The Uninviting *Tales of an Ugly Gaming PC*

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by StreekG, Oct 12, 2017.

1. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hi guys,

I have just started purchasing parts for my new LAN gaming PC. The name was a hard one, i basically just used 3 words that describe deceit/trickery and put them into one sentence.
    My main rig is just too big and chunky to cart around to events, also don't feel comfortable carting a custom loop around in my car

The idea: I have always liked the retro beige PCs people have built with modern high end hardware. I want to take this to the next level.
    Not only do i want the exterior to look nothing special and ordinary, but i want to do the same with the hardware, while retaining modern high end components. However i'm not a expert case modder so i will not be going too over the top. I'm thinking to do a case window showing off the incredibly ordinary and old looking equipment inside.
    The desired result is people looking at the computer wondering what the hell it is and why is it chomping out frame rates like a boss

Parts:
    Case: Supermicro DS3a, modern server case, top mounted PSU for old school appeal​
    [​IMG]

Motherboard:Supermicro X11SAE-M - Micro ATX, green motherboard. Supports 7th Gen Intel CPU, m.2 support and has one PCI-E 16x slot, enough for high end graphics cards and chomping frame rates
    [​IMG]

CPU: Probably a 7700K - Delidded. Decided to use an Intel TS15A Cooler, it's pretty beefy and gives it the old school look with a bit of beef.

Graphics: Looking at this stage for the GTX 1070 Katana Single slot card with PCB showing, or possibly a powerful Quadro for ugliness
    [​IMG]

Power Supply: Will use a Seasonic X-650 unit with a custom sticker made to look like an old underpowered PSU, get custom sleeving in PCB Green/Beige
    [​IMG]

Storage: M.2 Drive with an EK-m.2 silver heastink and SSD hidden somewhere

I have the basis for the build, and i am building upon it. Got a Geforce 8600 GS case sticker at home i might utilise...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    adz and schmoove like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So i got the case and motherboard this week and started work.

Straight away i replaced the 80mm rear exhaust fan with a 92mm Noctua Redux. The front panel has grills around it so i need to figure out how to mount some fans as intake. I will need to remove the drive cage to do it.
    [​IMG]

Here is the beefy looking Intel thermal solution, i understand they aren't that great but with a decent thermal paste it will be fine for what i need.
    [​IMG]

Yes that's coolant in the protein shaker, and no i'm not drinking it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    adz likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Got my CPU and RAM. Note the sticker for the case.

Chose the Geil black Dimms due to assisting with looking old.
    Can't wait to put the beefy Intel TS15A onto this.

[​IMG]

adz likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So here it is mocked up a little. I need to get a better PSU, and obviously the graphics card. I will need to jerry rig a front fan as an intake, there are vents but no mounting points for fans. I might be able to chuck 2 x 92mm fans there. The motherboard is great because it's completely modern, USB3.0, M.2 slot, so this will be exciting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

adz likes this.
  5. |einad

|einad Member

Love it for the ugly nostalgia but still powerful :)

6. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks, that's the idea! I might even utilise the red sata cables!

7. power

power Member

just don't use SATA 1 cables in your pursuit of fugliness.

8. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Well the Supermicro board i'm using came with red sata cables so i assume they are the correct ones as it comes with SATA 3 ports.

9. asho444

asho444 Member

If only it had Pata so you could throw an OLD dvd rom drive in
    Edit: i think i have some Razer stickers somewhere i could post, everyone knows they make your PC faster

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  10. power

power Member

it's cute that you assume Supermicro are somehow competant. As long as they are S2 they should do the job.

Oh yeah PATA for the best look though, mmmm airflow blocked.

Empty a bag out of the vacuum into it as well so it "looks" mega dusty.

11. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Yeah, if they still somehow used PATA still, would be awesome. But not believable if you saw it sitting there chomping out FPS at a lan on modern titles.

Haha well i've never bought Supermicro equipment before. So far have had no bad impressions on the case and motherboard. Although i did notice the rear I/O plate has extra metal pieces which i pushed out and realised that the motherboard didn't have all the same ones. So now i have 2 extra VGA holes on the rear i/o for dust to get in.

12. power

power Member

oh extra holes - perfect. No i/o for the true ghetto look. Also no side panels ftw. Punch out a random 5 1/4" bay cover too so it looks like it used to have an optical drive or get an old pata one and don't plug it in. Preferably a different colour.

13. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

I have a beige 3.5" floppy drive here, and the case has a slot for that. Unfortunately i cannot find any 5 1/4" drives, that would be perfect, at least not in black.

My other idea is to get a Turbo GTX 1070 and get the shroud painted or vinyled wrapped like an old sapphire GPU with a girl on it or something

14. power

power Member

if you find a black drive remove the faceplate :) BODGY

15. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

16. power

power Member

shame you can't just use a sticker of say Nalu

or Dawn

17. Wet Sandwich

Wet Sandwich Member

That sure does look sickening! :cool:

18. Spork!

Spork! Member

19. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

It won't be easy because i can find pictures of the boxes but i would need a decent file of the actual image they put on the box.

Why thank you :)

Yeah it will need one for sure, i don't plan to skimp here.

20. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So i was doing some planning for the holidays and realised that my budget is tighter than i thought initially. I want this computer to be operational for the holidays so i can LAN with friends as my main rig is too big and bulky to transport while watercooled.

So with 1440p gaming in mind, and happy to accept a slight reduction in graphics settings depending on the title. I went with a GTX 1060 Turbo edition from Asus. This will allow me to afford a decent m.2 nvme drive and SSD for storage, along with some good peripherals.

My bad with the asus logo, its backlit and interchangeable with whatever you can get made up i guess, so i removed it to check out how it worked, then put it on backwards somehow and realised after i uploaded the photo.... Lucky it just comes off.

[​IMG]

I decided to try the card out in my main rig, i ripped out the 980ti, ran DDU and installed the 1060 on PUBG and DOOM

I always wanted to finish DOOM so i made use of a few hours on saturday. Ran the game at Ultra settings, 1440p on OpenGL (not Vulkan) Experience was very good, i was averaging about 90-100 FPS. The game is super optmised though.

PUBG i could run at Ultra but at 30-40 FPS. Setting it to High allowed 60FPS pretty consistently. I was more than happy with this. Hopefully the console release of PUBG means we might get some extra optimization patches before christmas.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017