The Ultimate AIO Case? Worklog.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Ratzz, Aug 8, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

To give you all a better perspective of what I'm trying to do here. As you will see, the (physical) amp size really doesn't matter that much. Speaker size kinda does though. Power doesn't matter a lot, although obviously TOO much power in this case is probably not a good idea anyway (I don't want to shake the shit out of the other components!!), and it is, after all, only a couple of feet in front of me, so 2x10W RMS should really be MORE than enough. Also, I plan on running this entire rig on a single 10A household power socket, so again, too much power is probably not such a great idea.

I have no idea what PSU I will be using at this point. It could be my current G-Unique 400W brick for all I know, but that would only be if I didn't upgrade my GPU. I'll most likely pick up a standard ATX 650W Gold PSU for the computer, and run that from a standard 10A power board, along with any other goodies I need power for like the monitor and maybe a USB fast charger somewhere. And a wall wart for the amp of course.

The power board and PSU could be mounted pretty much anywhere, its not like I won't have a lot of space :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paulvk

paulvk Member

Do not make "speaker tubes" box in the area on the ends make the tubes 40mm less then the length of the box section pack the insides with cushion stuffing you can buy it from spotlight this will increase the efficiency and make the path for reflections longer if you put 5watts rms into them you will find it close to painful.

3. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

OK lets see if I can make sense of that. Are you suggesting boxing in the whole section, reducing the length of the tube, and filling in the box section (but not the tubes) with fibre?

Also, your thoughts on a cardboard tube (I'm thinking Auspost postal tubes) vs PVC plumbing tubes? Resin coating on the inside or the outside of the tubes if I use cardboard?

Also, I have some Stinger Roadkill lying around.. worth applying it anywhere? Inside the tubes, around the tubes, inside any boxed enclosure you (I think?) are suggesting?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  4. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've bought 3 of these kits.

EBAY LM1875T KIT

One of these is a spare, to allow for my lack of skills. I really don't foresee any issues though, its all pretty basic and I believe easily within my limited equipment and capabilities.

Also so much more gratifying to DIY :thumbup:

With a discount for buying the 3rd item, a total of 25 bucks, including postage from NSW. I should be able to collect by 24th August locally. (love click and collect, usually faster and I hate waiting for shit from China or HK...)

I'm a bit pissed at postage being applied per item, but hey its still cheap, and more convenient for me. At least I have a fixed date.

I can pick up any extra stuff I need (like heatsinks or enclosure) at Jaycar 500m down the road from me.

I'm also thinking I might go with Straylights recommendation of these TECTONIC speakers, and I think they look the part particularly well too. I do like the look of Majord's DAYTONA speakers as well though, and the brand name is well known.

Anyone else want to throw some speakers into the mix?

5. paulvk

paulvk Member

For speakers have a look at jaycar https://www.jaycar.com.au/response-4-inch-coax-2-way-car-speaker/p/CS2310
    You have the correct idea about the speaker "box" the post cardboard would be good for the tubes as it would not be as reflective as a harder material.
    The purpose of making a long padded path for the sound to travel is to boost the lower frequency response google bass reflex speaker.

6. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

The advantage of pvc tubing are elbows can be used make long ports fit in a small space.

7. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I actually suggested those speakers earlier, but Majord appears to think they would be crap. I was under the impression that the Response series are supposed to be pretty decent value, going by various reviews and recommendations I've come across.

I also thought the cardboard might be a better option, but again, invariance thinks the PVC, and I see the advantages of both routes.

Its funny how polarising this kind of stuff is. I guess when it comes down to it I can only take as much advice on board as I can, then start experimenting with the info I have. I guess I can always change my mind if various options don't please me. Jaycar is so close to me though... and refunds are a breeze.. so I may start with those speakers as a first shot and go from there.

Cardboard tubes are also cheap, and easily removed if they don't suit too.

So many decisions !! At least I got a number of votes for the amps, which was my original question :thumbup: Those are now already ordered, and I think I can build them myself easily enough, so that's a start !!

8. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

No, they wern't the ones you linked ;)

Those ones are probably not bad for the $

9. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Ok yeah, my bad. I was suggesting at that point that maybe I could lower my expectations with that link (if I altered the cabinet dimensions somewhat). The ones I originally looked at, and thought looked pretty good, were the 4" ones, not those 5" ones.

10. grrrr

grrrr Member

OK so correct me if i am wrong, but if you ordered qty 3 from that listing you posted... that would get you 6 amps. :)

Do you have any old heat sinks kicking around (or a busted video card, mother board etc? Do you have a separate 12VDC PSU for testing the amps?

11. grrrr

grrrr Member

Because the speakers expect dual rails +V, G, and -V and you are planing on using a single +12V rail, then we need to make a virtual mid rail so the amp sees +6V, 0V, -6V.

To do that grab the following extra components while you are at jaycar getting speakers:
    4 x 470uF 25VDC Low ESR Electrolytic Capacitor CAT.NO: RE6326
    1 x 1.1k Ohm 0.5 Watt Metal Film Resistors - Pack of 8 CAT.NO: RR0573
    (2 upgraded capacitors per amp + 2 resistors per amp - the resistors can be anything from 1k to 2.2k ohm)

Personally I am waiting for 1000uF capacitors with a 10mm diameter to be delivered, but 470uF will still be better than the 100uF that the amp comes with (and realistically wont make any audible difference). Jaycar has 25V 1000uF capacitors but those particular ones have a 13mm diameter and wont fit nicely on the board.

So I will mount the resistors something like this.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I am waiting on the upgraded capacitors before I complete the job (solder the other end of the resistors and trim the excess).

12. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I understood the listing as 2+1 amps. Although it says they are 'stereo' it also says they are 'mono' and I can only see a single output from each amp, so I thought I was basically buying 3 mono amps, 2 to make genuine stereo, and an extra in case I fucked up.

I'm only a learner in this stuff :)

I've also wondered if there are better quality components that can be purchased to replace any substandard stuff in the cheap kits. I've seen on one video for instance that the guy considered the supplied caps to be inferior, and he was replacing them with a better quality (though similarly rated) cap.

When the amps arrive, I'll certainly be attempting to pick your collective brains on these various facets.

I have a dead 1155 mobo I can steal heatsinks from, and masses of old GPU's, or even maybe buy something from Jaycar when the time comes. I have 12V wall warts and old computer PSU's I can use for 12V supplies.

13. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Further to this. Just to clarify, is this what you mean regarding the enclosure?

[​IMG]

14. grrrr

grrrr Member

Seriously don't stress about 'better' components. All the important stuff is in the chip itself. There is just some power filtering, dc filtering going on around the surrounding components. Solder one up and give it a crack at 12V. You can even find the -12V DC rail on an old computer supply to give it +12V, 0, -12V and make it loud. Just make sure the heat sink is up to it. The chip even has built in thermal protection if the heat sink isn't big enough, but it needs to get pretty hot for that to happen.

15. paulvk

paulvk Member

Yes that is the idea the packing is to stop reflections of higher frequencies you can pack the tubes but it will not make a great deal of difference.
    I had to replace a speaker in my suburban the response was the only ones that would fit I am happy with the sound they are dual units with tweeter mounted in the center they also have a front cover.

16. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Warning.. image spam ahead.. !!

All fans are intakes, filtered. No exhaust fans planned at this stage, I figure there will be plenty of airflow through the top and the intakes should cool all necessary areas well, and positive pressure + hot air rises should send all the heat straight out the top.

That's a Strix 1080ti pictured, GPU is still undecided, but I doubt I'll be watercooling it.
    Retaining board for monitor has been enlarged to accommodate a full sized motherboard.

2 large fans at the rear, 140mm PSU fan intaking on one side and 140mm CPU AIO intaking on the other (or maybe the 120mm H60 I already have lying around in the shed). I may reverse the PSU so it exhausts up instead of down, but cabling will be tidier in this orientation and I don't expect issues with the current orientation.

Amps will share a sizeable heatsink. I'll probably install them in a nice acrylic box with the heatsink protruding, or perhaps even use a metal enclosure that can become the actual heatsink. There will be room for a power board, which I've forgotten to include in the model. The plan, as mentioned before, is to be able to simply unplug a standard PSU cord from the back and carry the whole damn thing away with no further ado.

Critiques and advice still gratefully accepted of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  17. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

After looking at what you're trying to achieve, I'm surprised you haven't just gone with a portable speaker. The speakers you've chosen don't really have a good noise floor to begin with but at least they're efficient and will go loud without much power (they're really designed as oem upgrades so run very well off the 2-3w that stock car headunits provide, a high end 55x4 headunit is only around 5w per channel max).
    I know you said you didn't want any superfluous features wasting space but it could've been much more compact and just as loud :)
    Or even a cheap soundbar cut down in length.

I'm waiting on one of those cheap ebay TPA stereo amps, I'll let you know how it goes because hiss is something that will drive me crazy as I'll be using software to control the volume.

18. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm hoping to get the best sound I can whilst keeping the frontal area down. Loud enough, but with some bass and decent treble. Effectively just a vast improvement on the current absolutely crap monitor speakers.. something as good as a decent CRT TV would be good enough, it doesn't need to be a home entertainment system as such.

The depth of the case is based on the desire to be able to wholly fit a keyboard underneath to get it out of my way under the desk. The width is based on the desire to keep the case no wider than my existing 27" 2K Audiosonic monitor, whilst still fitting a keyboard underneath without making it wider to allow 500mm for a keyboard to fit underneath as well as speakers. The height is defined by the desire to have the monitor perfectly positioned in front of me, ie. the top third will be in direct line of sight as I sit at a desk with the case sitting directly on the desk.

Removable or portable speakers spoil the all in one nature of the design.

I can only assume you mean using a couple of AE Booms or similar in place of my current speaker design, but then I will need two of them, and a way of making the pair deliver stereo, so some kind of electronics would have been necessary anyway to provide proper stereo.

In the end, I'll have a medium sized suitcase, with an average loaded suitcase weight, which will have nothing but a single, removable cord to be unplugged rather than a rats nest of various cables to plug/unplug for portability.

Above all, what I am building is unique, and of my own design. That of course is the overriding bottom line behind it all. Its for fun. I like the challenge.

I'll look forward to your opinion of the TPA amps, they are certainly an option I guess, although I've already order the LM1875T amps. No biggie if I don't use them, I'll still build them just for fun as a learning experience, its not like they have cost a fortune, but going by people recommendations in this thread they certainly look like the current best option.

I can also experiment with speakers, given the low cost of them too. The Jaycar ones will be convenient, and being 500m away is a big advantage, plus my local Jaycar at least will take anything back without question or argument should they turn out to be crap. I am however locked into some kind of 4" speaker (or smaller) size wise so they are worth checking out as a first port of call.

19. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

The kevlar Jaycars will need more power than the Sonys to get to the same volume, and probably a larger enclosure too. Either way they should be worlds ahead of the built in speakers.
    I'm not sure how those DIY amps will do with the EMI blasting from your PC onto them, someone else here could probably answer that as you want a super clean sound it seems.

20. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Not so much super clean, as just acceptable. I'll certainly look at EMI shielding though if it becomes necessary :thumbup: