1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Uber APC UPS for the home...

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by aokman, Sep 18, 2020.

1. aokman

aokman Member

So I thought I would put this here as I'm sure most of us run UPS or similar and might have an interest. If an admin feels its better in electronics section then feel free to move but I think it more targets the home NAS / server crowd :)

Anyway I have always had an interest in trying some ex enterprise UPS equipment, repurposed for home use but always been concerned about if it can be done, or if it is even a good idea... The goal is to get a run time of around 2hrs for my server during power outages.

So arrives the APC UPS 3000XL (3000VA Extended Runtime) with network management cards, I managed to score 2 of these ex corporate with brand new battery packs for $500ea. Not much more than you would pay for a new 1500VA unit with a relatively low run time. Some features available on these aren't even on the latest home APC UPS's such as network connectivity, customisable high and low voltage trigger points for the batteries to take over etc...

IMG-1222.jpg apc1.png apc2.png apc3.png

Now the catch, these units use 16A IEC connectors rather than your usual 10A power connectors. The reality of these though is that this connector is specced for the UPS running at 2400W full load while also charging the batteries at peak charging capacity from empty. You can safely run this particular UPS on a normal power point providing you don't exceed around 1800W load.

IMG-1221.jpg

If you wanted to be double sure you don't overload your power point, you can purchase these:
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/ampfibian-15a-to-10a-micro-compact-power-adaptor_p0185725

IMG-1217.jpg IMG-1218.jpg IMG-1219.jpg

The results:

2300W Load Runtime: 7.5 min
    950W Load Runtime: 21 min
    425W Load Runtime: 40 min
    150W Load Runtime: 118 min

UPS No load idle - fully charged (Power Consumption): 41W
    UPS Peak charging capacity (Power Consumption): 515W

Conclusion: If you are looking for a UPS with a very long runtime and can live with roughly 40W power consumption and its not in a place where a little noise is an issue, these types of UPS are a no brainer. Your options are also very limited finding something with a higher efficiency (low power capacity generally) while having very long runtimes. The 2 generally come hand in hand.

The results were with just the internal battery pack (8 X 12V 7Ah batteries / 48V). You can upgrade these packs to 9Ah as a direct replacement if you want to improve runtime by a further 15-20%. These UPS also feature external power connectors with the capability to hook up large DIY battery arrays for ridiculous run times. The charger is more than up to the task and the UPS can handle heavy loads indefinately with its active cooling.

IMG-1210.jpg IMG-1220.jpg

I have now replaced my Back Ups Pro 900 with one of these and have essentially tripled my run time with no other changes.

Also if anyone is in VIC and looking for one, the spare will be up for grabs shortly :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    VIP3R likes this.
  2. stiben

stiben Member

3. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Same applies for the 1500i as it uses the same battery packs, when you are due for a change put in RBC124 pack instead of RBC123 pack or build your own pack out of electrical tape and 2 x 9aH packs for extra runtime. APC does have an external battery pack for that model also...

4. bym007

bym007 Member

I have been looking for a similar UPS solution for my build as well. Going to look how deep the UPS is.

Ex-Corp and a new battery pack. Sounds like someone is refurbishing these and putting up on the market. Where can I find one of these ?

5. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

These measure 69cm deep, I have sourced them from a few places in the past. Lanplus is one place to try in VIC :)

bym007 likes this.