The Ultimate AIO Case? Worklog.

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by Ratzz, Aug 8, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Some goodies arrived today..

[​IMG]

juzz86, mad_mic3, adamsleath and 2 others like this.
  2. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Nice progress mate :thumbup:

It'll fly with the new parts.

3. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I hope so :D

First boot.

Set CPU overclocking to manual, change frequency to 4000, lock voltage to 1.25v. No other changes.
    Set XMP on profile 1, @3600. No other changes.

Profile 2 is 4000, in time I'll see how close it can go, but in the meantime, 4000 on the CPU and 3600 on the RAM first boot is encouraging I guess.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    adamsleath likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

First run.

[​IMG]

Deano_20802 and mad_mic3 like this.
  5. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Looking good.Well done to date.:thumbup:

Wish I could make one with MDF. I have a huge allergy to MDF dust.
    Break out in a rash from head to foot.:thumbdn:

6. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

That sucks. MDF is so easy to work with.

The Vega is just too big. I love it, nice chunky cooler etc, but its way too long. It was going to require too much modding of the case, and make the case too deep for the desk.
    It was always gonna be overkill for my purposes anyway, so I've sold it.

I've bought a replacement though. Back to the RX 580 that I was originally planning. Another Sapphire Nitro+, just not as powerful.
    @$240 for an RMA replacement card, not a bad deal at all. THIS ONE... Thanks to Matthew kane for suggesting it, I don't often use ebay, it didn't even cross my mind. I was about to head down to Scorptec to buy the same card, but not the OC version that i've bought, for $319 when he suggested ebay.

@ 270mm long, its 40mm shorter than the Vega, and will fit nicely in the original case design, but still a nice chunky Nitro+ cooler so I'm OK with that. I never actually 'needed' the Vega really, its just overkill as most of the shit I buy is.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  7. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

That's frustrating mate, I love using the stuff :upset:.

Sounds like a decent solution for your needs :thumbup:

Ratzz likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Just had a fright, having posted the Vega to WA today, and still waiting on the 580 (expected delivery 9/4). Suddenly the graphics went haywire on the new rig. Like, oh fuck, I have been using this GT710 as a spare GPU since Moses was a boy, and the same day it becomes the only GPU I own, it dies... :confused: No onboard graphics on a 2700X... I'm screwed.

Grabbed the laptop and hooked it up to the monitor as a stopgap until I can pick up an el cheapo card tomorrow. Oh. Same problem.
    Scratch head and nuts for a minute. Go to shed and find another HDMI cable. Laptop works. Hook it up to main rig.. fixed.

Random shit.. HDMI cable just shit itself, while using the PC, without touching or moving anything. Never seen that happen before.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Deano_20802 likes this.
  9. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Yeah, APITB. Every time I work with it, big problems. I have a number of sheets of different thicknesses in my workshop.I take Zytec and Phenergan, but stlll break out. I have one of those expensive masks with the screw in filters. Trouble I have, because I have a beard, the mask is not effective.Pretty frustrating, that's for sure.
    As a last ditch effort, I am going to take everything outside the Workshop, and work in the open air. I mounted the 500mm sanding belt machine on top of a wheelie bin, so I can wheel outside and bring in.If that fails, it's all over Rover, doing anything with MDF.:)

Deano_20802 likes this.
  10. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

That bad hey. Solid plan there, hope it goes well!

I have to use a screw in filtered mask and I've gone to the length of taking the old pirate beard off to a clean No. 1 clipper every few days. I do all my work outside and even change and shower shortly after if I've been sanding or doing much work. It's not as bad as it sounds though, it's manageable for me and lets me use it for projects.

Luckily no issues with most real timber either.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm not done with this, in fact I've actually got a bit done. I've been a little distracted by other projects though, like a portable charging trolley for our cordless vacuum stick and separate hand held vac.
    The weather is crap too.
    I have however got a lot of intermediate stuff done, and I'm hoping to have a bit of a reveal in the next couple days, when I start reassembly after ironing on some veneer in awkward places.

I'm just posting today to talk about PSU's. I originally had a 650?W EVGA Bronze in this thing, but as I was at the time going with a heavily overclocked Vega 56, with power limits removed and a Vega 64 BIOS. I thought I might need more. I picked up a Corsair HX1000i here on the forum from mr626 for $140. Super happy with this purchase, and the guy is a gentleman. Recommended seller :thumbup:

I had a choice at that price from him either a HX1200 or a HX1000i. I chose the 1000i, for its Corsair Link basically, as I knew either PSU would have ample grunt.

