1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The state of HDTV

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Kookooburra, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Phido

Phido Member

IMO 75" is where you start to get cinema experience. 82-85" are nice but that jump from 65" to 75" is big, for me.
    Given a basic 75" 4k with Amazon/Netflix etc comes in landed, delivered at less than $1k, IMO there is pressure for the mid range to get better. More zones, better contrast, better audio.

I have a projector, and while its nice, its isn't the same experience, convenience as a TV. For sport, or a movie, maybe, for outside, definitely.

Kookooburra likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

So both Sony and LG are releasing 42in OLED 4k tvs, and by the sounds of it, both will be expensive especially the Sony, but at least they exist....of course 42in is perfect for SDTV and DVD.

Sony is also doing mini LEDs on some models.

If Sony continue to gimp their FALD models with low zone counts, it's probably because there's very little difference between FALD with 120 zones and mini led with 500 odd, so they need to gimp their lower models to justify expensive mini led.

Let's give them a chance because they might actually build some very good tvs this year.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looking at 1.5-2K but probably more on the higher side. Personally I'm not sure I'd say it's that expensive, the LG Oleds make beautiful pc monitors and I've never once for a second regretted spending 2K on the 48" I have now. I tend to keep monitors for years also which means I can justify the cost even moreso. People are willing to spend 2K+ on a video card that they will change in a year, now that's expensive.

Bring on the 42" LG Oled! I'm first in line :cool:

Kookooburra likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

If the Sony 42 has all the tech normally reserved for the 55in and higher models, I'd be inclined to get that as my DVD .

As long as they don't cock it up somehow, it should be as good as it ever gets as the tech is starting to go beyond reality due to the control we have over brightness, colour and sharpness.

In reality we look at objects/scenes with a fixed level of brightness etc, not so with tvs.

Only micro led at probably 65in and above will slay everything.

5. nico6

nico6 Member

What, wait... You'd buy a specific TV to only watch DVDs on?

6. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Yes...as I have many, plus other SDTV recordings I made over a 5 yr period.
    I also have a bunch of bathurst DVDs which look okay on my current TV, but I doubt would look good on anything over 48in.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Have to admit I haven't watched a DVD for many many years now. All media files of any importance I have are now stored on hard drives. And all movies are obtainable through streaming or other means.

8. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Some content like Bathurst only exist as SDTV quality and the quality isn't peak DVD.

I have CDs that are 30yrs old and still work, I'm not sure what my oldest DVD is but it'll probably last just as long.

It'll be interesting to see the future of 42/43in after Sony and LG release 42in OLEDS.

FIREWIRE1394 and MR CHILLED like this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

LG for me, as a company they've been fantastic to me. At this point I'm not really interested in what the opposition come up with, there's nothing really earth shattering on the horizon. I'll most likely be getting onboard with the LG Oled 42" as soon as released. Oled's will be a safe bet for years to come imo.

Kookooburra likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

For whatever reason, Sony are supposed to be releasing a 42 and 48 with backlight master drive, so we know 2 things, they'll be good and expensive, lol.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

In jbs the other day picking up another bathurst DVD, lol...anyway, want to mention a few things.

I saw some Sony LCDs huddled together and noticed that one stood out, I thought it'd be the A90J OLED, but it was the X95J LCD.

But once again, no TV can outdo the Samsung qn90a range "instore", in fact I finally saw the normal 4k demo running on a 75in qn90a and was amazed by it.

I'm reasonably certain there's gonna be some incredibly good tvs in 2022, especially from Sony, but hisense u8g/u9g** range are going mini led, so they'll be decent and hopefully have proper specs and panels this year.

I think Sony's silly z9j 8k model is also going mini led vs 360 zone FALD.
    Samsung should tweak most of their tvs, but I think this will be Sony and hisense year.

** I think the ug7 will now get FALD pro.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  12. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Err, QD-OLED inferior to LED?

13. Sankari

Sankari Member

I'm still using my good old plasma Panny. Can't see any reason to upgrade yet. Might as well wait another few generations and see what happens.

14. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Coming from a Panny plasma to a LG 2016 B6 OLED was something in 2017 for me. Trust me, you're plasma is pretty bland in comparison to what's on the market now.

Kookooburra likes this.
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bingo. I can't even imagine using a Plasma now, I left that fire breathing behemoth dragon years ago. Would even bother to line a plasma up side by side with my oled.

Kookooburra and JSmithDTV like this.
  16. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Yeah, even the best plasma can't quite reach Rec.709, let alone DCI-P3 or Rec.2020/1 let alone 4K... well surpassed now.

JSmith

Kookooburra and MR CHILLED like this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

It's funny though, for example when the first 50in 1024x768 plasmas came out, they'd still amaze most people because we've never seen a 50in 768p high dot pitch(for a TV back then).

Now we can see the new TVs make old plasmas( which were never bright to start with), with degraded brightness look dull and coarse.

Certainly a 42/50in plasma might still be quite good for DVD/SDTV and fine for 1080p if the brightness hasn't degraded over the last 10-12yrs, but I suspect it has, which will make any meaningful calibration a real headache.

I would buy a brand new 2012 Panasonic plasma for my DVD habit, but deffo wouldn't buy a 10yr old plasma.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  18. power

power Member

i disagree, early plasma's and LCD's looked like garbage.

1080p is where they got pretty acceptable, as for degradation, i dunno mine still looks pretty good, accurate colours, great blacks and all the contrast i need for now. what's going to push me to a new panel will be when i start switching to UHD content.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  19. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I remember a figure of almost $20K too... only 42". ;)

JSmith

Kookooburra likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Compared to what though....the picture theatre looks like blurry DVD, so when you ran 1920x1080i/p with 15mbps-36mbps, it looked better than anything most people have ever seen, even as a 768p screen.

I should mention that I'm moreso referring to 2007-2009.....I think Panasonic went 1080p in 2007/8, but still sold 768p screens.

The very early panels were garbage, had horrible motion issues and cost an arm, leg and kidney.

I do remember seeing a 65in Panasonic 1080p in 2008ish for $18 000, lol.

MR CHILLED and JSmithDTV like this.