The Tea Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by miicah, Aug 18, 2021.

1. miicah

miicah Member

So we have a coffee thread, why not a tea one? I've been getting more into tea, experimenting with my wife's extensive collection (people love giving her tea). So I have a good base of things to try and gadgets to use, but what I'm struggling with is finding the equivalent of specialty coffee in the tea world.

So what are the must have bits of gear? And where do I pick up the Yirgacheffe of the tea world?

nav, Groff and BlueRaven like this.
  2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

BlueRaven likes this.
  3. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

If you're into traditional teas rather than flavoured "teas", you're not going to find a lot of joy in places like T2 or T BAR.

For a good range of solid, midrange-ish options, I'd suggest The Tea Centre - https://www.theteacentre.com.au/

Going higher than that, I'd really suggest you try to track down a local. If you're going to pay $20 and up per hundred grams, you should really sample the wares first!

That said, there are online merchants who will do tasting samples for a nominal fee.

If you were in Adelaide, the local I'd point you to is Stu, the Tea Catcher. He has an online presence and has always been entirely keen to help me try new stuff based on my vague whims.

https://theteacatcher.com.au/

What kind of teas do you like?

BlueRaven likes this.
  4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I'm simple. Box of lipton and some honey does me fine for my little indulgent. I am picky about my honey though. I prefer wild flower variety honey. Bought 17kg of it from a meadery down in Denmark (the town not the country lol) call Batholomew meadery last year and still have a fair bit to go. :D There used to be a really nice berry aroma tea I get from woolies. Can't remember brand now, it's in a cube box and it's been discontinued for a long time. The tea doesn't taste much different from regular black tea. But the aroma it gives off is just beautifully fruity. Used to be my go to. These days I like to add a slice of lemon or orange occasionally to my tea.

BlueRaven likes this.
  5. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Registering interest because I can see the health benefits in moving to a "morning tea/afternoon coffee" kind of thing.
    As much as I love my morning heartstarter, I'm now at an age where it doesn't always play nice first thing in the morning, pardon the overshare.
    I've always like lemon-infused or citrusy flavours like a nice Earl Grey, but I know even less about tea than I do about coffee. :)
    Agree with RyoSaeba though, if you're sweetening with honey then make it a nice one like a (proper, genuine) Manuka honey.

RyoSaeba likes this.
  6. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Despite living in brisbane, I typically order from TeaDrop in the south melbourne markets. I used to buy from them in-person when I lived down there, and of the online retailers with a reasonably decent range they tend to work out best priced after shipping (and have great service). Mostly because stuffall of the other big ones have a free shipping threshold

nav likes this.
  7. Groff

Groff Member

I'm not a massive tea drinker but I do like a nice quality tea from time to time.

Rose Grey from Crave in Alexandria. (Yes, they are a coffee roaster).

Are we including herbal teas also or do you want to keep it to black teas?

8. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

I like green, black and some of the fruiter ones, but not herbal/tisanes.

9. Groff

Groff Member

If someone can recommend a good peppermint that would be appreciated.

For reference, and I know this is probably akin to referencing supermarket coffee,
    I don't like the taste of Twinings.
    Nerada was my favorite supermarket peppermint until they changed packaging recently. The tea now tastes more like the Timings :(
    I would describe it as "soapy".

10. nav

nav Member

Looks a bit fancy, but I'll give them a shot as they're local.
    Most of my drinking is black tea (English Breakfast or Earl Grey) with honey and no milk.

I stopped drinking coffee about 15 years ago after realising I didn't really like the taste, never really understood the need to carry this stupid drink around with you, and it's incredibly wasteful.

-nav.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  11. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

BlueRaven likes this.
  12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

or the people who claim they're "zombies" before they get their first cup, or take a sip and go "ahhhh"...

nav likes this.
  13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I'm torn between the desire to not have this thread be about being shit to coffee drinkers, and wanting to understand your point...
    Curiousity has won. What the heck do you mean by this?

14. nav

nav Member

I work in the city, and all you ever see are sheep carrying around this stupid drink. Why is it so important? Why does it need to be carried around? Why do we need so much waste?

The beauty of take-away tea is that baristas hate us so much you can't drink the thing until an hour later, so no one bothers. Win-win.

-nav.

15. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Weirdly, I think the answer to all 3 questions is the same: Everyone is busy. Stimulants because busy. Takeaway because busy. Waste because takeaway because busy.
    (that doesn't mean that what they're doing is useful)

16. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

Sounds very nice, thanks for that. :thumbup:
    I definitely don't mind green tea/jasmine tea (although haven't drunk it since I last went out for sit-down Chinese, way back in the Before Times), so the black/green/citrus blend is worth a look for sure.
    I note that they also mention Lapsang Souchong further down the page as something else to try if you enjoy "smoky" flavours, and that's been suggested to me before too.
    I get the impression that it's a little bit of a "gateway drug" for coffee drinkers interested in broadening their horizons.

Even if I buy nothing else, this thread has reminded/convinced me to go and seek out a passable supermarket Earl Grey in bags, for times when I just fancy a quick cuppa.
    Although as per Groff , I realise this is possibly the equivalent of talking about Blend 43 in the coffee thread. :D
    Unfortunately I've only tried peppermint tea once or twice, so I can't be of much help there.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

RyoSaeba likes this.
  18. Plax

Plax Member

Love my green and black teas, some plain and others with spice.

My batch atm:

Morning;
    Scottish Breakfast - Very strong black tea: Adore Tea
    Morning Red - Nice black tea change up: T2

Afternoon;
    Japanese Lime Green Tea - Favourite refreshing citrus daily, sometimes in the morning too: The Tea Centre
    Organic Matcha Powder I can't remember where from

Evening;
    Chilli Cinnamon - Black tea and love drinking this one slowly to repeat the same spicy experience: Adore Tea
    Arctic Fire - Strong minty black tea: Adore Tea

BlueRaven likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    miicah

miicah Member

After starting this thread and promptly forgetting I had ordered my first tea I thought I'd come back.

I bought this Green Sencha which is pretty good! It's a little weak so I'm not sure whether I'm brewing it wrong (8gm tea bags to 150ml of ~80c water for 1min). But yeah I might have to find a black tea to be a bit more suited to the morning.

20. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I would try increasing times to see if it gets better - some green teas will stand up to 2-3 minute brew times. Others very rapidly get astringent. Really can't hurt to experiment a bit.