The Uninviting *Tales of an Ugly Gaming PC*

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by StreekG, Oct 12, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Last nights effort, installed a 140mm redux fan to my fan bracket, then glued it down. I tried my luck at drilling a couple of mounting holes to the case lined up with the bracket but without a decent thread, it wasn't a tight fit, i have covered said holes up, embarrassed at my failed effort, haha. Ideally i would've liked to have the fan sitting a bit higher, but i didn't have anything i could use as a pedestal, nor the resources to make something. At least i have some air intake now. I don't think it will get too hot in this case with the delidded non-K CPU and blower style graphics card.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  2. MrCupHolder

MrCupHolder Member

Ah yeah, good point.

Heat rises, hadn't considered how that would affect things.

3. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

if you want a 5.25" drive you are welcome to something out of my old shoebox. i probably have time to drop it round this arvo.

https://i.imgur.com/bd7ElBw.jpg

none are SATA. dark drive in the middle is actually not black but a dark grey. drive on left has a clear blue drive cover.

4. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

How cool! I'm just not sure if putting a 5.25 floppy is too much... I tried a black lite-on DVD drive here which kinda works

5. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Man this looks amazing!

What's it set you back for it all so far?

6. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks mate, appreciate it :)

So far i'm up to $1550 exactly. Supermicro motherboard wasn't very cheap, was $340 and the 7700 along with GTX 1060 make the bulk of it.

All i need left is an NVMe M.2 drive, probably a storage SSD. Still waiting on word about my PSU and then i need Windows. So this will be a 2K PC.
    I don't have a monitor also, but i could always used my 27" ROG Swift G-Sync from my main PC

7. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

So i tried to get a hold of the Seasonic SS-600es power supply. 600w 80 PLUS rating with rear 80mm fan. Unfortunately they have to be purchased in bulk of 1000 at a time from the distributor. So if i really want the OEM look. I have to either use the Seasonic 450W unit linked below, thanks asho444. PLE sell this model in stock so i can easily get it, the problem is, if i want to upgrade GPU later. I need a new power supply.

Option 2: I can use the Inwin Powerman 600. I have no idea what this would be like
    https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Power-Supplies/ATX/69172-IP-P600FQ3-2T

Option 3: Screw it and just buy a Corsair RM650x

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 5:51 PM
  8. asho444

asho444 Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 10:33 PM
  9. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks mate, i ended up buying one from Italy brand new. It has 100-240VAC switch so that should be fine.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seasoni...474149?hash=item5b413bfc25:g:hEQAAOSwnTdaHwXf

However the lead time for delivery means i will just buy a $50 OEM from Scorptec or PLE, which will get me by

10. AntikytheraBB

AntikytheraBB Member

your commitment to this build is wonderful.

have you considered ways to make Win 10 ugly? I went looking to see if there was a Windows 3.1 theme. Couldnt find one with a quick search but apparently there are plenty of Win 95/98 and XP themes for Win 10. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/641188/how-to-make-windows-10-look-like-windows-95/

will you be painting the case beige? outside only of course, that bare metal interior is priceless.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 6:16 PM
  11. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks mate :) That's a great idea, thanks for linking it! I will be sure to give it a try! Although i can't really get away with having shoddy looking monitors. So i will just use my Asus ROG Swift from the main rig.

I have had to buy a temporary PSU because i want to actually use this PC for an upcoming LAN at a friends house, so i managed to find a brand new Antec OEM unit with rear fan for $45 at Scorptec
    [​IMG]

Today i also picked up an M.2 drive for her, went for 512GB so i can store some games on it, i will avoid having any other storage drives if i can.
    [​IMG]

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Ok, this idea is absolutely critical for your PC mod;

1. Track down an old serial port portable ZIP drive & disk
    2. Get some double sided tape and stick the portable ZIP drive to the top of the tower, and stick the disk to the top too.
    3. Write BACKUPS 1997 on the zip disk, then cross it out and write DUKE NUKE'M 3D below the crossed out note.

13. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Ahaha that's excellent, getting a zip drive isn't cheap though! They are sellign them for big bucks, the external ones.

So i got the PC running!

It took a little mucking around to install windows as i'm not familiar with the BIOS Supermicro uses. But once i enabled UEFI support for the M.2 slot, the windows install off the USB was easy! Although i still cannot get the Noctua fans to work with PWM controls. They are PWM fans, however after setting up Speedfan, i can only control the CPU cooler fan speed, my god it gets loud at full load! I might do a bit of hacking up of the front mesh panel, which wasn't designed for a fan at all, hopefully that might improve intake a bit through the gaps in the front panel

Due to this case not having great airflow, and at the risk of losing some of the old school look, i added a heatsink to the m.2 drive, it would've looked fine if not for the EK logo on it. Click on the photos to enlarge :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ae00711

ae00711 Member

lul wuh?
    links to proof please