[WORKLOG] The Tiny Super Development Rig - Preplanning

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Tazor, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Tazor

Tazor Member

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've built a system. Last time I just did a Fractal Node 304 with 780ti Classified and a 3770K with an H90. It was fast and small and I loved it. But it wasn't fast or small enough. So I'm going to build, what I believe to be, the most overly-powerful-while-still-being-tiny system I can think of. So I'll run through what I have planned.

For reference I'm building this PC because I'm a games designer when I'm not working and my laptop just can't quite cope with some of the super high poly sculpts I do. SO I figured this system might be able to cope. Also I just got a new, higher paying job, so I can afford to be mental with this one.

So what am I planning? Well, as the name would suggest I really want to use an Ncase M1. It's super small, but also super well thought out and pleasant to behold. I've seen a lot of powerful builds and plenty of water cooled builds in these so I knew what I'm planning could be done. But I'm taking it a step further. I'm not using a Z170 board and i7. I'm going for X99. With a Xeon 2699 V3 chip. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, it's an octadeca core processor. So that's 18 cores and 36 threads. To complement that I will be using a Titan X graphics card and 32Gb of registered ECC DDR4 Kingston memory. I will also have a 1Tb SSD and a 240Gb M.2 Boot drive. Powering all this will be a custom cabled Silverstone 600W SFX power supply.

Now this is the extreme cooling section. So naturally this thing will have some fairly extreme cooling in it right? Yes. Well at least as extreme as I can make it. I will be running dual 240mm slim rads (EK Coolstream SE's seem to be one of the slimmest at 26mm) with Silverstone FW101 15mm fans. There will be a Swiftech Apogee Drive II CPU/pump combo and I'll be using the FrozenQ NCase M1 reservoir externally for easy filling and draining. I'll also be using a full cover EK block on the Titan X for good measure. The side mounted Radiator will be connected with quick disconnects so I can remove it to get to the inside without draining the loop and the whole thing - and this is the only silly part - will be piped with hard tubing.

So that's the current plan. Because this build is coming from 6 different sources it's going to start out pretty slow, going to order case and reservoir first in a week or so. So updates may be quite spread out with shipping times and, well you know saving for a $4,000 CPU is always fun.

Let me know thoughts and criticisms. This is an ambitious build and I'm sure to have overlooked something but so far it seems like a capable development system :thumbup:

Cheers

Tazor

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. one80

one80 Member

You'll love them M1 - best.case.ever :D

FYI - The Swiftech Apogee drive II doesn't come with a Narrow ILM mount (nor do they make one, that I'm aware) so you will need to get something custom made up. That's the reason I decided to go for a separate dedicated block, and pump for my M1/X99.

The only other thing I'd say is the SFX600 is LOUD, so if you want a silent system I'd go for the 500L (or 700L Platinum when it's released in a month or two). That may not bother you though :)

I look forward to seeing your 18C build!

3. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Nice system! And thanks for the tips. I think I may just dremel the stock mounting bracket so the ILM mount has something to hold onto... Then again I won't know what will work til I get both together, but this is OCAU, nothing is impossible xD Also I hadn't seen that powersupply so I'll definitely wait on that, do you think the L series PSU's will be too long for bottom mounted Radiators?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  4. one80

one80 Member

I'll be interested to see how you go with the Apogee - I was tempted to try and do something myself so I could get two rads in, but laziness got the better of me :)

The L series are fine to use they are just a little longer than the standard SFX so come down very close to the back of the GPU - they won't interfere with your rad. Some other ITX boards have the PICE slot further up so the cables push the card, but the X999E ITX is fine. I'm going to start a build log for mine also so can show you some pics of the space between the cables and the GPU for reference.

I'd also suggest going with a larger radiator on the side too - the SE should fit well in the bottom, but they don't seem to perform as well as the rest of the EK range. I've seen some builds with a PE240 on the side (38mm deep), which will give you better performance :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Yeah if you could that'd be great, I'd love to see something similar with such close specs :thumbup: And thanks for the heads up on the side RAD, might look at something thicker then.

6. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

The nature of this has changed minutely. I am now going smaller than the M1. I'm going to start drawing up some schematics, but I'm going to try and do this build - except I'm swapping out the Titan X for Fury Nano - into an 18cmx18cmx18cm roughly case. I'm going to see if I can get the pieces laser cut then I'll rivet it together. But I think ever current m-itx case is just way too big.

So now, it will be the same motherboard, cpu and ram. R9 Fury Nano with single slot bracket, only 1 x 140mm Black Ice Nemesis GTS radiator with push pull slim fans and a custom case built to fit this exact rig in as small a space as I can possibly do it.

