1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Travel Photography & Kit Thread

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Deftone2k, May 6, 2015.

1. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

Hehehe .. again :) ??

2. lench

lench Member

gonna be taking my RZ setup to the US and canada in a couple of weeks. i feel like i have a screw loose thinking i'll enjoy myself :cool:

Backpack - Karachi Outpost (L)
    Camera - RZ67 + WLF + 120 back + 110mm lens (attached), 65mm in the bag
    Tripod - 'fancier' yumcha brand. surprisingly sturdy for its small size
    Filters - 77mm Red, Yellow, and Lin Polariser

its definitely not a camera i'll be dragging around everywhere. i have an old Lumix FT2 i'll be taking along for when im walking around cities and for snapshots and such

i figure if this guy can lug around his 8x10 kit, medium format should be a cakewalk :lol:

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

Anyone here travel and strobe?

Crumpler Dry Red 5 backpack + Haven insert
    Sony A7II
    Sony 55/1.8
    Sony 16-35/4
    Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Li-ion + 2x A Heads
    Macbook Pro Retina 15'

Kata PL-W99 Rolling Case
    2x Manfrotto 1052BAC Light Stands
    YN-565EX
    Sony HVL-F43M Flash
    Crumpler Moderate Embarrassment 13'
    Lastolite Ezybox II Softbox M
    Lastolite Ezybox II Softbox L
    RQ Cables
    Soft light stand bag
    Gitzo GT2543L Tripod (newly added)
    Various accessories

The bulk of my travel is between BNE-SYD, and I use Sydney rail to get to and from shoots. So for location shoots what I now do is squeeze the Med Ezybox, RQ pack and cables, YN-565EX, and a 10kg sandbag into a standard cabin roller. I'll transfer the Haven insert into the Moderate Embarrassment and then chuck the light stands and a shoot-through umbrella over my shoulder in the sling. It is definitely a lot better than dragging that damn rolling case around, which I have done quite a few times before!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Haha it's all good, it ticks the boxes in the right way :) I figured I could always go a different ICU if needed, I have seen a few kits packed now in the FSTOP range, so pretty sure the Tilopa is the right size, although the Satori was also mighty tempting.

That is super fast! Unfortunately wont be home until the 7th as I am in Melbourne to shoot a wedding.

Only if it makes business sense, it did for me last time (I wrote my whole kit off in one financial year ;))

I love my RZ but you are totally bananas. I actually lug it with me many places.. and I love it but it simply is just so hard with the weight and the way it packs down. I have lost the cover for my prism finder tho (desperately trying to find a replacement). But having to unmount lens + body cap + prism each time you want to pack is just ... too much. Hence why I bought the Makina 67 in the end. Most people who carried large format had a sherpa/donkey or assistant haha.

I also switched to the prism due to missing too many frames with the WLVF.. now my hit rate is 9/10.. even surprised me!

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  5. lench

lench Member

Yeah agreed, using the prism vs the WLF is like night and day. If you find a supplier of prism caps that don't charge $50+ shipping let me know ;)

The weight will suck, but the girlfriend gave me the old "you have too many cameras" talk.. I figure if I suffer through this I might be able to justify getting a 'Texas leica' for travel

6. crispy12

crispy12 Member

Those are quite bulky too. IMO equally bulky to an RZ. I would say Hasselblad with standard lens is quite small. Also Mamiya 6 is very small folded down. Mamiya 7 if you want 67 format but it doesn't collapse down.

7. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

The local suppliers I listed are the chain ones, but you will often find independent ones that are very good. Here in BNE K2 Basecamp is my favourite store. These stores often stock the better brands rather than their own range of stuff. Local pricing is a lot better than it used to be too. I do buy a lot of stuff locally now.

Very impressed with your tent research. :) I've got a Tarptent Scarp 2. It is awesome. Very well designed and great value. The advantage with Tarptent is that they do have a local guy in Adelaide that handles a lot of their dealings in Australia. He is active on the bushwalking Australia forums. He also does their seam sealing for Australian orders if that option is ticked on purchase.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for people just getting into hiking, but for some of the lightest options out there check out ZPacks. His hexamid series has a great reputation.

8. zachnedwich

zachnedwich (Banned or Deleted)

You still pay US shipping coz you still gotta buy it from Tarptent, the local dude posts it so you get it faster, but he gets restocked from the US, postage courtesy of you.

Get the mini poles if you're not a clicky clacker, maybe look at the Contrail too.

MLD and borah gear are sw8 too, I gotta big agnes tent but usually tarp or cowboy camp, bivvys don't work here unless they're just bug netting

Pad I gotta thermarest, bag is a marmot, wanna get a quilt tho 7 weeks for Enlightened Equipment one is a long wait

9. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

I might be looking to sell an EE down quilt soon if you're interested. It is the older style karo baffle design.

