The Ultimate AIO Case? Worklog.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Ratzz, Aug 8, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Some of my work is a bit rough and ready, and I work a lot slower than I would like. This is part of the reason.

This is my router table... :lol: This section is for the filter to slide into.

[​IMG]

I've gone too deep, I have maybe 1mm of wood remaining of the original 6mm.

This isn't really an issue as far as the filter goes, it will make it easier to insert and remove. I wanted some extra depth for that reason - but the router bit slipped about 1mm when tightening it and I didn't double check before starting the cut, so I've gone 5mm deep instead of 4mm :thumbdown:

This creates a problem for attaching the fans. As it turns out, 4mm would also have been too deep anyway, as the fans will be getting screwed directly into this panel with wood screws. Otherwise, it would probably have been OK, since the front grille will be attached to it and provide strength and rigidity to the panel anyway.

Consequently, I've cut another section out of 3mm MDF which I am glueing to the back of the fan/filter section. That's outside drying now, I'll post a pic of the modified section tomorrow.
    Here it is looking half nice before the extra bit was glued on.

[​IMG]

I also cut the other L-shaped side piece. Placed it up against the other one to test accuracy and its perfect. Unfortunately I used 6mm instead of 9mm :lol: - picked up the wrong piece of wood. Oh well, that's an easy job, but it turns out I am out of 9mm anyway so down to the big green shop tomorrow for some supplies I guess :D

2. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've also changed a couple of other plans.
    I was going to wait until Ryzen 3000 drops, in the hope it would be fantastic, but hey, I might deal with that later. Instead, for now, I'm going with a 2700X to replace my current 1700.

This will mean the little 120mm rear mount AIO will no longer be up to the task, so I'm moving the cooling to the front with a 280 AIO, with a 3rd 140mm intake fan on the front as well of course, a match for the AIO fans, and replacing the 120 AIO with a 120 exhaust fan. Another reason the front panel will need beefing up, and it will also mean that the front panel will become fixed instead of removable. Access will only be via the removable top cover now.

Not on this list, because PCCG doesn't stock it, is an additional $329 for a second set of 2x8GB c14-3200 Flare-X to complement my existing set. I'll get those from PLE or Scorptec.

I already have a pair of 512GB 960 Pro's, I'll keep those for this new board, and my current 4x 2TB 2.5" spinners.

My current shopping list... not including the extra RAM.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  3. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

looking rock solid kev:)

4. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thanks Mick :thumbup:

Thickened up the inside of the front panel now, as described yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Haven't done anything outside today. I did test mount my new headphones on the old case. These will be mounted on the side of the new case. Nice charging cradle with a keyway so it can be mounted to the side of the new case when its ready.

Not the flashest headphones, but adequate for youtube and movies, which is all they'll get used for. They are a little lacking in bass, but not terrible. Mids and trebles are very good, and range is excellent. Supposed to be up to 100m, I've tested them to about 50m - halfway up my front driveway - and throughout the house. They even work surrounded by metal in the back shed :) Its the charging cradle, and the mounting system, that really sold them to me though.

I like them so much I've posted a review on this forum.. HERE.

Sennheiser RS120 II

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I cut the other side again, this time from 9mm :lol: Its a piece of MDF, not worth a pic.

I thought this one was though. Cleaned up the holes in the front panel. They were a bit rough to begin with, and the extra bit added to the back had deliberately slightly smaller circles so I could trim them all up well.

Love this little 60 grit flappy wheel. Did all 5 circles in about 3 minutes, nice and clean and round. Its been a few days since I glued the extra bit on with liquid nails, so nicely cured. Very pleased with the result.

Actually now that I look at the pic, I can see one small part of the speaker hole that isn't quite round. Oh well.. I'm hoping to get lots of stuff done tomorrow, that will add another few seconds to the list.

[​IMG]

7. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've revised the shopping list.
    I've made the decision to wait for Ryzen 3000 to drop. If its affordable, and as good as expected, I'll go with the highest version of that instead of the 2700X.

