1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Thermal Pads "glueing" on to components

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by ipv6ready, Dec 8, 2023.

1. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

HI all, I am using cheap aliexpress thermal pads on NVME. As I didnt think using $30 strip of thermal pads on nvme was warranted.

I have bought 0.5mm, 1mm. 1.5mm and 2mm from different sellers, and something i noticed is that they all seem to glue themself on to the heatsink.

Even the included sabrent/wavlink/orico thermal pads in nvme enclouses seems to "thermal glue" themself on the heatsink and nvme too.

I can get it off, but it is little nerve wrecking on $400 plus nvmes.

Is this normal behaviour of thermal pads cheap or expensive, or just the cheap ones that are like this.

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Yeah they do stick.

ipv6ready likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

In that case Ill just stick with the cheap ones, but I might put on a thin layer of non conductive thermal paste to see if that works.

4. rthy

rthy Member

thermal conductivity won't be as good?

ipv6ready likes this.
  5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Putting thin layer of thermal paste will yield nothing but you wasting thermal paste and potentially making thermal transfer worse.

Edit: yield not wield

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    l_ QuadX_l and ipv6ready like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Thermal paste, I am using the cheap stuff for this.

Also I forgot to mention this is inside nvme enclosures, some idles at 45c when files are open in it.

I might have to look at enclosure design more than thermal pads and heatsink combo encased in metal or plastic case.

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Both the posters above are right mate - the thermal pad/drive interface will perform better than the paste/pad/drive interface - the addition of paste doesn't assist, it actually detracts from transfer efficiency in the presence of a different thermal interface (in your case, the pad). If you know this and are just doing it for giggles go for your life, but worth noting that temps will likely be higher than if you'd just used the pad :thumbup:

ipv6ready likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Nah its more to stop the thermal pad sticking/glueing to the heatsink, in the nvme enclosures
    Secondary is heat.

juzz86 likes this.
  9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Sometimes less is more. This means adding that extra layer of paste as prevention for the thermal pad sticking can cause issues with heat transfer. If you're worried about the thermal pad ruining the m.2 nvme drive, buy a better quality thermal pad that doesn't turn to thermal goop during usage.

10. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

That was the whole point of asking :)

There was one answer that stated, it expensive or not it turns into thermal glue

11. mtma

mtma Member

If you've got the right ones, they only have a very light tack and end up 'vacuum stuck' onto the things they're attached to, but should cleanly release if you slowly break the vacuum/tack from the edges (well, if they've degraded they could break up into chunks/goo).

There are also dual phase (wax) pads that re-melt themselves but I think most of the aliexpress ones claim to be some kind of silicone based pad. The dual phase pads will get themselves well stuck to components and be really difficult to deal with afterwards.

ipv6ready likes this.
  12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I might want to also add if you're planning to get other thermal pads some of the cheapy ones do ooze thermal pad oil over time. This can be a major PITA to clean off the cramped up and smaller surface mount parts on the nvme drives.