1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Thermal Paste

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Will S, May 25, 2022.

1. Will S

Will S Member

2. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

I used coolermaster mastergel maker in my PC. Worked great. Consistently tests as one of the top tier thermal pastes. Was at least as good as Kryonaut.

It's on amazon here and available for next day delivery.

3. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

macktheknife likes this.
  4. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I use the paste that came with my Scythe Mugen. Before that some EK stuff that came with some other cooler. I mean if good stuff costs $15 it's worth a go but there is usually only a few degrees between quite decent and the best pastes.

5. groovetek

groovetek Member

In the last 2 years I've used so many thermal pastes directly comparing cooling on my aircooled RTX 3080 and my 11900K + AIO.

Overall, Arctic MX-5 is great all-rounder, and well-priced. Very easy to apply and relatively easy to clean off. Squashes/spreads very well, and works well whether the gaps are small or large.

Best performance I've had is Prolimatech PK3 Nano Aluminium, while still being easy to apply. I love this paste, and it can be well priced in larger tubes (if you're someone who uses it frequently) - I last paid $52 for a 30g tube.

Kryonaut performs the same, or close enough that it doesn't matter. Problem with Kryonaut is if you use alot of thermal paste, the extra cost becomes noticeable.

Close behind in performance has been Thermalright TFX and SYY-157.

A whole bunch of other ones not far behind that again including Thermalright TF8 (well priced), Noctua NT-H2, and Arctic MX5.

Finally, I have a jar of GD900 which is good for anything where you just need it to work and work relatively well.

I had some older Coolermaster ones and they weren't very good, but haven't tried any of the Master Gel ones.

6. rthy

rthy Member

+1 for mastergel
    bought cos it was cheap, but i guess anything is better than 4yo thermal cake

7. storm-chaser

storm-chaser Member

I would go with liquid metal

8. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

well its been delivered today ...mastergel

Hi W,
    Your package with Cooler Master MasterGel... will be delivered today.

Now going to take this PC off line and remove the cpu ......maybe this time it wont pull both the cooler and cpu out together ( the latch is pretty pathetic )

macktheknife likes this.
  9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

You won't get it much cooler with a repaste, that's just ryzen being ryzen. The 5800x was already their hottest/most dense package and the x3d has taken it further.

storm-chaser and Elmf like this.
  10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

11. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

Just did a prime and kept open hwinfo and it was over 90 degrees after 4 mins

and the ambient temp was 16C so with kraken 360 aio even with Ryzen it seems a bit on the warm side

Not looking for much, maybe 2 - 3 degrees so it stays around 88 max

And if I didnt do it I would be always wondering should I have done it ....and with a seperate aio instead of a full water loop its easy to slip slop slap

and had the nearly empty bottle of iso pro to get rid off

12. t8y

t8y Member

posting as reminder to run some tests and actually monitor temps for once tonight on my X3D - i have a dark rock pro4 aircooler but ballpark

pastes wise,
    work uses that coolermaster stuff, cheap, goes on easy, wipes off easy, doesnt stain the fingers like some do (mostly just wipes off).
    at home i've been using thermal grizzly. only note i have is its harder to clean it off your fingers lol
    when its for quick testing at home or something less fancy, i have a jumbo tube of arctic cermaic white goo, cheap bulk shite does fine.
    also OK under cold, that stuff

temps wise, meh, they're all same same, you'd probably get more variance from different application methods than different pastes

13. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

If you give it more thermal headroom it will just boost harder and eat that up until the algorithm hits its next defined limit - Power package, voltage, frequency limit etc. Unless it is throttling it is fine and not in any danger. It's how Zen 3 works and why we have 10,000 reddit threads of people complaining about their temps on high end coolers.

Prime95 is also a brutal workload you will struggle to replicate in any other task you'll actually be using the CPU for.

t8y likes this.
  14. Elmf

Elmf Member

What's the airflow like in your case though?

15. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

I have the back fan sucking in so the aio has fresh air to love....also have at bottom under flt240 another fan sucking in , also have the bottom 360 rad ( using just for the gpu ) with 3 fans sucking in ...so basically 5 fans in and 3 fans out

16. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

I know that but a 360 aio should be cooler , as for eddit....dont read it

and will be setting up that fan control app ( the one jay2 cents raved about )

and finally when everything is smooth I will remove the aio and add the full loop ...well maybe if I can find that bloody spring for my cpu cooler

edit: still hit 90 but didnt go red for core temps and took longer to get there ...so many temps for cpu. But usually why I am doing stuff like typing this it sits around 33C but now is 28C

when you think about it..NZXT wouldnt put shit paste on there AIO's as they want the best results but I had smudged a biit of it when the bloody plastic cover fell off

edit: ok, after about 30 mins of iRacing I had these results and am curious as to what all the different CPU temps mean ? I just have the core showing in my taskbar ( along with liquid and GPU )

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  17. Elmf

Elmf Member

I'll be honest I don't get the explanation on the airflow. Take a pic and mark up in paint?

18. t8y

t8y Member

Elmf likes this.
  19. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I usually just go by the Tctl reported temp, but you can use CCD tdie as well. L3 is presumably cache and IOD is the i/o die, neither are hot enough to need to monitor.

20. OP
    OP
    Will S

Will S Member

just for curiosity sakes, what does Windows base its "throttling " point on ?

[​IMG]

Elmf likes this.