Anticipating better memory support, I plan on selling my current 2x8 Flare-X c14-3200. The Flare-X I'll sell immediately I buy the new RAM. I've decided to stick with my 1700 for now. The new RAM is a big ticket item, so I'll need to save somewhere in the meantime !! I won't be able to get the best out of it of course until I buy a better CPU, but my budget is limited to $1500 monthly. Since I'll be waiting for Ryzen 3000, the cooling is also something I can defer, and I'll just be using the Spire from the 1700, or my H60 120mm AIO, until the time comes.

I'm happy to listen to suggestions re better RAM than the Tridents in my list.

I'd actually prefer a non-RGB version, since there will be no windows in this case, but I'm having trouble finding any. Another potential option is some 3733 Trident Z, not RGB and faster, but the desire to keep things all from one shop tempers that desire somewhat, as it is simpler to buy all from one shop within the limitations of my Trust, and PCCG don't stock it. Simpler does not mean impossible though, its still an option. I wonder if Ryzen 3000 will handle 4000MHz+ RAM? Where can I buy some?

Of course I need a motherboard before then, since I plan on having this rig operational well before the expected launch of Ryzen 3000 in July. I've read a lot of reviews, and decided that despite my love of Asus boards, the Asrock Taichi, with its superior VRM's, is a better option. I'm not able to wait until July, and by all accounts the X570 will be incremental just as the X470 was, so I will just go with X470 and assume it will be good enough. I guess I can always change later if need be. AFAIK the only major difference with X570 will be PCIE 4.0, and using mid range GPU's this isn't really relevant to me I think.

My choices would always be limited to Asus or Asrock, as I am not a fan of the Gigabyte or MSI BIOS's, so the Taichi is a no brainer. I don't consider the Asus Crosshair VII to be worth the extra dollars, in many ways it is still inferior to the Taichi, although I guess it does have the advantage of onboard WiFi.

I'm certainly willing to hear the opinions of others on this particular decision too.

I've also dropped the GPU. I'm thinking I can do better than a new 580 8Gb for $299, secondhand here on the forums. Perhaps a Vega 56, or a 1070. I may even look at a new 2060 later though, since a new month means new money.

Wifey is getting my current AB350 Asrock ITX board, I've already bought a 2200G to put in it, and sourced a suitable case, which I haven't as yet collected. Its an Antec ISK-110, which I'll be VESA mounting to the new monitor I am buying her. Her current SSD is sufficient, so all I'll need for her then is RAM. So, for her facebooker, the bottom two items on the list are hers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Rather than using a piece of wood to fill the gap - remembering that the two grille panels are about 1cm shorter in total than the front panel - I've decided to use some of the offcut plastic which I'd removed from the bottom of the panels to make the height right.

So here, I've ground and sanded the ridges away in the appropriate places, and cut a slot into the base of the panels.

[​IMG]

Here, I'm gluing one side of my piece of cut-to-size offcut plastic onto one of the panels.

[​IMG]

You can also see in the above photo another piece of offcut, which although it came from the bottom rather than the top, just happens to be an identical profile, so I'll be adjusting that to size to fill the gap at the top of the panel.
    Then the whole shebang will get glued to the wood panel, which you can see in the background in the photo below, and the assembled front panel prepped and repainted.

[​IMG]

The assembled front panel needs to be removable, despite my having changed my mind and wanting to make it a permanent fixture, as I'd forgotten I'll need access to the speaker holes which will sit behind it !!
    Here are the two side panels, now both assembled and glued to their speaker boxes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Top service hatch. This will simply sit on a metal ledge, retained by magnets. The bottom front edge of the monitor will sit directly on a thin piece of foam on the MDF which covers the speakers.

[​IMG]

Rear view. Mobo tray is inset to allow room for IO stuff to be wholly contained within the case.

On either side of the mobo tray will be switched double (or potentially triple?) power points, again to allow all cables to remain wholly within the case. The only external cable will be the main supply cable, which will plug into an fused IEC socket on the lower left side of the case.

