The Witcher 2: Assassins Of Kings

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Sep 18, 2009.

1. steffan72

steffan72 Member

thinkin it might be time to give this another go......been a while since i played it

2. hvalac

hvalac Member

3. boron boy

boron boy Member

To be fair, I do agree with some of the points made in that article. I don't think it's overly complex, but the game doesn't do a very good job explaining its mechanics, you have to learn by trial and error. The tutorial is awkward, it pauses the game to explain the mechanic A, and then you only get to practice it once (literally for 1 second) before it pauses the game and moves on to mechanic B. Still I am looking forward to dark souls PC, so I guess I should shut my mouth :p

I'm playing on dark difficulty as a newb, do you think I should spend a bit of time playing around in the arena mode to learn the ropes and help choose which talents to pick etc? It's pretty hard to choose just based on the descriptions, and in the normal campaign I've already chosen a useless one.

Speaking of learning stuff, is there a way to view the combat log in long form, after it has disappeared?

4. kreegor

kreegor Member

Check out the game manual :)

5. jET_M@X

jET_M@X Member

Seen a lot of idiotic things but someone complaining
    about too much choice...wow just wow.
    Sorry chief this isn't the ME version of RPG with a press 1 button to win scenario. Having read his review on ME3, this guy should have a profile pic of himself with blinders on or double eyepatches... biased is too blase for him.

6. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

Well since I have overclocked a little http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=14339888
    I might see how this game goes in the near future. Only wanting to run it at 1680x1050

7. boron boy

boron boy Member

Taking your advice. Here's a vital tidbit I either missed or forgot:

It didn't have any info about viewing the combat log in long form after it disappears though. It vanishes so quickly and you can't afford to look at it while the fight is going.

8. boron boy

boron boy Member

I can't believe it took me so long to find the "store items" stash chest in flotsam. Had to ditch a lot of good crafting items, if only I had known about it sooner.

Now I have moved on from Flotsam to the next part of the game and left good stuff behind in that chest... can I go back to visit flotsam at some point? I also had a few loose ends and quests there.

9. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

I thought the item store carried over from chapter to chapter.

I also just installed a mod to remove the weight limit on crafting items.

10. steffan72

steffan72 Member

Where in Flotsam is it.as i have only just started the game again

11. boron boy

boron boy Member

It downstairs in the inn, the fist fighting room.

Oh cool, but can I still go back to flotsam at some point? I'm playing in dark mode and I didn't buy the blasphemer diagrams from the dwarven smith there.

Edit: Never mind, just googled it (well duckduckgoed it), apparently
    once you leave flotsam you can't go back

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. Bertross

Bertross Member

hehehe i stumbled across it 2 days ago myself.

13. Raolin

Raolin Member

Yep, those storage chests sure come in handy for stockpiling crafting components. There's one in each chapter - usually at an inn or some such.

Ok, turns out a mod was overwriting the list of schematics. Got rid of that quick smart - annoyed now that I had to re-buy those diagrams. So expensive in Chapter 1 - especially with all the leather & oil you need to buy to make them.

Did manage to complete the set eventually - how annoying is the visual effect when you pull one of the swords though? If it's at night you may as well be fighting totally blind.

14. boron boy

boron boy Member

There's a mod to remove it.

15. steelbom

steelbom Member

You can access your stuff via other chests in the games. I don't remember on Roche's path, but on Iorveth's there's a chest in your room in Vergen, and you can access it via the Innkeeper as well.

16. Raolin

Raolin Member

Yeah, I had a look at that, but it also removes the combat modifiers the swords give you. Will probably try it out and see how it goes - in daylight the effect isn't such a bother.

17. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Finished my second playthrough... that was a vastly different ending than I saw last time.

In some respects, this game is too freaking long... I want to see all potential 16 endings (based on the major decisions required during the game, more info here*Contains Spoilers*)... My next playthrough I might have to take careful note during my choices and create a save game just before each major choice so I can see them all without having to play from the start.

18. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

You could always Youtube them, it'll save 16 play throughs :/

19. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Ideally I'd love to work out how to play the .usm files in the install directory.

I tried looking for the endings on youtube but I don't think they're all there, and for the most part it just seems to show the final showdown which is identical in all playthroughs, it's the video's before the credits roll that I want to see.

Also, does the scene after the credits change? I swear in one of the trailers for the enhanced edition it looked like Geralt in that scene.

20. kreegor

kreegor Member

This is pretty cool.