The Surge: souls-like game in futuristic settings

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by FerrisXB9R, May 15, 2017.

1. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Releases in 10 hours.

Available on steam.

There is no pre-load.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

Might pick this up when my PC gets here. Never played Dark Souls though it's sitting in my Steam pile but played the shit out Demon's Souls so I know what to expect before anybody jumps in.

3. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

Picked this up yesterday but only got 45min of playtime and so far it's been good, still getting used to the combat and the keyboard mouse controls.

4. power

power Member

ACG gave it a wait for a sale, tbh I don't know if I'd bother even then - half of the appeal of souls for me (might not be for others) was the environments. The environs in this game look super boring and samey.

Also it's from the same devs as Lords of The Fallen. Which explains a lot.

5. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

I like lords of the fallen and dark souls, I agree this looks really bland.

6. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

Already been discounted to under $40USD, if you look around. :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

FYI, I'm up to NG++ and I fucking love it. It's not as bad as you think. Combat is rock solid. And I'm a souls vet, so can confirm pros/cons vs soulslikes.

Combat is *better* I think is a tough thing to say, but basically it really feels *as good* with a 2 new additions that I truly love. Targeting specific body parts on the fly in combat, and finishers.

ONLY thing it's missing to be a decent souls contender is multiplayer/pvp.

Basically, it's what *I* wanted it to be.

It's dark souls, in a future settings, in offline mode. (That last bit I'd prefer not to be there).

It's got bonfires, shortcuts, utterly bastard enemies and a tonne of weapons. The areas are bland in 5 minute trailers, sure. But it's pretty thematically accurate for the settings, and it really isn't as samey as you think. I WILL admit that within 2 particular areas, I get utterly lost because of how convoluted and samey the map looks. The story is a explained to you a little more than a dark souls would be, but it's still not spoonfed, you need to look up your lore and find hidden computer terminals and datapads to piece together what happened.

All it all its a pretty solid addition, but like any souls game, it's not for everyone.

I'm finding the "it's too hard" or "noob difficulty setting please" to be pretty funny on the steam forums.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. recoN

recoN Member

That's good news! Anything more dark souls-esqe would be good. Shall DL tonight.

9. power

power Member

DF gave it a huge rap from a technical standpoint on all versions - very nice to see.

10. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Didn't even really think about it, but yeah, the graphics are fucking amazing. In fact, probably the best graphics I've seen in a game that doesn't run like a dog with everything turned up in a long time.

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

made it to the first boss and i am getting my ass kicked.

12. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

Up to the second boss, myself.

Whilst the game is souls-like, for quiet a while I was getting a vibe that is more like something else.

Figured it out when I realised there is blocking but no shields - It's a slow-paced Bloodborne. :thumbup:

13. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

PSA: Player Tips for all sorts of things (warning, spoilers)
    I'll preface this by saying I'm onto NG+++.

Firstly, We'll start with some basics

Combat tips:
    Jump and Duck in combat are done by holding Block and pressing forward or backward. YMMV, I never use them.

If you press block just before being hit, IF the attack can be blocked, your next attack will do a LOT of damage. You'll know if the next attack is a riposte if the enemy staggers from your block.

Proficiency of weapons increases their damage. So if you have a favourite weapon type, stick with it, just using it increases the dmg output.

Boss Weapons:
    When you kill the bosses, they drop a weapon. If you kill them using a certain criteria, they'll drop a v2.0 version of the weapon, with a higher base damage, and usually a different visual.
    Criteria:
    1. PAX - kill without letting PAX shoot itself with it's missiles.
    2. Firebug - destroy all of Firebugs legs.
    3. Big Sister 1/3 - Kill Big Sister without killing the welding arms (not the two huge pincer ones, you need to kill them to progress the bossfight. Ignore the little ones when the platforms come together after destroying the 2 huge ones, and just go straight for the wires at the base of the boss)
    4. Black Cerberus - Chop off his right arm.
    5. Rogue Process - Chop off the left arm.
    Sidequest NPCs:
    Irina - depending on how you progress with her, you'll meet her in Executive Forum. You can kill her for the Peacekeeper weapon and the achievement.
    Jo - a woman in the air duct systems you'll meet from time to time. I've given her tech scraps each time (3 times). She will use the Equaliser on Hobbs when security goes berserk, you'll find the weapon outside the ops centre he's in. (btw, on multiple play throughs, the weapon is always there, but sometimes Hobbs is alive next to it, and sometimes dead.)
    Alec - If you agree to find Maddy, and them find her. She'll end up back at the Ops Centre. Talk to Alec to then agree to find a new leg for her. Travel back to Production B and you'll find the part on a ARC robot nearby. He gives you a MkV endurance implant.
    In Nucleus, you'll meet Alec again, in the ops centre. Maddy has gone missing again. She is located on a platform UNDERNEATH the ops centre, attached to the ops centre. Moving the ops to level 2 allows you to get underneath to interact with her hiding behind some crates. Moving ops to level 3 allows you to get to where she's hiding. You'll find a girls necklace, take it back to Alec for the achievement.
    Davey - the Modaxonil implant he wants is located in the Greenhouse area. If you don't get it for him, he will be found on the bridge outside Central Processing B scratching himself like a junkie when security goes berserk.
    Sally - You don't need to talk to her ever, if you don't want, but it makes more sense if you do, when you finally meet her. There is an achievement for meeting her in person, but its not the boardroom scene. Still searching, I assume it's Executive Forum somewhere.
    Other things:
    There are multiple endings.
    Black Cerberus gear is occasional found on NON-RESPAWNING mobs. Besides the Boss, Black Cerberus, it's the only way to get the schematics. Think carefully about what you're missing, and chop those parts off. (Tested, the mobs are random spawns that do not return on a Quicksave/Quickload event. You get what you're given. Any attempt at a quicksave/quickload results in a mob with standard armour instead of Black Cerberus Armour).

