1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The top dollar retro gear thread. "It went for WHAT?!"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Pierre32, Oct 27, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I do think a GUS as your only sound card back in the day would have been disappointing. But I'll admit to really, really wanting one as a second card now, to experience the few games where it really shone, and also all the tracker music that the demoscene brought to it. A frivolous want for sure, but I just love exploring sound devices and their differences. It's just a shame about the prices.

2. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

3. rugger

rugger Member

Yeah, that did go higher than I expected to as well. I have 2 of these, should sell them lol!

I ended up getting the entire Packard Bell system with that motherboard in it. Should find the crappy winmodem it shipped with and keep it with the system, since they are worth so much now!

4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

5. shredder

shredder Member

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  6. bYrd

bYrd Member

Rare because nobody bought one :)! It does look better in person, and is a nicely specced G3 inside. I picked one up years ago, my 6yo daughter keeps asking to put the "pretty computer" in her room ...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    adz likes this.
  7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

8. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Pierre32 likes this.
  9. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Was that the Coles promotion where students collected $120,000 worth of Coles dockets and got a free computer for their school? I remember that well, kids begging every shopper that left Coles for their docket. The schools would give a prize to the kid that collected the greatest value of dockets.

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

Yes it was - it was a really big thing at my primary school (and then high school), as all we had at the time was crusty Apple IIe and Commodore 64s running LOGO and nothing else. We hated those computers (and LOGO); probably why I don't give much time to 8-bit computing these days and focus my interest on later Macs and PCs.

Kids and parents went crazy collecting dockets, Coles offered the promotion a few times and there was soon a glut of entry level Macs in our school and many made it out to the general public often sold to parents with kids attending the schools. The main Macs distrubuted were Mac Classics, LCs, second wave was Color Classics and LCIII-LC475 boxes, and lastly Director's Edition black 5500 PPCs. Funnily enough though, because they only had basic software installed the kids learnt to hate the Macs as well and became very pro-PC at the time - I had a Mac Plus at home and was probably teased more for that by little shits at school more than any other adolescent issue!

In my 20's I used to love going around hard rubbish looking for vintage tech, and I passed up a shit ton of Mac Classics, enough to fill a wall. Of course anything that wasn't that I'd snag and the best items in my collection come from hard rubbish. The black 5500s were also commonly dumped as they were pretty crappy in terms of performance not long after their release.

JB

FIREWIRE1394 and JidaiGeki like this.
  11. rugger

rugger Member

What ended up happening was that the computer room ended up with a token macintosh that nobody used ....

At least that was my experience when I was young.

We had BBC micro's back then in primary school. They were pretty cool, but you never got enough time on them for them to be useful. And there was always the sense that the real computing scene was with the IBM PC based computers.

12. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

badmofo likes this.
  13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

US $20K "Buy it now" vintage Apple collection.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-Vi...279215?hash=item4dadf9506f:g:T0kAAOSwoy1eyK5l

Current bid is US $10K.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I do really love folks like Digital Foundry, My Life In Gaming, Smoke Monster, RetroRGB and co. They're good people. But bringing information to the mindless masses has unfortunate downsides.

These would have been $50 the week before DF's video.

14. power

power Member

I blame the retro resellers no one else.

15. elvis

Fair call. But it really does suck when cool things are brought to the attention of people, and arseholes over-capitalise for no love and only greed.

And honestly, it's not like they're selling millions of these things. Was it really worth the couple hundred profit dickheads made on things like stashing Nintendo Minis or whatever retro trend of the moment happened?

I unno. Makes me cranky. It's Friday, and I just want to knock off work already and play old games.

16. power

power Member

you wanna play TLOU2, stop lying :D

elvis likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

It's almost like clockwork these days. Some old Roland or Tandy gear will appear on ebay. You check your YT feed later and yep, there's the LazyBitCave video!

18. elvis

"Also", not "instead". Not enough gaming hours in the day! :lol:

power likes this.
  19. Bourke

Bourke Member

STREETS OF RAGE 3, SEGA GENESIS
    14 bids
    $222usd

20. OP
    OP
    Pierre32