10. zachnedwich

What's the length and temp rating? Might be keen, how much are you after?

11. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

Haven't thought that far ahead. It is a -7 rating in a long size (I'm 185cm). I'll PM you with details.

12. zachnedwich

Rad, danke!

13. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

We did a month in Africa at the start of the year and took:

Olympus OM5
    Oly 12-40mm f2.8
    Panasonic 20mm f1.8
    Oly 45mm f1.8
    Panasonic 14mm f2.5
    Sigma 60mm f2.8
    +
    Sony RX100

If we were to do it again, I wouldn't bother with the 45mm or 14mm - I don't think I strapped them on once. We went on safari and I wished I had more reach than the 60mm. So I'd ditch that and spend up on the Oly 40-150mm f2.8 (or equiv). The 12-40mm is a gem and weather-resistant. I'm also annoyed I didn't take a polarising filter.

We did a trip to NYC last year and took:
    Panasonic GX1
    Panasonic 20mm f2.8
    Panasonic 14mm f2.5
    Panasonic 12-40? kit lens
    +
    Sony RX100

I used the GX1+20mm predominantly, with the RX100 for anything wide. Worked our quite well, but give it's a city, didn't need too much landscape/pano. The GX1+20mm was great for street photography. Super fast focusing, sharp and subtle in size.

I did the Sh!tbox Rally last month and took:
    Olympus OM5
    Oly 12-40mm f2.8
    Panasonic 20mm f1.8
    Oly 45mm f1.8
    Panasonic 14mm f2.5
    Sigma 60mm f2.8
    +
    Sony RX100

Again, basically only used the OM5 and the 12-40mm, with a bit of the 20mm for night time, low-light. Used the RX100 at the pub a little.

I frikken love m43 for travel. IMO less-is-more. I hope Oly/Panaonsic et al keep developing this system.

14. JamesR

JamesR Member

I have a Fuji GSW690, Hassy 500cm and an RB67.
    I have done day hikes with them all, and much prefer the 690. But I always like to carry it around my neck, and have it easily accessible.

15. jjinh

jjinh Member

For the last 5 or so years the Panasonic 20mm has been the only constant in my travel kit! I sometimes bring other lenses but I usually dont bother.

I assume it's got a lifetime warranty?

From my personal experience with High Sierra if you take it back to the retailer they may give you a new one...

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

Here is a thread i started a while ago about hiking packs: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1072500
    Has some good resources.

Personally i still have my 1609 and 1603 framed bags, and they are good for holding lots of gear and being able to carry it reasonably well, but they are super heavy and bulky at the same time.
    I also have a Loka now with a medium slope ICU, which i use for most hiking these days. But now that i have the m43 im considering what i will use for travel.

17. millsy

millsy Member

When I was in Abu Dhabi / Dubai last weekend I found myself taking a hiking backpack but then placing a smaller camera satchel inside it.

Used my 18-105 (with CPL) and 35mm, didn't feel the need for more, I really like that combo for weight/quality :)

18. Goldenjera

Goldenjera Member

Well, theSeekerr and I went to Singapore about 2 months ago. We bought our whole kit. They've also been to Bega and Central NSW.

Portability was the main reason we finally upgraded from our 30D + 40D. The mirrorless Oly's were a huge step up in the world.

Bag one
    • Lowepro Event Messenger 100
    • Olympus OM-D E-M1 with Peak Design Leash attached
    • Olympus 75mm f/1.8
    • Olympus 25mm f/1.8
    • Olympus FL-LM2 flash. Very tiny, I think it came with it, very rarely used.
    • Lumix 14mm f/2.5
    • There's another better larger flash hanging around somewhere...

Bag two
    • Lowepro Event Messenger 100
    • Olympus OM-D EM-5 with EVF, I don't always use the EVF but I like having it. Peak Design wrist strap thing (the "cuff") attached, and my OM-10's 30y/o plastic strap is usually attached too.
    • Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro
    • Olympus 45mm f/1.8
    • Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6
    • Olympus 40-150mm f/4-5.6
    • Two Hoya ND8 filters - 37mm and 46mm
    • Two Hoya CIR-PL filters - 37mm and 46mm
    • Peak Design capture clip, I hardly use it, so it rarely goes travelling.

The bags are light, but I personally find my shoulder starts to ache after a while due to the unevenness. I am not a shoulder bag person. When I can, I usually just put the EM-5 + 60mm macro in my handbag/backpack with the 14-42mm in a side pocket.

Might see if theSeekerr has any ideas regarding camping/hiking. We did take these camping, but it was a "drive until you park your tent" type of camp. For a night.