Bloodied Proteus is another rare armour set. The mob behind the double doors just before you take the elevator up to Bennet drops the full set pieces, as well as Codename: Parsival v2.0. The criteria for bloodied proteus is the same as Black Cerberus, you'll find it on random mobs on playthrough NG+ and beyond. It is virtuallythe same stats wise as Proteus, just looks different, it has slightly less elemental protection, and more slash protection.

Once you get the security rig, back track ALL THE WAY back to the starting zone. There's a security door in the dark tunnels with a worthwhile implant to get behind a locked security door. There's security doors scattered in every single level.
    Quick save and Quickload are a thing. F5 and F8 respectively. Useful for bossfights, when you're attempting v2.0 criteria.

Weapons:
    Highest base damage per class:
    Single - MG Centurion (Mimetic Edge is a close 2nd doing elemental damage instead)
    Staff - Codename: Carmina
    Heavy Duty - MG Judge v2.0 (strongest base damage in game)
    Single Rigged - Fractal Reaver (2nd strongest base damage in game)
    Twin Rigged - Claws of the Gestalt
    Boss weapon unique special attacks:
    MG Judge v2.0 - R2, R2, R2 (or vertical, vertical, vertical)
    Firebug Throttle v2.0 - R1, R2, R2
    PAX Imperator - R2, R2, R2 (there are other variants of this combo which end in the seismic slam also)
    Hidden MG Gear:
    Ending the lockdown in the server room in Executive forum will open up the MG equipment cases scattered around the levels. ie: the 2nd one in the Ops Centre you got the security rig. The one next to the security rig contains MG Centurion.
    To get Codename: Carmina in the Exhibition Centre, you need the security rig. Go to the small unmapped location where you find 2 Proteus weapon mobs in total darkness, there's a security door down there. Eventually you'll find a fuse to pop which opens the exhibition case.
    Armour Set Bonuses: (fyi this list is also in order of least defense to most defense)
    Lynx - increased attack speed at +70% health
    Chrysalis - health on kill
    Liquidator - additional elemental resistance
    Rhino - increased impact when using implants that boost weapon damage
    Proteus - health regen and increased healing
    Bloodied Proteus - health regen and increased healing
    MG Cerberus - increased defense at +70% energy
    MG Black Cerberus - increased damage at +70% energy
    Ironmaus - increased stability from shield drone
    Scarab - increased vital boost implant effects
    MG Gorgon - increased stamina regen
    Elite Hazard - changes coolant vent drone to toxic vent

14. recoN

recoN Member

I'm enjoying it but it's clunky as fuck. Combat is retarded, console port makes FPS/targeting stupid. But it's an alright game otherwise. Doesn't hold a candle to Dark Souls..

15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

how do you get more health packs?

16. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

17. Supersize

Supersize Member

How the hell do you upgrade your drone.
    I've come to a area that needs a higher level drone core to allow the drone to access, but I can't see anywhere to do it.

18. OP
    OP
    FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Ok, from that bit you're stuck at, I assume its on a small spiral-like staircase?

Go up the stairs, then head to the nearby elevator, which takes you up and outside. You'll find a hole in the pavement that'll put you back in the sewers again, which will take you through the greenhouse, to stop the lockdown, allowing you to enter the labs to meet Dr. Chavez. The core to upgrade your drone is on the desk next to her, it's called the Botecs core.

19. Rockman.EXE

Rockman.EXE Member

As useful as it is... One thing I hate, I hate, I bloody hate right now, is the disabling of quick load when you die during "Vital Signs Not Found" splash.

Having to wait to reload back at the spawn point is becoming infuriating.

20. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

finally got passed the first boss LOL