1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

The top dollar retro gear thread. "It went for WHAT?!"

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Pierre32, Oct 27, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Very much this, and this whole thread re-emphasises that for me.

And in the same breath, I see a lot of people in the retro console playing/collecting world whinging and bitching that "retro is too expensive" and "collecting is too expensive", and yet when I suggest they collect PS2/Xbox/PS3/XBox360, they all scoff with a "but that's not retro" comment.

And yet, my collection worth street price / eBay / complete bullshit numbers of estimated tens of thousands of dollars was purchased for a mere fraction of that, because I bought games when they were $5, certainly not $50, and definitely not-on-your-life when they were $500. Today's "EB Games $15 bargain bin" games are tomorrow's "YouTube hidden gems" and eBay ridiculous prices.

Amazing that people can't put these two factors together and realise buying in before the YouTube hype is the only way to get a deal. And if they need YouTube to tell them what to buy, well I guess they're already a lost cause.

Same same for PC parts collecting too. Get in while the gettin's good.

adz and modernshoggoth like this.
  2. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

Pierre32 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

There is potential for a good deal here. Someone alert OzBargain!

upload_2022-2-5_10-17-23.png

adz, ashenIC, badmofo and 1 other person like this.
  4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

The lack of an Afterpay option is a deal breaker for me.

"4 payments of $3,750 with Afterpay" :lol:

adz, ashenIC, badmofo and 1 other person like this.
  5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

adz, qwertylesh and Alby1976 like this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Guy contacted me if I wanted to purchase his jap snes and a few carts.... Nothing really rare in there, anyways, price blew me away...

Anyhows here's how the convo went...

IMG_20220225_081402.jpg
    I'll probably need to explain that a bit better, seems all the local kids here are trying to get into the retro action, but the asking prices here are absolutely crazy, at least dubble of that in Oz, sometime more that tripple. I have a few ads running locally in our community that I'll repair thier consoles for free (if I get the jist that they are in it for the games, not for profit), and off that every now and then I get a guy contacting me through that and if I wanna buy his stuff at crazy prices...

Seems like a lot of kids these days are in it for the money, not for the games, which probably isn't too far out of left field as they have no psychological ties to those early titles..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

its like that everywhere though. a trend we may see continue and never die down.

8. unifern

unifern Member

speechless.

Attached Files:

9. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

doesn't look like your stock voodoo 1 has some slot for a daughter board? and sli too looks like it. Must be a rare version

10. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

The daughterboard lets u plug another voodoo1 chip in so u can sli without having another slot taken up. They were the only ones who made such a card. Someone probably has the other half so they bid a lot on it.

RogerWiIco likes this.
  11. SomeChap

SomeChap Member

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_obsidian.htm

Yeah quantum had some crazy options for voodoos , if you had deep pockets.

[​IMG] q3d_amethyst_4mb.jpg

"Five more variations of the classic Obsidian Voodoo Graphics design- A SB50-2200, SB50-2400, SB50-4400, SB50-4220 and a SB50-4440 with 12 megs of ram. The Obsidian boards above that are equipped with Amethyst daughtercards have 1 Pixelfx chip and 2 Texelfx chips, compared to a "normal" consumer Voodoo Graphics board like the Diamond Monster which has 1 of each. Click here for screen shot of 4440 display properties"

50-2200 Main board #1 with 4 megs of ram (2/2)
    50-2220 Main board #1 with 2 MB Amethyst (2/2/2)

50-2400 Main board #2 with 6 megs of ram (2/4)
    50-2440 Main board #2 with 4 MB Amethyst (2/4/4)

50-4200 Main board #3 with 6 megs of ram (4/2) (NEVER SOLD)
    50-4220 Main board #3 with 2 MB Amethyst (4/2/2)

50-4400 Main board #4 with 8 megs of ram (4/4)
    50-4440 Main board #4 with 4 MB Amethyst (4/4/4)

RogerWiIco likes this.
  12. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

I still laugh at the quote "High Tech" on the box of my SNES, I gave it away for free a decade ago. Who is buying these things for such inflated value? ~10x there retail value when new? Bonkers.

