The Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

It's a thin unit, but might be okay for a starter. I'd suggest a weber kettle, or a vertical smoker like the Fornetto Basso/Razzo though anyday.

The cheapest offsets worth buying are around $800-$900 (Pro Smoke or Hark Chubby).

Their full size spits for $199 are very tempting though. Been wanting to do a full animal for a long time.

2. connico

connico Member

We should enter a team into the Australasian Barbecue Alliance competitions!

3. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

This, oh so this.

I've got a Webber kettle and a Fornetto Razzo. Both are far better at holding in the heat than a thin metal cheap unit. If you can afford it, the Razzo is absolutely brilliant for $340.. or just wait until Bunnings stuffs up their pricing and sells them for $120 again :lol:

4. Badger

Badger Caveat lector

googling finds the one from last year at $99 was basically the char-grill which is everywhere for $120-140, but this new one is priced at $249 (IIRC - even though it is still on sale, Aldi removed the catalogue from their website already - very annoying...). So I thinking the huge increase in price might mean something. Anyway, the wife has decreed that 2 smokers is already enough...

5. KosTanzA

KosTanzA Member

A favourite around here. Ribs and pizza
    [​IMG]

5kg Wagyu brisket on at 1am this morning
    [​IMG]

DangerMaus likes this.
  6. sgtraven

sgtraven Member

mmBax, next time you do rub just go Salt/Pepper
    the trick is to do by volume but only when they are the same grain size

in saying this its also based on the ingredients ability to "catch" smoke/flavor as it passes

http://www.usafoods.com.au/Morton-Kosher-Salt-16oz
    https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-vic-m.../maharajahs-choice-spice-pepper-black-cracked

the reason i have chosen the 2 above is due to the same grain size so when they are mixed/applied they come out even.

Old pepper corns that are really dry soak up the fat/dripping from the brisket and intensify the flavour of the meat

Wrapping, boating or butcher papering can help with moisture retention but many do hot/fast cooks these days and once desired temp is reached back off on temp and hold

7. nic55

nic55 Member

Finished my first UDS last night, started last Tuesday night with what I thought would be an easy burn out then spent the rest of the week with a small sandblaster and a wire wheel on the inside. If I ever do another one I'll definitely be looking at professional sandblasting prices.

Installed 3x 20mm air intakes, 1 on the back is just a plug and the 2 front ones are ball valves. Fired up 4pm last night to see how it burns with a basket of clean heat lump charcoal. At the moment it's sharing a lid and cooking grate with my weber until I can find decently priced seconds.

Took about an hour to get going then ran perfectly at 117-120c for 3hrs with 2 vents closed and 1 vent set to half. Set the vent down to 1/4 to try and get the temps a bit lower but it started falling off pretty hard so I assume not enough air at this setting.

Want to try and get some more test runs in during the week so I'll be ready for a cook on the weekend :leet:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    hsvguy likes this.
  8. Wako

Wako Member

Hi all,
    any tips on the "Alton Brown Smoker"?
    I am going to control the electric heating element with a PID Controller.
    I'm currently just waiting for everything to arrive from Aliexpress

9. Sonny_Shines

Sonny_Shines Member

hey guys

so lately ive been interested in getting into smoking meats. im tossing up between a weber smokey mountain and a kamado joe style grill

ive read through the forum here and elsewhere and i can see lots of different opinions..

Edit: im leaning toward a bullet smoker i think. originally i was thinking Kamado style but the upfront cost of the bullet is probably more my style given im not sure how committed ill be to the hobby long term. i really want to make some smoked meats though. things like pork belly burnt ends look sensational

so ive done quite a bit of research. the Fornetto Razzo seems like a good buy and basically copies the weber smokey mountain but for a fair bit less.. any advice?

cheers

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  10. Wako

Wako Member

I've gotten the PID controller and heating element, PID controller seems to do the trick - I've yet to try out the heating element. Still waiting on another K-type thermocouple and amplifier so i can monitor the temperature via an Arduino.

I might pick up 2x 28cm terracotta pots from Bunnings this weekend, they go for $10 a piece so will give me something cheap to test out.

[​IMG]

11. nic55

nic55 Member

Keen to see how this goes, might be a good second smoker for when feeling lazy :leet:

How long did the PID take to arrive? Did first cook in my new UDS on Sunday and it required small adjustments throughout the day. Would like to add fan blower control so hopefully it can run maintenance free for the whole cook.

12. Wako

Wako Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  13. kjparker

kjparker Member

14. Wako

Wako Member

15. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

bathurst 1000 tomorrow, so time to bring out the UDS.

Installed a new fan on the pit controller so, giving it a quick test run today - no cook unfortunately as I have to work this afternoon.

New fan definitely gets UDS up to speed quicker than the old fan, but it does overshoot the preset of 120C. Will look at tweaking the fan settings to see if I can smooth it out.

Will be smoking wings due to time restrictions and because I have never done them before.

[​IMG]

cheers

mM

hsvguy likes this.
  16. nic55

nic55 Member

That's holding perfect!

I installed a fan on mine yesterday which has helped a lot, after ~6hrs I still get problems with the temp dropping right off though, think maybe my coals are ashing themselves out. Not sure how to rectify it, gonna order a higher cfm blower fan to test out.

17. Wako

Wako Member

Got a small terracotta pot to test out the smoker, no surprise the electrical cable i used melted after an hour-ish of it being on. Otherwise it seemed to hold the desired temp well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Electrical cabling/arc'ing
    [​IMG]

I guess I need something like resistant shielding

18. sjp770

sjp770 Member

Surprised the diy stuff has stuck here - i'd suggest either a silicone high temp wire as I pm'd you or that white heat sheild or even both. Nice to see someone else wanting to use arduino to monitor temps. I have an unfinished monitoring project with a few k type probes from aurberins and some adafruit max31855 thermocoupler amplifiers to use along with 4x oleds. Just need to find the right enclosure and platform. I was hoping to have wifi monitoring and maybe low power to run off a lipo.

19. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Tried brisket for the second time yesterday, a 3.5Kg ($13.99Kg) untrimmed cryovaced Bindaree Beef from Aus Meat Emporium in Sydney.

The first time I tried brisket similar size but a cheaper cut at $9.99Kg it was woeful.

One thing I have noticed between the American youtube videos of briskets is that aussie brisket does not appear to have the "soft fat cap", you can see in my trim pictures that I removed pretty much all the fat cap as it was just the hard fat that you can literally peel off with your fingers - it leaves a membrane which I removed with a knife. The underside was really clean, just removed some membrane stuff.

Used american mustard and memphis dust for the rub - marinated in fridge for 24hrs.

Set the UDS to 105C at 10pm, went to bed, and then ~8hrs later you have pic 5, and the brisket internal temp was 63C but had been that for almost 3 hrs according to my heatermeter. You can see in the pic not much juice came out, so I decided to wrap then in foil - this was the plan all along, but I was waiting for the ~80C stall. I then bumped the smoker up to 120C since I was now awake and waited this the brisket hit 95 before backing the smoker off letting brisket sit at 95C for about a 2 hours (this could be where I went wrong).

Unwrapped and it looked moist and juices in the foil. Sliced and diced, turned out quite well, but after about 30min of being exposed to air (it was 30C plus in Sydney) it had dried out.

Next time once the brisket hits 95C internal I will remove and wrap in towels to let slow the cooling process.

I did have a water pan too.

Probably a 7.5/10.

mM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. clonex

clonex Member

What are you using for temp monitoring?