1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The top dollar retro gear thread. "It went for WHAT?!"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Pierre32, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Awesome read, made me very nostaglic looking through the list of games. :) I got on the 3D bandwagon very early when I brought a Rendition (3D Blaster PCI) in 1997. Such a mindblowing experience when your first introduction to PC's was CGA/EGA graphics 10 years earlier.

CGL (Creative Graphics Library) is quite an interesting one on that list as it wasn't developed by any of the chip manufacturers but by a 3rd party (being Creative Labs) much like Direct3D was later by Microsoft. It was an attempt to make a non hardware specific api (as long as it was a Creative card of course!) which sort of was the case as it supported both the 3D Blaster PCI (Rendition V1000) and 3D Blaster VLB (3DLabs) but it wasn't always gaurenteed. Performance was also never as good as the chipsets own api.

Ahh the good old days of every man and has dog having their own 3D api. :lol:

Pierre32 and adz like this.
  2. bYrd

bYrd Member

3. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Sweet baby jesus I gotta get me a sticker making machine!

Pierre32 likes this.
  5. power

power Member

6. shredder

shredder Member

The Windows Sound System card I was watching went for $40 in the end. Not an unfair price. My worth-it limit was low 30's. Already having a few old sound cards, I don't need it.

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Maybe it's because I haven't been heavily collecting for a couple of years now so I haven't kept up with prices, but does this seem out there price wise? I get that it's a good game and they don't often come up for sale but I'm just struggling to see the value. It ended up selling pretty quickly too so perhaps I'm wrong. :confused:

upload_2020-8-1_8-26-3.png

Attached Files:

8. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I’m told that seller is a known flipper, that very copy sold on eBay last week for $80, that guy bought it then immediately listed it on Facebook for $280.

personally I think that price is completely ridiculous.

dirkmirk and Flamin Joe like this.
  9. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Ah that's handy to know just thought he was some cashed up bogan he has all the mannaccom stuff IIRC.

10. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Yes he has a lot of cool stuff, he's very prolific. But he has a bit of a reputation in the group, if he has something you want he will happily gouge you for it.

The group admins look the other way because they do it too. There was a sealed Stunts on ebay recently, sold for $600, I believe that was one of the admins flipping it; they bought 2 from USA, kept one, flipped the other and made a profit on the whole exercise.

11. badmofo

badmofo Member

12. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Yep, that's rather poor form.

13. rugger

rugger Member

Board looks mostly fine actually. That battery is quite bad, but the board itself doesn't seem too worse for wear for it (based on what I could see) of it of course.

Doesn't look like Amiga 2000 kinds of battery explosion damage. I'm half tempted to put a bid on it. Not really cheap, but not expensive at all if you can get the board working.

JidaiGeki and adz like this.
  14. shredder

shredder Member

You can visually tell? What are the clues? I haven't dealt with an old board/battery like that in modern times.

15. rugger

rugger Member

There isn't a lot of corrosion on exposed metal parts like the resistor legs, jumper headers or power connector.

Looking at the traces under the solder mask, I don't see any substantial discolouration of the fine or coarse traces that are visible.

Of course, I can't see the keyboard connector well or under the battery, so it would still always be a bit of a crapshot. Can't make a 100% diagnosis of anything without cutting the battery off and examining the area properly, then installing CPU/RAM/Video and powering it on.

shredder likes this.
  16. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've brought a few acid damaged boards back to life but call me a pedantic-blouse-wearing-poodle-walker - I can't bring myself to put them at the heart of my carefully crafted systems.

17. shredder

shredder Member

Looks like $285 is now the secondhand-retail price of a decent condition Model M keyboard in my country.

upload_2020-8-10_0-47-3.png

I don't really like/need one, had one before.

People are trying to sleep in the next room!, not hugely compatible with ye olde Gatling Gun sound of a reasonable speed typist.

adz likes this.
  18. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

19. badmofo

badmofo Member

20. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

First model, around 80,000 made. The serial on this is at the 17k mark which is early-ish in its first run.

To put it in perspective, an original Apple II (not Plus, Euro Plus, IIe etc) with a 17k serial number would easily go over $1kUSD, probably creeping closer to $2k if it was in good condition.