The top dollar retro gear thread. "It went for WHAT?!"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Pierre32, Oct 27, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Hmm tempting, but the shipping is outrageous!

adz likes this.
  2. adz

adz Member

He may as well have listed it for eleventy billion dollars.

3. Phido

Phido Member

At least its rare..

Can't believe you guys haven't jumped on these..
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMMODO...039629?hash=item2f47cc61cd:g:njgAAOSw2jdfKlj3
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/COMMODO...DATASETTE-GAMES-SD-CARD-C64-PAL/284044571873?

Also I've noticed the C64 Maxi has gone up in price and is generally sold out everywhere. Was going to get one for the kids at Christmas. Seems like its now a $250 item +$50 for an additional joystick..

Edit-- Arhh they are releasing the C64 maxi in VIC20 configuration in Europe, and the C64Maxi is getting its big US release. Hence no stock for OZ :-(

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    adz and badmofo like this.
  4. flain

flain Member

Tell him he’s dreamin?

645A1BCC-A207-4606-BC91-0C41AEE70D8F.png E4AFF67B-7169-44A1-B4A2-AE41BAB5EA91.png

It's so original it has a multi game board in it :D
    No doubt probably the original cab but still..

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

You'd think for that kind of money that you would at least go to the trouble of giving it a clean to make it look presentable!

6. power

power Member

why do all these fuckwits think they struck gold on antiques roadshow or some shit?

elvis likes this.
  7. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

greed mostly I would guess?

8. power

power Member

search ebay, find highest sell price.

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I was expecting to see a Cyrix 5x86-133 or something for that price.

The seller has some cool stuff. Hilariously over priced, but you don't often see a boxed Sound Blaster 2.0, a AWE64 Gold with a SimmConn, a pair of Voodoo 2's, an SC-55ST, Rendition Verite V2200, etc etc on the same day.

This takes the cake for overpriced: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224207463575
    The street value of a regular K6-2 is about $10-$15. :lol:

Flamin Joe and Pierre32 like this.
  11. power

power Member

but it's AMD man, don't you know they are the best?

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I really don't get it. It's not even worth it for the dollars per hour your "earning" off the sale.

I resort to eBay if and only if I don't know someone locally who would want it. I think I've given away maybe 4 car-boot-loads of old computer bits to OCAUers for free, because at least I know they'll enjoy it.

13. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

14. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

This is no exageration, but there used to be an Atari PC3 for sale in Italy on eBay for a ridicolous price which was there for years. Maybe he finally got lucky and found that sucker or he finally gave up as it's gone now, but it boggled my mind why you would bother having something on eBay for so long.

I do sell things on eBay but it's rarely retro items and mostly random stuff which I want to move on to fund other things. Anytime I sell anything I don't like to stuff around so I'll list it for a Buy It Now price which I think is reasonable and wait. If after a couple of days there a no bites I'll drop the price and maybe even add a Best Offer option in case my pricing is a bit off. Never had much of an issue selling and rarely had to relist a item.

I see the items I linked have been relisted at the same price. No surprises there. :rolleyes:

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

There are people who fall hard for false economies. They get addicted to the sale, or only look at the inbound amount and don't count either the actual dollar cost or time it took them to get there.

The same disease plagues new stuff as much as old. People who buy up all the mini consoles to flog them on eBay, for example. How many hours of your life do you need to invest in that just to make a fraction of what you could doing almost any other money earning task?

The whole thing shows me how terrible the average person's basic maths skills are.

BuuBox and Flamin Joe like this.
  16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Sometimes collectors/hoarders/enthusiasts like having a particular thing, and the only way they can bring themselves to get rid of it is for a certain price.
    If an item is worthless to anyone else, they’ll just keep it because it may be worth something someday.
    BUT if it’s worth a lot, they can justify having it, and selling it so they may purchase more junk to hoard in the hopes that new junk is worth it someday.

I am from a family of hoarders (Think 50 year old car in the living room surrounded by newspapers and with random gold and cash mixed in type hoarding) but something in my brain gets to a point where I think ENOUGH, and start to sort and get rid of shit.
    But the hoarding gene means I can understand at least one reason people do that.

Example: I have some Nice TV’s here, they’re worth about $50 tops to anyone else realistically.
    But when I want to use them, they’re worth more than $50 to me. If someone else wants one, They can pay $400. If I get sick of them and want the space back, then I will just throw them out, but as long as they’re listed, that’s what they are worth.

I’m not saying a lot of prices aren’t greed, but when shit is listed at a stupid price for a really long time, it’s more likely because of mental illness, and it’s hard to get angry at them personally.

Edit:
    If anyone has trouble understanding how and why things can go so high, use the hierarchy of retro pricing:
    price hierarchy.jpg
    (now before anyone's blood pressure goes up: no the image is not real, and no the mouse isn't for sale and hasn't been since it was new)

And you can apply the hierarchy to ANYTHING retro...
    OLD monitor $0 or best offer.
    Vintage monitor $20
    Retro monitor $50
    Rare Old Vintage Retro monitor $100
    Like new Rare Old Vintage Retro monitor $250
    Like New Rare Old Vintage Retro GAMING monitor $500+
    In general, shit that's practically useless goes up if someone wants it, and from the past 40 years we've learnt gamers will pay for any old shit, no matter how bad. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    elvis and BuuBox like this.
  17. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    adz likes this.
  18. okclock123

okclock123 Member

MR CHILLED, breech and adz like this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

This guy's boxed SB 2.0 sold at the $300 asking price: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Creativ...T1350B-CT-1350-Revision-3-Boxed-/224216121098

I guess that buyer didn't notice that someone else had listed one for $165: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Original-CT1350B-8-Bit/203170564743

And I'm keen to see where this auction ends in 14hrs (CT1320C + CT1350B + MIDI breakout box): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Creative-Labs-Sound-Blaster-1-5-2-0-and-MIDI-breakout-box/264918925179

Flamin Joe, badmofo and okclock123 like this.
  20. okclock123

okclock123 Member

I was eyeing the last lot for days. Took a lot of effort to convince myself it’s not worth it. Such collectibles though..

Boxed cards - not so fond of. Cardboard packaging does not add value to hardware in my book and the prices were way much even for a fan of these specific era (pre 1993 dos) cards like myself.

Pierre32 and FIREWIRE1394 like this.