Thermomix - any good?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by LARRY314, Jun 15, 2010.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Oh ok....I don't find them particularly funny to be honest. Couple of funny bits here and there but meh.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just talked to the woman next to me, she has one, paying it off monthly or something. She absolutely loves it and says it does everything you ever need in the kitchen.

She's going to cook me something in it this weekend and bring it in monday morning :lol:

People love their themomixes......it's like some sort of religion.

3. Andyj965

Andyj965 Member

We have one. It is overpriced but still an awesome machine. I like the fact it encourages you to use base ingredients to make sauces, stocks and pastes (among other things). I found that we were eating healthier and with significantly more variety. The consistency you get from it being so precise is great. Every Risotto turns out spot on. Even though it is a bit overpriced i'd still buy another one.

4. danyell

danyell Member

It strikes me that whilst the product is good, the evangelists come out because after all, they spent considerable coin to buy in the first place. Reinforcing the purchasing decision by endeavoring to use it to full advantage to justify expense.

Mortar and pestle, quality cookware, old fashioned techniques for me.

But then, I can't afford or justify the expenditure to join the revolution, but still eat well and healthily. Its all choices, experience, skill and quality of ingredients for the same or better outcomes.

5. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

It better be good. I just bought one for the missus. To me it looks like a food processor/blender, but i don't do any fancy cooking so wouldn't know.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow, what a nice partner you are to be getting her a pressie like that :wired:

It was described to me today how it works and how it guides you through the ingredients process for making particular things. Sounds a bit nanny like, and doesn't involve much cooking skills, if any, but seems quite impressive.

Having said that this person stuffed up one of the recipes she tried....heh

7. bigheadache

bigheadache Member

I'm a believer in happy wife happy life

8. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I dont own one, just use family's but I wouldnt buy the new model as I dont think it will last. Seriously a touch screen/menu cards on a kitchen appliance is asking for trouble. Also a recipe is just a guide, stuff following it to the letter/gram. Were is the fun in that?

9. Hetty

Hetty Member

I've got the old one, but I love the idea of the touch screen. There's more to go wrong of course, and I think there will be loads of problems but after those are ironed out and improvements are made I think it'll be awesome. In saying that, I won't upgrade... not for a long time anyway.

10. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I know I can be a bit rough in the kitchen and like the simplicity of the TM31 compared to the new. Mind you the noise of the beast shits me. As a rice cooker is it a pain to clean the basket.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

the problem is that I've found it's usually the same kind of people who are religious about their magic bullets.

Like cooking rice, I've never actually messed it up cooking it in a pot (follow the directions on amount of rice and water) so why are rice cookers so popular? :confused: I know zojirushi make the worlds most awesome fluffy rice, but adding it as a feature to anything else seems a waste of time.

12. clonex

clonex Member

What did people do in the ol' days? Bloody expensive for conveniance if you ask me

13. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Evangelists, they're called, and they are filled with righteous power, and in their mind quite rightly so, for if everyone thought the way they do then the world will unite in harmony and sing Hosanna!

I pour scorn on iPhone and iMac addicts but will willingly bore NutriBullet sceptics at every opportunity. People are wired that way, you included.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think this is the only one of these type of things she owns. Quite a sensible person, just loves her Thermomix.

15. 3stars

3stars Member

So you own no enthusiast grade equipment at all:rolleyes:

16. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Au contraire, mon ami, my Nutribullet would like to disagree with you :D

As would my Anova, my Cook4Me, my Ginsu knives, my Oculus DK2, my Wacom Intuos Pro, my GTX980SLI . . .

17. newynut

newynut Member

They are very good for caravans.

18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Got my cookies :D

Bloke at work overheard us talking Thermomix's and he says his wife bought one two years ago now without his permission....lol

But they are both happy with it....her more so than him though.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

20. Hetty

Hetty Member

How does she not like the mashed potato? It makes better mash than most restaurants.

I don't cook all my meals in it either. I do chop up most things in it though. Some things I'd now only make in my thermomix, like soup and risotto, but I don't eat those things often. Sauces, chutneys, etc. are awesome in the thermomix, but as for cakes and such, I'd rather use my sunbeam mixer.

It wasn't life changing for me either, but I do find it very handy.