So, this post is not actually about the PSU.. or at least mostly. Its about power consumption, and the need, or lack thereof, of very high output PSU's as was in vogue many times in the past. Something I've mentioned before, we never need as much PSU power as we actually we do.

I run Seti@Home, which when I allow it to, will MAX all 16 threads on my 2700X(@4.2GHZ), and MAX what is now an RX580 Sapphire Nitro+(@1575MHz), for basically 100% of the time when the PC is on, so about 16hrs daily. I'd had to get rid of the Vega (also purchased from mr626) as it turned out to be just a mickey hair too long to physically fit into the case, hence the RX580.

So, running 16 threads as hard as they can be run, and maxing out my GPU simultaneously.. I'm pulling 350W at the wall, which translates into 325W into the computer @ 93% efficiency, according to the Corsair Link software, which reads all of this stuff via a Micro B USB output.

Ok, there are hungrier CPU's out there, and certainly hungrier GPU's. but I find it interesting that I'm only pulling 350W from the wall. The PC is no slouch by any means, but the original 650W PSU would have handled it fine.

That's the bottom line I guess. We all tend to overcompensate when it comes to PSU's. Never substitute quality for quantity. As a bonus, although my RX580 is sitting currently on aboui 70°, the fan is barely running (Nitro+ heatsinks, love em) :thumbup: and the fan on the HX1000i is motionless. It doesn't actually kick in until power draw hits 500W, and that has never happened :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  12. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

looking forward to more progress when you get around to it:)

13. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

14. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

mad_mic3 , DSTM (Dougie) Yeah me too :lol: All kinds of things happening with this thing, and since I keep changing my mind, and fucking up routing some holes for USB hubs, it isn't worth posting anything until I actually have something to post,

Maybe someone can help me out here.. I'm including a pair of USB hubs, which have 3x 3.0 Type A and a single 3.0 Type C, each. The problem is that both of them have as inputs a short length of cable with Type C male connectors, I assume for use on laptops.

[​IMG]

I want to connect both of these hubs internally. I'm thinking PCIE. I have a standard 19pin 3.0 header, and a new fangled 3.1 header on the mobo,but this is not convenient as the connectors are on opposite sides of the board, too many bloody cables all over it if I go that way. I won't get 3.1 speeds anyway (I assume?) sine the hub is specced at 3.0 on all ports.

So I basically need, for better cable management, a PCIE card with a couple of internal 3.0 Type C female connectors in my dreamy little perfect world. My Googlefu has lost its mojo, I'm drawing a blank on this. One option is a PCIE card with dual 19 pin 3.0 females on it, and SATA power, adapters from that to my pair of male Type C's appear to be easy enough to find, but too many adapters is gonna piss me off.

Anyone know where I can get a PCIE card with 2 internal 3.0 Type C females on it?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  15. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

After multiple attempts at making what I want and either messing it up or changing my mind, I've made some changes.

My reasoning here, step by step.

Firstly, the base section below the monitor. I had planned on bringing the monitor all the way down to the deck section, but when I place a keyboard on that deck section, to watch a movie for instance, of course the keyboard obscures part of the screen.
    I've added a 20mm section below the monitor now, which is sufficient to solve this issue, and accordingly of course the main body of the case has needed to be made 20mm higher as well, which has already happened. Pix will come when it doesn't just look like a pile of MDF :D

I noticed whilst shopping in Safeway one day some Energizer branded USB Hubs, which I quite liked, so I bought a couple, as described in my previous post. They have a USB Tye C connector on the cable, and each hub has 3x 3.0 Type A and 1x USB 3.0 Type C.

Sadly, on my mobo, with the main IO/control panel on the left, this creates some issue with doing things nice and neat because the 19pin USB header is on the opposite, right, side of the mobo. The mobo also has a 3.1 header, which is conveniently on the left of the board.

My solution is a PCIE card with 2 USB 3.0 Type A ports on the rear (which I doubt I will ever have a use for) and a 19pin USB 3.0 header inboard. A much more convenient location. This has been purchased from Amazon AU and I await its arrival.

[​IMG]

However, I still need more adapting. I've also ordered a breakout which plugs into the 19pin port and turns it into a pair of USB 3.0 Type A sockets.

[​IMG]

Sadly I was unable to find a similar thing with Type C instead of Type A, but being 3.0 at the source, and still needing an extender anyway for each hub as the hard wired input cables on them are way too short, its not that big a deal. I'm solving that problem with a couple of Type A male to Type C female 300mm cables, which should provide a neat solution.
    I had no problem finding these cables.

[​IMG]

They'll then be running both hubs from the PCIE 19pin internal header, giving me a total of 6x USB 3.0 Type A sockets, and 2x USB 3.0 Type C sockets. I've cut the holes at an angle as you can see in the pix, just for aesthetics. I simply think it looks cool like that, rather than just a bunch of right angles.