The rear of the case, or at least part of it (I'm winging it in case you hadn't noticed :lol:) might be simple pegboard. OR.. if I get the energy, I'll rout a bunch of slots into a 6mm backboard. Since exhaust will be via the rear, obviously I'll need some kind of ventilation holes anyway.

With the motherboard tray in this position, I have 305mm of length, and unlimited height, available for a GPU, although I could potentially set it back a further 15mm if I chose and still have plenty of room for IO stuff. I don't see the need though, I have no plans for a very long GPU and few GPU's exceed 300mm these days anyway, not even high end ones.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    DSTM (Dougie) and mad_mic3 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Some right angled corner brackets, epoxied and glued into place under the top board.

Some magnets epoxied into the base of the bottom board, in some rather roughly routed pockets. I'll pretty this up later obviously.

[​IMG]

Then, the top board sits on the brackets, magnetically secured. A nice inspection/service hatch.
    Obviously needs cleaning up yet too, plus this upper surface will be entirely veneered too.

[​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Top piece attached.

A quick check for fit with my 27" 1440K IPS panel. Yes, this will be where it sits.

The space on the right will be a panel containing front IO, including powered USB 3.0 ports, a dedicated charge port for the keyboard, amplifier/volume controls, and possibly a clock or even weather station.

I need to look at a Corsair K63 in person, to see what kind of connector goes into the actual keyboard. I know the included cable has a male USB-A cable to plug into the charge point, but I'm not sure what connector goes into the back. The actual cable though I am sure will be more than a metre long, which will be untidy if permanently connected to the case side as I plan to.

Assuming its A>A then I know I can buy 30cm cables, in which case one end will remain permanently inserted into the charge port and the other end of the short cable will simply sit on the deck unless the keyboard is up there, which will be on charge via that cable anytime it is.

If its not A>A then I'll have to assess the length of the provided cable, source a shorter cable, or even potentially have a custom length one made.

There may also be a 3rd wide spaced double power point backing up this side panel internally, to complement the other 2 wide spaced double power points that will be mounted on the base. Obviously all widespaced since most devices likely to need them will be wall warts of some kind.

Completely unsupported. Held there by gravity and a little friction.

[​IMG]

Snug as a bug in a rug. Not tight or loose at all, , and perfectly square - simply a perfect fit :thumbup: . Definitely far more accurate than I'm used to achieving :lol: , very pleased with this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    juzz86 and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The side panel and monitor mounting.

The back board is just glued in place so far. I'll remove the excess glue and screw some aluminium right angles onto either side of the 3 glued faces, screwed on both angles.
    The side panel (front infill?) is simply sitting in place.

[​IMG]

For now, just making sure it fits right is the priority of course.

The largest square within the backboard is 200x200, and the 100mm vesa mount will sit smack bang in the middle of it.
    I've left an out of square bit on the backboard.. its kind of a signature thing. It wouldn't be a genuine Ratzz if it didn't have fuckups :lol: It makes zero difference so I thought I might as well leave it there.

[​IMG]

The backboard is 9mm MDF, the side panel is only 6mm. This will make mounting switches and peripherals easier through the thinner panel.
    All flushed up to the backboard, its 2mm too deep. I either just run with the recess, or shim the monitor out. The side panel hasn't been glued yet, so it can simply be moved to where its wanted. I'll probably just shim the monitor out 2mm I think.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Defyant, mad_mic3 and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  13. Defyant

Defyant Member

I'm glad you went with mdf, i think for this project is the better material :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thanks Defyant .Yeah it will be easier to veneer, apart from anything else. Nicer to work with too. Acrylic would have been nice, but I've always preferred wood when it comes down to it, and getting a flat pack acrylic thing done just wouldn't have provided the same satisfaction as making it myself, and it turns out would have cost a mint. I don't have the skills or equipment to do acrylic myself, and materials aren't cheap either. And it scratches... :lol:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

In other news..

I've paid for some parts, so no more flip flopping.
    In a nutshell..

