1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The top dollar retro gear thread. "It went for WHAT?!"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Pierre32, Oct 27, 2019.

1. okclock123

okclock123 Member

adz likes this.
  2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

3. shredder

shredder Member

Soundcards especially. Finding myself in 2020 as a budget buyer with no decent retro soundcards (never even owned an AWE or an Aureal, let alone Roland/GUS etc), I'm not holding my breath of ever having one, the way things have gone.

The above SBPro 2 was actually the card I grew up with during my teens. (not that exact card!)

Flamin Joe likes this.
  4. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Keep your eyes open and something will pop-up eventually. I would highly recommend an ESS based card if you can find one for a good price. They have great compatibility, and depending on the build quality they can have better sound quality too. IMHO ESFM is pleasing to the ears, and better than Creative's CQM OPL copy.

I also had a SB Pro during my teenage years and will probably never own one again. I'd love to have that whole machine back again if I could.

5. shredder

shredder Member

Pretty sure an ESS based card was amongst stuff I stupidly let go and/or chucked out a decade ago. Luckily I've got one ISA sound card remaining, which I have in my Pentium rig - AD1816 based, nothing special I assume, but it works.

It's mainly the above-entry-level soundcards that I used to dream about as a teen, which I've never had the opportunity of yet. Things like Munt and Fluidsynth are nice consolations.

No retro soundcards exist on the open market in my own country - as in, pretty much literally none ever - which adds the extra dimension of finding the right deal + the right international shipping.

6. bYrd

bYrd Member

The early Sound Blasters are also incredibly noisy in terms of RF interference. I don't get the whole OPL2/3 is best, a later ISA PnP sound card which produces clean sound and reasonable FM is a good tradeoff to me - later ESS, Crystal sound cards are great.

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

I posted an eBay link to a $40 SB Pro 2 + AWE64 bundle in the bargains thread about a month ago - reasonably priced retro still exists but agreed it is getting more expensive. But at the same time that means that there's more retro for sale - there's way more stuff on eBay than there was when I got back into it ~12 years ago. Finding a decent 486 motherboard or AT case was impossible but now they're common, just expensive.

8. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Depends which way you look at things as well, I remember the AWE32/64 retailing for like $3-$500 back in the day does it matter if it costs $70-$100 25 years later?

9. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Yeah that's a great point, assuming we can still expect good life out of the gear. I also baulk at spending $150 on a Model M just on the principle of it, but the mech I bought for my modern rig was $200 :Paranoid:

There are modern sound card projects too like the Orpheus, which promise the best of the old world, with modern features too and none of the old bugs or deficiencies:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70682

Granted it doesn't have the same allure as the classic gear. This one's still on my wishlist though.

10. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  11. bYrd

bYrd Member

It's largely the same dude, that has access to e-waste though. If only we all could tap into that ... imagine the amazing rigs us OCAUers would share :)

adz likes this.
  12. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I remember having these same discussions nearly 10 years ago about prices for retro gear. It's only gotten worse since then.
    I'm glad I did the bulk of my collecting/hoarding back then, I don't think I could afford to start the hobby now.

Hopefully my old kit survives sitting in storage until I feel the urge to play with it again...

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've come across dead stuff of course but none of the working hardware I've selected for builds over the years has died on me so far (touch wood) - I like to think that using quality PSUs, keeping it all dust / moisture free, and careful storage are in the mix but who knows.

DonutKing likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I certainly don't need one of those, and I'm in if we can get the numbers.

BiggusDickus likes this.
  15. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Depending what model Aztech card it is, it may support Disney Sound Source emulation if that is of interest to anyone.

16. rugger

rugger Member

17. nimmers

nimmers Member

18. rugger

rugger Member

I don't feel so regretful about buying a normal 51cm TV with component input now for $50 ....

it's not a sony, but it didn't cost more than a RTX 2080 super to get it :)

19. shredder

shredder Member

Imagine what a 29" PVM would go for.

Random unrelated Googling:
    upload_2020-7-11_14-34-58.png

upload_2020-7-11_14-35-21.png

upload_2020-7-11_14-35-51.png

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  20. breech

breech Member

NZ has an oversupply of Amigas, send some to AU to build up some spending money :D
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchString=amiga

Like this 500 currently at $26 :Paranoid:
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers...tm?rsqid=50349313d7af46a9afeb0bddfbc9cb24-004

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020