It seems a shame to waste the onboard 3.1 header though. So of course, I have also ordered a cable which plugs into the 3.1 mobo header, and goes to a bulkhead style single Type C 3.1 socket.

[​IMG]

This gives me one faster 3.1 port, and many other 3.0 ports as well, all on the front of the case. More than I will ever need.

Of course, I still have the onboard 19 pin header empty. So I'll use it !!
    I actually have TWO of the breakout connectors on the way. I'll be using those extra two ports I've just described for my wireless keyboard and mouse :thumbup:.

Because the little LEPY amp is too deep to use directly in the 100mm depth available, I'm mounting that vertically to the crossbrace on which the monitor will be Vesa mounted. I'll just leave it turned on, with the tone set on passthrough, which disengages the bass and treble knobs, and I'll interrupt the power supply to the amp with a switch, which wil be on the main control panel. I'll also use an inline RCA attenuator to provide a remote volume control knob on the front panel. You've seen the attenuator in previous posts early in this thread.

The LED clock will be displaying 24/7, with an inline TP-Link Powerbank TL-PB10000 passthrough power bank for those occasions when Eva shuts everything off at the wall, which she is prone to do.

[​IMG]

The power bank, along with the amp and 4x 2.5" 3TB HDD's, will all be mounted on the crossbrace which forms the Vesa mount. I'll also have a couple of 140m bequiet 'Pure Wings fans' on the back, high up to keep airflow happening for all of these devices, and to vent any hot air which has risen from the case internals.

The LED's will actually be behind the veneer. I've bought some pretty bright LED's which shine through the veneer quite nicely, but are invisible when not active. Yes, I've tested to make sure the LED's are bright enough.

There will also be, not pictured here, a CLR CMOS button and a RESET button on the SIDE of the case, to the right of the monitor. Since the girls often jump on my machine when I'm not using it, I wanted to keep those buttons separate so they don't accidentally push them... ;)

Here's a quick view of the plan, this post will be edited to make it more coherent, with more photos, soon. The wood has been cut, holes have been made, and I just need to attach the panel to the upper front of the case so I can veneer over the joints and cut holes in the veneer to suit.

Front view

[​IMG]

Rear View

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    mad_mic3, Groff, juzz86 and 1 other person like this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

It turns out I'm an idiot. Of course everyone knew this :lol:

My memory had the mobo 19 pin USB 3.0 header as being on the right side of the board, and the 3.1 header on the left hand side of the board. I didn't double check..
    Both headers are on the front (as I look at it in the case) of the board.. the 19pin being only slightly further to the right than the 3.1 header. Both are fairly central, near the main X16 slot.
    Its not a major issue, in fact it might even be beneficial.

It will mean that both the keyboard and mouse receivers are only inches away from those peripherals (I had to use both dongles as although the mouse has a unifying receiver, the keyboard does not). At least there will no electronics between the receivers and peripherals though I guess., so they'll work very well.. the central fan will be well above them and apart from that there will only be a thin bit of MDF in the way.. remembering that those dongles will be in a 19pin<>2x USB3.0 adapter.

The 500mm 3.1 header<>USB C header is still close enough to the front panel to be located as planned, so the faster USB C port will still be fine, and the cable will not be obtrusive as it will basically run straight up the side of the GPU to the underside of the case deck, then across to its planned location. All will turn out fine, in fact perhaps better, but I'm still annoyed with myself for not actually checking. Dodged a bullet there.

All of the components in the previous post should arrive next week sometime, in fact its possible that some of them might arrive today if I'm lucky.

I know I keep promising pix of the further work I've done on the case, especially this front IO/switch panel, but Melbourne weather hasn't been kind this week and I have to work outside. I also had other shit to do yesterday. Yesterday actually wasn't a bad day, although ' 12°, feels like 7° ' isn't ideal. At least the rain was minimal. I'm working in the carport so as long as it isn't too windy then light rain is not an issue.

If I get a similar day today I may be able to add some finishing touches and present some cool pix. :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    mad_mic3, DSTM (Dougie) and Groff like this.
  17. Groff

Groff Member

I get annoyed when I double check and still get it wrong :upset:

mad_mic3 likes this.
  18. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey Kev, your no idiot:)

DSTM (Dougie) and Groff like this.
  19. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

No Idiot, that's for sure.No mod builder gets everything right the first time.
    I have started again 3 times on one build, because I didn't give a part clearance, or clean forgot to include something.We are only human.

juzz86, mad_mic3 and Ratzz like this.
  20. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Thought pics would be in OP - well here for the journey now.