Asrock Taichi X470 motherboard

Ryzen 2700X CPU

HyperX c19-4000 2x 8GB RAM (for now, I'll have to wait till next month for another set. This RAM is too fast for a 2700X to run at XMP apparently, but its on the QVL for the board/CPU combo so it will at least work. Later in the year, I'll be looking with interest at Ryzen 3000, and if it has better RAM support, at least I'll be ready for it :thumbup: )

bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler. Wow, the first time in years with no liquid cooling at all !! (apart from my Jukebox build). Massive air cooler though, I'm sure it will be up to the task.. 250W TDP, it should be dead silent.

6x bequiet! 140mm Pure Wings fans.. 3 for the front panel, and 3 to be mounted high on the rear panel behind the monitor (lots of space back there and hot air rises.. I'm hoping for a reverse venturi type of effect)

3x140mm Demci filter for the front panel

Corsair K63 Keyboard

and various other bits and pieces.. power outlets etc.

The Sennheiser headphones/charging cradle, JVC car speakers, Lepy amp, etc. I've already spoken of. I'm going to re-use my existing 960 Pro and 2.5" HDD's, I see no reason to change. I am considering what to buy, if anything, to occupy the second M.2 slot on the Taichi though. I'm thinking a 2TB Sata.. maybe.

And my latest purchase.. arranged on the forum to pick up this behemoth on Thursday coming. Secondhand of course, but much more bang for similar bucks vs new.

I'm glad I allowed plenty of space !! I'm actually going to have to adjust the position of the motherboard tray to fit this thing in, as it is 310mm long, 133mm high, and takes up 3 slots. 1.6KG wow !!. Fortunately I have some wriggle room here and it will fit. Just.

Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56.

Much more grunt than I had originally planned, but overkill is always fun :D . One concern though is that this thing has 3 (!) 8 pin power plugs. Although my EVGA PSU actually has 4x8 pin cables, it's only 650W, which if I overclock, along with the 2700X, as I am bound to do, might be a bit borderline. I'll see how it goes, if a PSU upgrade is needed then I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

On the plus side, and a major plus it is for me.. when NOT overclocking, this thing should be whisper quiet, being a 3 fan card with such a massive cooler. One of the issues with a wooden case is that the wood can amplify noise.. sounds wrong but experience with many other wooden cases tells me it is so. The wood can also soak up a lot of heat, but the 6 140mm fans and excellent airflow I should achieve should cope with this easily.

I'm going to look into switching the BIOS to Vega 64 too, I've never done such a thing but I know its possible on at least some Vega 56 cards so worth looking into. That's almost certainly going to need a PSU upgrade though I'm guessing.

I'll have some more pix of the case in the next few days, I HOPE to have this build done and dusted in about 2 weeks.

16. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Check it out.. far out, brussels sprout. This thing is a behemoth.

[​IMG]

17. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

On further investigation, I may have to tweak the case to actually fit the bastard in after all. At minimum, I'll have to lose the centre intake fan, which shouldn't be dramatic considering the CPU fans on the big Dark Rock 4 cooler will also add to intake, or if that doesn't fly, I may have to add some thickness to the front panel, in which case I'll make allowances and keep the centre intake fan. All starts to get trial fitted later this week, so I'll know more for sure then.

I'm also looking at Vega 64 Bios and Powerplay tables.. which means the 650W PSU is no way going to cut the mustard, combined with the 2700X also overclocked. So much for not going overkill... :lol:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  18. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I was slightly mistaken about the GPU.. its not the Limited Edition, which has the 3x 8pin power connectors, its the 'normal' one which only has 2x 8pin. Slightly less LED bling, which is irrelevant to me, and the one less connector are pretty much the only difference though. Still the same massive heatsink.

I also have some extra PSU grunt now. With Corsair Link I can get power consumption reporting, which is nice :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Groff and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  19. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

good to see it moving along kev:)

Groff likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thanks Mick :)

I delayed further work on the case when I chose the GPU, since I figured I might need to tweak it a bit to make it fit. Now that I have it, I can proceed. All the other bits should arrive mid next week. I'm hoping to get some work done this weekend, altering the front of the case to suit the GPU and maybe even a bit of veneer :)

I'm thinking Jarrah at this point. It will clash with the decor, but I really like Jarrah...