The Smokers thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Aug 28, 2016.

1. miicah

miicah Member

2. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Definitely go for chunks. Check gumtree/facebook etc you should be able to find it for a reasonable price vs bbqs galore etc.

Look for hardwoods (ironbark is my favourite), or any fruit or nutwoods.

[​IMG]

miicah likes this.
  3. miicah

miicah Member

While we're on the subject, I recently grabbed some Cypress Pine from my uncles farm. Reason was he was using it to light/run the BBQ and it smelled so fkn good. However when I got home and did some googling, there were a bunch of people saying "dont use pine, you'll get sick", "smells good, smokes bad" etc

Is it worth smoking some beef cheek or a chuck roast just to see what happens? There seems to be a lot of sap in between the bark and the wood, is that common for pines?

4. Jim-podiatrist

Jim-podiatrist Member

I've not heard of anyone smoking food with pine.
    A quick google says it's a big no. It'll make your food taste aweful.

5. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

yeah apparently resinous woods are no good

6. miicah

miicah Member

Oh well, guess I'll just have to buy a firepit for winter (the one day we get of it in QLD)

hsvguy likes this.
  7. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

I grabbed a Dragon kamado a couple of months ago when bbq galore had them on special, and have definitely not been disappointed with its performance on charcoal. The longest cook I've done has been 10 hours but with the amount of charcoal left I reckon it would have gone for another 10 easily.

Once I got it all sealed up properly it's amazing, swinging maybe 5 or 10 degrees either side of desired temperature, frugal on fuel, holding anywhere from 95 to 350 consistently. Best cooking purchase I've ever made aside from a combi oven.

Jim-podiatrist and hsvguy like this.
  8. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

He's not wrong ( in my opinion). There's vastly superior cuts and meats than beef brisket. I'd suggest you've never had goat or lamb cooked to perfection if that's your view :leet:

Jim-podiatrist likes this.
  9. Jim-podiatrist

Jim-podiatrist Member

spider steaks ftw surely

10. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

Yeah sure, but my favourite cut of beef is chuck. And I don't hate a nice eye fillet either. Or shin, or cheek.

I think maybe the popularity of brisket is due to it being a bit of a challenge to get right.

I'd still take lamb over beef for flavour and tenderness.

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Brisket in the Sous Vide for 50 hours, starting yesterday.
    I'm not sure how it will go, but the recipie says should be able to cool hit.
    Hit it with smoke for 3 hours
    and then eat some meaty goodness.

12. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Picked this up yesterday. Gonna give some pork ribs a crack today I reckon.

The WiFi functionality is awesome, with the ability to set profiles.

(Excuse the lawn, we literally moved in 3 weeks ago so I'm concentrating on the front first before I attack the backyard)

IMG_20190322_190236.jpg

Jim-podiatrist likes this.
  13. Wako

Wako Member

Hey all, I'm still working on my electric smoker. At the moment I have a small piece of brisket in. I've also gotten some new terra cotta pots (amongst other things) and i hope to migrate over to my larger vessel next week.

[​IMG]

I've started to pulling data out, currently only power usage:

[​IMG]
    Cheers

14. mmBax

mmBax Member

Nice, everyones got cool stuff happening.

I gave bacon a go this week. Cured for a 6 days in salt/brown sugar/maple syrup. Smoked over ironbark (I've got plenty of it and it's cheap) for about an hour until internal temp was good. It's tasty but damn it's salty. I'll probably do a soak in cold water for a fair few hours before smoking next time. Or I'll increase the sugar in the cure.

15. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I did it exactly the same thing, but also used instant coffee in the mix, using this recipe
    https://leitesculinaria.com/95593/writings-homemade-maple-espresso-bacon.html

Mine was also way too salty, though I put this down to measuring with rock salt, and then ground it up afterward. I used curing salt, so next time I give it a go, i'll cut back the regular salt, and increase the honey (i used honey over maple)

16. xc351

xc351 Member

Great choice i bought mine end of last year and still havent fired it up (house plans (desk/shed) kept getting pushed back) but i do have 750kg of pellets :leet:

17. mmBax

mmBax Member

I used table salt - rookie movie really.
    That's the exact same recipe I used, except I left out coffee and added a few things.

Didn't get a whole lot of smoke colour on it, but there was enough flavour/smell in there for me. Used a big chunk of it last night in a carbonara and the saltiness was perfect in that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hsvguy likes this.
  18. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

with the saltness, soak it in cold water for a hour before the smoking(I also let it air dry in the fridge overnight to help with create pectin for better smoke adherence) really helped with mine.

19. mmBax

mmBax Member

Yep did the overnight sit to help the smoke adhere. I just wish I read about the cold water soak. Oh well, next time.

I really like the maple so I'll probably double down on that and leave out the brown sugar. Mind you maple syrup is expensive as especially when you're using 130mls or so per hit. Maybe I can use artificial maple as you probably won't be able to tell.

20. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

get some maple crystals/maple sugar that way you can use less syrup. go about half half.