I know it's ambitious and there will be many nay sayers, but I think with the low TDP of both the CPU and the GPU and extremely compact nature of all the parts, I don't see why I can't do it.

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

AC have just released a waterblock for the Nano, too. Nice timing :thumbup:

Very keen to see how you get on with this. Something like the Jonsbo v3 and an external rad would be awesome :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

This one? http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/aquacomputer-offers-kryograpics-radeon-r9-nano-water-block.html

I really like it too, so I'll nab one as soon as they come out locally. I'm not planning on having any external rads or components. It's something I always find ruin an aesthetic personally. So if I can it will all be internal. There shouldn't be too much heat anyway since all parts are low power, low volts.

9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah, that's the one. Will look lovely in Nickel plate :thumbup:

Ah fair enough. I dunno whether I'd be comfortable pumping ~380W into a smaller rad, but as long as your coolant hovers around the 40 mark or lower you'll be okay. Most tubing, pumps and fitting plate is rated to 60.

I'm watching with interest mate. Good luck! :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  10. one80

one80 Member

Definitely interested on seeing how this pans out now :)

I've started the log for my build HERE, but now you're going away from the M1 it's probably of less relevance....

Looking forward to seeing this!

11. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Okay so I've put down two orders. All the cables from PCCG that I'll pick up tomorrow and get to work on over the weekend and a Performance PC's order for the Radiator, CPU/Pump block, a PCI-e 16x ribbon extender and some bitspower ram sink.

I had the bitspower sinks on my last RAM dimms and the look amazing. Thinking of Powdercoating these ones blue to match the motherboard and color scheme. Because it's only the thermal pads that make content it shouldn't matter if I paint em.

The reason I bought the extender is because I'm going to experiment with possibly placing the graphics card vertical parallel with the motherboard as space saving method. I'm going to make some card board mock ups of the other parts to mess around with configurations and decide what is the most effective, compact and efficient layout.

Stay tuned.

12. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

So I bought a whole stack of cablemod cables and a bunch of connectors to make my own cables. Problem is I was a tad ignorant and didn't realize the cables were male to female for making extenders. Obviously now I've put two and two together and realized, but I now have a beautiful fish tail braided (all thanks to my amazing girlfriend who very carefully and skillfully braided them for me) without an end.

However all is not lost, because past me is not so stupid, and I have all the bits and pieces necessary to make my own powersupply cables from scratch. Namely female connector pins. Lots of em. So what I need to do is carefully remove all the male pins without damaging the paracord or stripped wire and crimp on the female pins. This shouldn't be too hard, if I cut them off from the side they'll just fall off, it'll just be a slow tedious process. Worth it though and when I get photos up you'll see why. Also bought an EK Vardar 140mm fan because I'm only going to have one fan in the entire system outside the PSU and as it's designed with radiators in mind I decided to grab one while I was there.

Apogee, Radiator, RAM sinks are on their way, performance PC's miss labelled the stock they had of the risers so I have to wait for them to get stock sometime in the next fortnight before they'll ship it. Not a problem though, won't have anything to attach to it for another couple of months.

I'll update again on the weekend. Hopefully with some pics of the cables.

13. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

I've been thinking of maybe taking this down a notch slightly, as much as I love the idea of an 18 core system, a 12 core 120W cpu with similar clocks seems more sensible, especially as it's half the price and won't push the board's limits as much with the lower power draw. 24 threads is still heaps I figure.

14. Rory K

Rory K Member

Sub'd :thumbup:

15. BigDave

BigDave Member

Overkill is the OCAU way :cool::thumbup:

16. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Welcome back grand dad. So this is now a two system build log. There will be my first, less exciting skylake system that I'll be picking up next week sometime which will the most compact gaming system I've ever built. Then next year with the X99 update I will build this m-ATX development monstrosity. Stay tuned

17. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

PROGRESS! My laptop sold so I've bought a Jonsbo UMX1 case which I should get tomorrow. I'm then going to size it up and see if I could possibly fit an m-atx motherboard in it. It's proportions seem to work, just whether I can fit everything in there safely. But going to size up various options for this over the next few days before committing to any particular form factor or components.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  18. KriiV

KriiV Member

Congrats on the new job man :thumbup:
    Make sure you post a heap of pics of the build!

19. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

Well I just got a Jonsbo UMX1 PLUS black with window and I'm test fitting some things, I can fit a 240mm radiator if it's less than 25mm and I do some rearrangements of some things. But I want to keep the functionality of the case as much as possible.

20. Imitation

Imitation Member

You might like this.