13. unifern

unifern Member

RogerWiIco ThunderbirdMoz SomeChap ah, well that makes more sense. unless they don't have the daughterboard which is probably more rare, probably still better off buying a regular v1 and paying someone to double the ram for ya lol but at that point might as well go for SLI voodoo2s? but i guess unicorns gonna unicorn.

Boxed Turtle Beach tropez approx $548aud not including domestic and international shipping https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j1040380818
    sc.JPG
    slightly better pro model bare card on ebay sold for $59.29 https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/255307724639?epid=20030778501&hash=item3b7186b75f:g:UG4AAOSwEBFhz7kv
    ebr.JPG
    i understand the yahoo listing has the box and og floppys but is that really worth 10x the price? apparently so, lol.
    Only got into the retro stuff around 2019/20 it seemed Japan avoided the retro insanity until about 3-4months ago? dunno what changed. maybe with chip shortages more folks are going back to re explore old gear. or maybe there's a popular Japanese version of LGR lol

Vanne likes this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

No one is buying those cards for use, (the really expensive ones) they would be going straight In to a collection, prob never to run power through again...

Shame, but there it is....

Lovely sound card you listed there :thumbup:

15. unifern

unifern Member

i couldn't imagine spending that much for such a specific niche nerd cred display piece :S surely with that money you'd need a custom perspex display setup or something otherwise if its kept in box that'd be hilarious, fool and his money i guess
    glad i stocked up on midi modules before the madness hit.

16. Vanne

Vanne Member

You know, I said the same thing when the bimmer E30 was like 5k aussie, wish I bought a bunch of em then and locked em in a dusty old barn in the middle of Ali Ping back then... ;) Which midi modules did you stock up on?

17. unifern

unifern Member

yea for sure can apply that to a huge range of cars, especially that era of mad max muscle cars haha

oh a bunch been watching fromjapan site for about year and went a bit overboard sc55s/88s/8850/SD20 mu50/80/90/100 tg300s some less common ones pop up time to time like Akai SG01k, Korg AG-10, 05R/W, CBX-T3, Kawai GMega, the Yamaha FB-01s have shot up insanely in price and i got no idea why as atleast one or two pop up each month.

if ya patient ya can still get MU50s for around $50 but add another $70ish for fees,shipping+GST can be less if ya package with other items long as it meets japan surface post dimensions
    the 55 mk2s and 88 pros are up around $170ish before shipping so more or less close to local ebay listings which aient worth it in my opinion, but the regular 55/non pro88s are still around $70 not including shipping fees

I've gotta check all their batteries/caps and while most have barrel jacks the ones with transformers ill have to test with the step down or convert em if they're multi tap, still got a garage full of project pcs to work through lol. some modules will make their way to the fourm/ebay over the year

Vanne likes this.
  18. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nice gear mate, you'll need to show us a few pics. I love my sc55mkw, but only as it purely serves my purposes. I'd love a few others, but can't justify the outlay, not that it insanly much, but because it will just get stached and not used. Even my sc55 doesn't get as much use as the MT-90. That's my go-to midi box and stand alone player. I now have soo many classic games midi on floppy, I can just whip one in and be chillin in no time..
    Seriously under rated bit o kit.

19. unifern

unifern Member

can do but not sure where to post that though, ill start a project/worklog thread in the coming weeks.
    Interesting never came across the MT-90, can't import items with speakers from japan without it being banned from regular post so ends up costing hundreds otherwise, seems two sold recently on ebay for around $70 only 1 aus listing for $330 with best offer might try to lowball otherwise but ill deffo keep an eye out thanks.
    curious now how many other dedicated standalone midi players are out there.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  20. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

adz likes this.