeth whitener in home made rubs worked well.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    miicah likes this.
  20. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

Anyone got opinions on the Aldi smoker out now?