Thermal Paste from Jaycar?

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by the_antipop, Oct 19, 2020.

1. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I used Jaycar thermal paste on a failing Macbook Pro (fan died, got crazy hot and cooked the thermal paste, needed a complete tear down, clean up, new thermal paste, fan replaced).

Worked fine. I think the fanaticism over brands gets a bit silly sometimes, IMHO.

the Fan-Man likes this.
  4. power

power Member

completely fine, thermal compound has one job to fill that little bit of air between mating surfaces. most people use too much so they need "high end" stuff that actually conducts a fair amount of heat.

lithos likes this.
  5. lithos

lithos Member

I'm running their store-brand Arctic Silver right now: https://www.jaycar.com.au/heatsink-compound-25-silver-1-5g/p/NM2013

It's fine. It's conductivity's just as good, if not better, than a lot of the fancy stuff from a PC parts maker. As power said, people use way too much heat goop so they need shit that conducts like a raw copper slug.

6. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I don't like there silver compound, it's too glittery and very hard to clean off without leaving a serious amount of silver coated mess (cleaning via IPA).

The biggest issue with generic paste is the consistency of the goop and how long they've been on shelf for. They run into the issue of being almost like water or the liquid element inside has separated a bit from the paste mixture itself.

the_antipop likes this.