The Ultimate AIO Case? Worklog.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Ratzz, Aug 8, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Some more progress.
    Still need to install a switch panel, then apply veneer to the lot.

Current construction is a combo of 12mm construction ply and MDF, mostly held together with liquid nails.

Monitor is a ViewSonic VA2719-2K 27" WQHD 5MS IPS from PLE.

I'll show some pix of the back once I have some decent cable work, its just a ratzz nest right now, but looking promising..

[​IMG]

I've abandoned the plan of a headphone pocket, I need the space for a switch panel and the planned bay device. I'll simply install a hook on the side of the case for headphones.

The amp and the space below it will be covered. A mesh cover has been installed above the amp for cooling, more of that in the pix of the rear when I post them.

A pair of $34 (on special at the time, normally 60 bucks) 5.25" JVC CS-DR520 coaxial 40W RMS speakers in 3 litre enclosures sound pretty good. Some polyester fibre is loosely packed into the enclosures. The amp is 2x40W RMS, a secondhand Sony Explod, $29 from Cashies.

Notable here, the front physical volume control, which is simply an inline RCA attenuator. Works exactly as planned... :thumbup: the perfect solution for a paltry 10 bucks.

[​IMG]

Sound test...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  2. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

its getting there Kev:)

3. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thanks mate :)

Wait till you see the back... ;)

4. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A bit of a mockup of the front panel. From left to right.. volume control, black amp On/Off switch ( click on, click off - which actually switches off the PSU dedicated to powering the amp ) with red 'amp on' LED, black reset button, green HDD activity LED, and red ( momentary ) On/Off switch with red 'PC on' LED.

On the base is a Targus 7 port powered USB 3.0 hub, but two of the USB ports are on the rear, so not useful. Its OK, I can't think of any situation when I would even need all 5 of the available ones (one is currently occupied by a 64GB Sandisk Ultra USB, so you may not be able to make it out with the potato photo).

I chose this hub instead of the originally planned bay device because it fit nicely into my panel ( and honestly, I have no use for all of the other shit that the bay device has ), and because it runs from a normal USB port rather than those awkward and bulky onboard 30 pin connectors, which probably would have been too short for the job anyway.

None of it is actually wired up in this shot ( except the USB hub ), and obviously all needs a cleanup. The panels are just sitting loose in their spots.

I plan to link the upper and lower pieces with a piece of aluminium angle on either side, painted black, which will also cover the gaps at the sides of the panels. A single screw through the angle into the middle shelf on either side will provide easy access for service - simply undo two screws and slide the panels out, still joined to each other. Its the simplest neat solution I could think of.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

A quick shot of the rear layout. Don't judge me too harshly here, I clearly still have a lot of work to do...

The PSU's were dismantled, and screwed to the sides of the cabinet through their casings, then reassembled in situ. The PSU fans have about 70mm clearance from the back of the cabinet, and both intake and exhaust within the cabinet. There is a further 30mm or so clearance behind them to hide cables. The one on the left runs the PC, the one on the right runs the amp, which is situated under the black mesh at the base. I plan to shorten all of the power cords and use side entry plugs for added neatness.

The GPU is just a fanless GT710 at the moment.. current plan is to replace it with an 8GB RX580, because currently they represent such good bang for buck. That's the reason for the current orientation of the board.. to give room for the length of a full sized card. There is about 160mm height clearance for a GPU (or CPU cooler), so mounting the GPU sideways as originally planned will not be necessary.

Also, I have ample room for a mATX or ATX board if desired with this layout of course.

Motherboard standoffs are simply 30mm plastic wall plugs, with wood screws going through them and into the timber behind the board. This means 30mm clearance under the mobo of course, to make the M.2 mounted on the underside of the board feel more loved.. and a great place to run hidden cables :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Note the single IEC socket on the rear. That's the only thing that would need to be unplugged should I want to transport this rig.. everything else is internal. That IEC socket runs the 4 point power board..

The upper back will contain a single 200mm fan, intaking over the mobo. The CPU will be running a H60 AIO, I haven't really decided exactly where to mount it, but it is likely to be a top mounted exhaust, along with some mesh venting. I'd normally use a rad as an intake, but this thing will never get hot enough to really make a difference.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Locked the upper and lower front panels together today. Obviously still unfinished, but hopefully tells the story better. The silver screws hold the panels to the cabinet. The black crews simply hold the aluminium right angle to the panels. Undo the two silver screws, and the whole shebang comes out in one piece for easy servicing. The angle also fills the gap on the sides of the panels.

