The Vodka thread

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by CM96, May 26, 2013.

1. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

Nothing wrong with Vodka O, apart that it is not a vodka. It is a neutral white spirit from whey - what is left over from making cheese. A proper vodka needs to be made from grains or potato, but the Vodka O product is fine to drink. I just don't know what you call it.

By the same mark, Ciroc is also not a vodka. It is a clear brandy.

I love my Polish bottle too but Belvedere is not that great for the price. It's decent, but has a sharpness to it which I do not like, before I get to that 'over ethanol' characteristic that so many of these 'expensive' vodkas have.

Grabbed two bottles of Zytnia Extra from Uncle Dans last Friday night. Still $33.99 a bottle, still 40% ABV unlike most others that have dropped to 37.5% or 38%. It's Rye based and very, very nice. If you have not had a Polish Rye, then try it. Equally happy neat or mixed, it's a good all-round bottle.

Had a nice discussion with a guy at my local Dan's, he hadn't tried the Zytnia but he was going to take a bottle of that instead of Finlandia when he goes camping with mates in a week or two's time. He will be pleased with it, of that I am sure.

I have also purchased a fair amount of the Tovaritch! vodka lately. Again, very cheap at under $30 per bottle, is smooth and no 'nail varnish' elements that these cheap-ass vodkas can have. I did try shots of it but it only has a passing grade for my tastes so it is usually my mixer. Only problem is that the bottle is extremely tall so hard to fit in the freezer, and it also tends to leak from the cap if you lay it down.

That said, if your idea of buying vodka is a 700ml Smirnoff Red, grab the Tovaritch and you will never look back.

I also note that Absolute Elyx is on special at First Choice for $45 per bottle. Screaming good value that, it's $49 at Dans and everywhere else charges $65. It is damn good stuff, if you haven't tried it neat and just above freezing then you need to try it.

2. The Balvenie

The Balvenie Member

Been wanting to try Elyx since you mentioned it a while back. My local First Choice didn't even stock Elyx thankfully boozle came to my aid and Vintage Cellars had it for the same price of $45.

It is a very nice and I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm usually a whisky drinker but this is so nice. I only have another vodka bottle of Wyborowa to compare with but I'm very happy with Elyx, I could had more maybe I'll get another bottle for summer.

Not that it matters but the bottle is kinda nice looking too like the Hibiki whisky bottle and you can use it for something else (not sure what tho).

3. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

It's killing everything over the $45 mark in my opinion. There is not much point in grabbing anything else.

I would definitely grab a bottle of Luksusowa and try that. Wyborowa is nice but I prefer either Luks or Extra Zytnia.

Bottle cutter, turn into a vase.

4. FFC

FFC Member

A friend gave me a sample of TAG No.5 Frosted Maple Vodka the other week.

Served simply with an ice cube. Ridiculously smooth, slightest vodka "taste" to it. I could have emptied the bottle instantly it was that delicious.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  5. omghi

omghi Member

Vodka O is awesome for infusing flavours into yourself at home. It is reasonably smooth, completely neutral and nicely priced.

I'm going to make a mulberry and juniper infused fake gin once the local mulberry tree has enough ripe fruit :thumbup:

6. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Unfortunately, I can't agree with you on the Tovaritch! :(
    Missus and I bought a bottle over the weekend and even as a mixer, it still had a strong unpleasant aftertaste.
    Much prefer Zytnia or Finlandia for cheaps. If memory serves, I think even Russian Standard and Karavan were smoother (only just, and as mixers) than the Tovaritch!
    Luksusowa as the next step up in price.

7. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Had a few bottles of this whilst in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, was the 'standard' vodka a few friends drank. I don't remember it overly expensive either. Very smooth, but I've only ever drank mixed vodka (Smirnoff, Absolut etc).

Brought one back with me, but hesitant to drink too much of it as doubt I'll be able to get it here :(

[​IMG]

Mind you, also grabbed a bottle of Belvedere and Grey Goose whilst coming through duty free on previous trips...

EDIT: Having said that, actually doing some searching...

8. fox1

fox1 Member

Can't believe I stumbled across this thread.

I picked up a bottle of Wyborowa last week, after having great wodka while in Poland. Had a small taste when I got home and it smelt like lighter fluid and burnt my lips.

Saw this thread and saw the comments about Wyborowa and I'm thinking... wtf. So I try it again tonight. It's completely changed, its now a smooth, slightly fruity smell. Thrown it in some ice and its pretty nice.

Bizarre.

9. zed_kid

zed_kid Member

green label special vodka.

looks legit ruski stuff :thumbup:

10. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

This has just gone live: https://ozcrowd.com/campaigns/dotau/

A Bottle of the vodka and a bottle of their vodka-based liqueur for $50 - limited to 1000 backers. $55 thereafter.

Great value as the bottle of Vodka alone goes for $70+ generally. And yes, it is distilled from sugarcane so its technically a rum.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  11. c.f4

c.f4 Member

Belvedere.

Nothing else touches the sides as smoothly as this.

Grey Goose is over rated. Rough after taste. Can only drink it neat after Ive had a few.

12. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Seeing as nobody has touched this thread recently and vodka is one of the few spirits I find I can reliably drink with whatever stupid allergy I have, thought I'd bump it up.

Finlandia I think is still the best budget buy out there.

I've had a couple of bottles of that Dutch Vox stuff, has more to it than the Finlandia and for me, neat, I prefer it.

Now to keep trying others, haven't had a 42 below in ages so I am keen to give it a whirl.

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

Giving this a bit of a bump as I got to try the newly minted world's best vodka. I'm totally not a vodka drinker but this stuff was great, really nice flavour to it.

The guy who makes it was selling it at a cheese event (since it's made from sheeps whey) and said he wouldn't be putting up the price at all in response. On the other hand, it'll sell out quickly (and was already pretty pricey at $90 a bottle, I was tempted but had already spent $100 on cheese that day...)

14. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Damn you, just bought a bottle... and a bottle of their Gin.

15. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

The cheese is good as is there sausages. They waste nothing.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Had a couple of vodka and orange drinks over the Chrissy break....I think perhaps this has overtaken my favourite drink now from G and T and Jim Beam and orange.

17. josh1990

josh1990 Member

Love me some Tito's. Discovered it in Vegas on our honeymoon. Brought 6 bottles back. Get another 3 every 6 months when mother goes over or her partner comes over. No way I'd pay DM prices for it though.

18. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

I'm still yet to get back into Vodka... I used to see it as an '18 year olds drink' cause I got wasted on it for my 18th. Never really tried it after that. Think I might need to.

19. clonex

clonex Member

i stopped drinking it at 18, smashed a bottle of Finlandia in 45 mins on nye.

nek minut had a flashing comp with the girls next door on the balcony, after that dont remember much other than someone coming out on the balcony to check my pulse regularly throughout the night.

18yrs later and still struggle drinking vodka, need to mix the shit out of it to be able to drink it and ive bought the Mrs a few different bottles over the year.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Madengineer and firey4059 like this.