1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Thermal Controlled Fan - 3d Printer Cabinet

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Dr1fty, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

Hi all,

Problem: 3d Printer in cabinet, not wanting electrics to get too hot.

Solution: Would like to have a fan on the side/back of the cabinet to turn on at X temp and pump air into it until it reaches X Temp. Not wanting to blow directly onto the print, fan would be small (40mm) and up top in a corner. While this is now pushing the hot air around, thus making it actually a little hotter down low, it would still pressurize the cabinet and force air out, replacing it with cooler air. Until the temperature drops to X then shuts off again.

Anyone care to give suggestions on how to achieve this ? I have a powerboard mounted on the back wall of the cabinet (inside) and plenty of room behind the printer (150mm approx)

Cheers
    :)

2. mtma

mtma Member

Those panel style temperature controller kits would do the trick for on/off control.

Otherwise it depends on what you have kicking about. A comparator based controller only requires a temp probe, some resistors and something to act as the comparators, however a programmable one would be less finicky in relation to setting values. The pi pico is the new hotness so maybe one of those :lol:, completely overpowered but.

tumutbound likes this.
  3. m3k

m3k Member

can be done with arduino nano and pwm and mosfet and thermistor with some copy pasta code - u can even make the fan ramp up as the demand is needed vs just turning off and on

4. OP
    OP
    Dr1fty

Dr1fty Member

Did some late night googling and I think I found my solution.

Ordered one of these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313397788614
    Picked up a 40mm Sunon Maglev 12v fan and grill.
    I have an old PSU which puts out 14v, 4ah... So plenty of grunt..

Now, the push/pull air flow selection process.. With PC's I'm a positive case pressure kind of guy (helps keep dust out sorta imo) however, I think with this it might actually be better to have negative case pressure...

Case: 3mm ACM with a 3mm clear poly door with magnetic sticky shit to hold it shut. 550w x 750d x 700h. (leaks all around door pretty much).. 3mm wide x 300mm long slit cut in top of cabinet above extruder for filament guide slot. Sits on a sturdy table of ALU base and 20mm Acrylic top. (trying to make it somewhat fire proof as well).. Limited gaps under edge of cabinet.

Option 1: Put the fan at the top/back venting outwards. Sensor down low, near the electric's etc (below heated bed level).. This would cause less turbulence in the case I feel as it would just feed in from the gaps around the door and base of cabinet. (Plus the 300mm long slit (3mm wide) for the filament guide hole.. I wonder if it would just suck most of it's air in from that 300mm slot though ??

Option 2: Mount the fan down low, near the vents in the electrics box (it's all mounted under the printer), but I wonder if it would help, or just cause more grief with cooling the bed down too much, or the print. Trying to avoid too much turbulence inside to reduce shrinkage etc and inevitable failure.

Click to view full size!

I'm leaning towards Option 1 so far..

Got any other ideas anyone ?

Cheers
    :)