I've just noticed I've mounted the right speaker sideways :lol: It offends my OCD, I'll reorient it with the JVC logo on top.
    I'm considering removable grills for the speakers now.. although as is, I have easy access to the monitor controls on the back of the monitor through that gap, its very rare that I would ever need access, so a pop-in speaker grill would be no issue, and better looking I think.

[​IMG]

7. Defyant

Defyant Member

looking good mate and a excellent proof of concept with that amp i'd imagine those speakers get real loud!

8. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Funny that you'd be the guy to call it proof of concept :lol: That is exactly what it has turned out to be. I plan on submitting drawings to a local acrylic company and having the whole thing remade in black acrylic, all laser cut etc. I was originally just going to veneer it, since my skills and equipment don't extend to acrylic, but I'd really like it to be all in black acrylic, so I'm going to have them make me a flat pack of panels....

Yeah, the speakers are VERY bloody loud... they sound awesome, extremely pleased with it.

Defyant and mad_mic3 like this.
  9. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

its about getting in and having a go, which is what you have done Kev:thumbup::)

10. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The bloody screen is too close to me. That's about the only change I need to make, but to make that happen, the amp is going, being replaced by a little Lepy 2x20W RMS amp, as is one of the PSU's since the Lepy runs on mains power. I'm going to have the base remain the current size, but it will contain the remaining PSU and everything else, since I'll have the room with the oversized amp out of the way.

This will allow me to set the screen back another 100mm or so, and leave me with sufficient room behind the screen for an EATX board. Therefore the cabinet will be an L shape, I'll post the renders later.

The GPU will now have to go back to being sideways on a riser, I'm leaning towards an RX 580 8GB, because they offer so much bang for buck at the moment, prices having dropped dramatically recently, and I really don't need more than that, not being a gamer and only having a 27" 1440P 75Hz screen.

Cooling for both the GPU and CPU will be via AIO's. I'm still doing the finishing touches on the drawings, so I can submit them as a .dxf Autocad file to a perspex joint (PlasProDev) who are going to make me a black 6mm perspex flat pack, with precut, drilled and tapped holes. I''m including all of the necessary predrilled and tapped holes for everything from ITX to EATX in the drawings, just in case. Maybe a TR4 in the wings? ;)

Assembly will be with black M3 16mm grub screws, allen keyed and barely recessed. All of the necessary holes for assembly will also be predrilled and tapped by PlasProDev, they are up for it, just waiting on my drawings for a firm quote but it looks like being about $250 ATM.

Excuse the potato phone recording... about half volume, but this will more likely be full volume when the Lepy is installed I'm guessing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  11. Defyant

Defyant Member

Good to see you going with a 2020 , make sure you don't get the knock off and get the one with the proper tripath chip inside :)

12. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've done a lot of research into these 2020's. Reports are that the tripath is louder but not as clean? I was actually planning on not getting the tripath, the one I am getting has the TDA8566 chip, which apparently also runs cooler than the tripath. Was this a bad move?

Also, the one I am getting comes with a power cable, but has a car adapter on it, and since I don't want to run it from the single PSU I will have now, I also have to pick up a 5A mains adapter.

The main reason I've gone with the one I have is that reports on this chip seem reasonably good, and this one is Oz stock, so won't take more than a week to get here.

I still haven't finished my drawings for submission to PlasProDev, but I should get them away in the next few days.. delivery time is apparently about 2 weeks after that, since my flat pack design is only a smallish job, it doesn't have a high priority for them.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  13. Defyant

Defyant Member

Cools, is there any chance you could clean my thread up please mate? it kinda got off track.

14. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Done :thumbup: Just a couple of responses there you will need to delete yourself. Sorry for the thread crap mate.
    Do you have an opinion about the TDA8566 version of the 2020 I am getting?

Defyant likes this.
  15. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

did you get it all draw up "cad" yet kev:)

16. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Still working on it mate. The desire to move the screen back means I will now have a horizontal motherboard. The new Lepy 202A amp is arriving in a few days, which will replace the big car amp and the extra PSU, which will leave me the space to install a mATX or possibly even ATX mobo. I'll be widening the case to allow for this, with probably a 70mm panel on either side of the monitor, which will also as a side benefit allow me to expand the speaker boxes from 3L to 6L. I'm considering designing them as a ported rather than sealed box too.

