The Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

2. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Brisket is garbage in my opinion.

We're only all doing it here because of the Americans.

I'd much rather a smoked lamb or goat shoulder.

Jim-podiatrist likes this.
  3. trop

trop Member

This x100. The only beef I actually like from the smoker is a reverse sear on a good steak or homemade jerky. Also made some Pastrami at xmas which was pretty good.

hsvguy likes this.
  4. mmBax

mmBax Member

Ah I don’t mind Brisket, I don’t rate it 10/10, but it’s pretty decent. I’d probably rather do Beef Ribs instead, at least it’s a consistent thickness which makes cooking a lot easier.

The local smoke places here do a tonne of brahman hump, which is delicious if you like the texture of the fat side of brisket. Was too fatty for me, but in small doses it’s ridiculously good. At least it’s a more consistent size/shape as well which makes cooking more forgiving.

5. caspian

caspian Member

I like brisket. it has a distinct character of its own, and it needs to be treated right to get something that is nice to eat. that doesn't mean it will turn into prime rib, so if that's the expectation there will be disappointment.

6. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

I did some smoked beef cheeks over the weekend, 5 hours total, 3 on smoke, 2 wrapped, 30 min rest.
    They were pretty awesome. Had some left overs and make pies with it.

7. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

My Butcher had some "American Style" pork ribs when I went in on Friday to grab some Steaks... so I grabbed a rack... They weren't american style at all.

I don't know what to ask for, I think I'll need to find some butchery pictures and take them in next time.

8. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

What do you think you got?

[​IMG]

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

10. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Adelaide - south

12. mmBax

mmBax Member

Pork Spare ribs with the Belly still attached?

13. Wako

Wako Member

14. mmBax

mmBax Member

Seems way too low for not enough time? Was it tender or was it just because it was a smaller piece?

15. Jim-podiatrist

Jim-podiatrist Member

You've 'goat' to be kidding.
    This is surely a wind up post! :leet:
    In response, I'd say that if that is your view of it, then perhaps you've not cooked it to perfection yet :tongue:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  16. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

My trusty old maverick et-72 died recently, ended up deciding to give Inkbird's bluetooth unit a go, cause a) I love their homebrew temp control gear, b) they're a great price... It is very, very pleasing. Have one of these, which cost me about $38 delivered from the official aus ebay seller for them, they have 4 and 6 probe models too ranging up to about $80aud. The android app is really quite polished and great to use, the range is very satisfactory, and unlike the old maverick it uses all of one AAA instead of... what is it... six. Oh and the probes are reasonably priced, and crazy sharp. Glad I bought it.

17. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

As I said in my opinion. And you're right, i've never cooked a whole one, cooked plenty of pieces, which could be the problem. I've had it a few times from bbq stalls, and it's ok, but I prefer lamb and goat any day.

I'm either grabbing a Kamado style or a pellet smoker in the near future, so will probably give a whole brisket a go then (when i've got a smoker capable of doing a 10 hour cook without too much stuffing aroung).

18. miicah

miicah Member

Does anyone else here use a Weber for smoking? I normally use the snake method, but it's hard to get in an adjust coal positions and add more smoke. I kind of want to start cutting my weber up and somehow adding a smoke box? Never seen anything like that before though.

19. Jim-podiatrist

Jim-podiatrist Member

Get a weber smoky mountain or a ProQ imo. Kamodo also good if you have the $$
    Pellet smokers are great, but imo they take the fun out of it. But they're great at what they do :)

Either way, happy smoking

20. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

with the snake method, just add more wood along the snake. are you using chips or chunks? if chips, definintely go for chunks.

see this picture https://www.google.com/search?q=web...AhWDWysKHW-eBukQ_AUIDigB#imgrc=YAAUo1yL85nasM:

Also I run a 2x1 snake and never have issues with temp. If anything perhaps a little low (around 200f), but give yourself plenty of time or run a 2x2 setup.

I actually sold my fornetto Razzo 22" on the weekend. It was just too big for what I do, there's only 2 of us (and the occasional 4 or 5 friends/family).

I've been eyeing off the Daniel Boone for a while now, I already have 2 webers and a GA, so wanted something a bit more hands off. (I understand the Ceramic will cook for literally a day once they're up and going).

Pellet smokers appeal to me for their ease. I know they get knocked a lot by offset purists, but I've got the webers/spit when I want to use charcoal.

Jim-podiatrist likes this.