Whether I run the amp from the single PSU or a power brick is yet undecided. I'd prefer the second option, to prevent any possible electrical interference, and to reduce strain on the single PSU.

I won't be finishing the drawings until the amp arrives, as some of the dimensions I need aren't given, and sometimes just having a physical dimension isn't enough anyway, it requires a test fit to see if it will all work as intended. I should have the cad drawings done by the weekend I hope.

17. Defyant

Defyant Member

ive got a bunch of those amps sitting under the work bench send me a link to yours and i'll see if i have one the same :)

18. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

LINK

The dimensions given, I think, include the side mounting plates. I'm not sure what the dimensions of the actual front panel are, or the size and position of the knobs etc, so the delay is finding out whether I include a cutout for the whole front panel (trimming a bit from the front of the mounting plates obviously), or just the knobs, etc. I also don't know how long the knobs are, if they are only 10mm long then I'll clearly need a cutout for the whole panel.. with 6mm perspex its not going to leave me much of a knob to fiddle with :lol: .

Of course, I could make just the front panel out of 3mm instead I guess. Reasons to want one in my hand..

I also want to investigate just how bright the blue LED power light is, too bright won't be good, so I'll either need to have just the actual knob come through, limiting the amount of LED coming through what will be a solid black perspex panel, or even opening it up and disabling the LED altogether.

I expect it to arrive tomorrow or Thursday, according to Auspost, so I'll be able to measure it then. I'll also then be able to actually test it of course, and make sure it suits the purpose in terms of audio quality and volume.

The speakers are 4ohm, 88db, so not overly sensitive but certainly don't need a lot of grunt to get them cranking. They are supposedly 85-25k frequency response. They have a pretty strong mid, excellent trebles, but a shallow bass floor, so I'm considering incorporating some kind of porting/bass reflex design, but I will need a 'general purpose' design as exact details for the speaker properties aren't readily available, and creating such a design is totally new ground for me.

Another option is to simply replace them, now that I am going with a different case design I would actually have the space for some bigger speakers, and I do have some 6 1/2" Alpine R's lying around. However, that's a little overkill probably considering they are just computer speakers. OTH, I have no desire to add a sub either, and the Alpines do have decent bass.

Ideally, I'll just get the best sound I can out of the JVC's, but the Alpine R's are my fallback position at the moment. I certainly won't be getting any fancier than that. Enclosure design however is something that intrigues me.. getting the most out of the JVC's might be the best challenge, and without throwing the much more expensive Alpines into the mix.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  19. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Some current thoughts.. not including things like internal power distribution, ventilation, power buttons, etc... All of those USB ports will be USB 3.0 Powered hubs, like the one that exists already in the current wooden proof of concept. Upper ones will be great for longer USB sticks, USB wifi etc. On the back of all 3 hubs are 2 more ports, they are actually 7 port hubs.

The back panel, not pictured, will contain fans and vents, plus the original concept of a single IEC power socket. Internal power sockets, not pictured, will spider from that, to provide power for the hubs, PSU, and potentially the amp as well if I decide not to run it from the PSU.

The large cross brace on the back will be the vesa mount for the monitor, and yes, its in the correct position and the USB hubs will fit where you see them with the monitor mounted.

Front fan would be a filtered intake. Rear fans and possiblly some upper passive exhaust vents also to be decided. This particular version would be ample for an mATX board with a 280mm full height GPU (if I move the mobo just a little further rearward). Speaker size suits the JVC speakers, I'd need some more adjustment to fit the Alpines.

Since the whole thing is hardly ITX, having a couple of minor extra PCIE expansion slots would be nice for a change, hence the switch to an mATX board. OTH, its not a huge factor to expand it a little more, to allow me the option of ATX or even EATX ( Threadripper :D ). This version give me 6 litres of sealed speaker cavity.

Obviously enlarging the speakers will also lift the height of the monitor slightly though, which I am dubious about. OTH, it will also give me the opportunity to allow for the larger mobo. Its all a balance, like anything. Bigger is better option wise, but the more options I leave myself, the more of a monolith the whole thing becomes, which becomes a bad option in itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  20. Defyant

Defyant Member

Yer that's the same as ive got.... that front plate unscrews via the 4 star willy screws and you can trace the holes... the black part is one piece and there's a back plate that also unscrews and the guts slide out.

They do like 5 amps tho! the ones they supply with 2 amp psu's suck ass...

I made a vid on these a while back..... i'll dig it up and pop it on boobtube for ya. should be up within the hour.