They got rid of...

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by water_ling, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Lost Property

Lost Property Member

The marshmallow is not thick as it used to be, the jam is different and the biscuit texture is different, but they didn't change anything :)

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, all of those things. They're different.

3. metalslaw

metalslaw Member

1. Local milkman working for Norco (nrth rivers), had things called 'Iceys', sold in little pouches you could freeze. Cost 20c, 30 years ago, then they stopped making them about 20 years ago.

I was amazed to find out a few years ago when I tried a McDonalds Choc Whirl Frappe, that it was the identical recipe. They added the whirl and the whipped cream, but the base drink could probably be frozen, and have the same texture as the old school 'iceys'.

I live too far from a McDonalds to get it home in time to re-freeze quickly (as the 'iceys' were sold mostly frozen, and you just re-freezed them if need be).

2. Hungry Jacks satay chicken burger. These were made about 10 years ago during one summer. Man they were good. Came with pineapple, and was a great snack while on the road.

3. The original full strength Carlton Cold beer. Circa 1994.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

They always make the best things on a "limited time" offer. I used to like mashies from KFC, but they were only there for a short while. I liked the chicken caesar salad at Maccas and that came and went :(

metalslaw likes this.
  5. Baringa

Baringa Member

Maccas used to do a great brekkie roll with an onion relish on it and then they discontinued it, the bastards. The onion relish was the bomb diggity

6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Speaking of maccas, they did away with the make your own burger thing. Cooked onions, relish, yum. Back to soggy dish sponges and slop.

7. Baringa

Baringa Member

Yeah! I noticed they'd gotten rid of the design-a-burger thing, bastards.

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

They kept a couple of types and call them "gourmet" but they're not fresh cooked, they are all soggy like the rest.

9. Perko

Perko Member

They're frigging expensive too. The chicken clubhouse is pretty good though.

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's not bad, but it's not really good, like the make your owns were. :(

Perko likes this.
  11. Sobbsy

Sobbsy Member

Hungry Jacks ORIGINAL chicken nuggets... the long finger shaped ones with the crumbly peppery crispy coating. They were the hinge pin of the entire meal, my best friend and I were very frequent HJ's regulars, and I even ended up in the community program testing things, suggesting new ideas, focus groups etc. When they went to the shitful worthless mcdonalds style soggy nuggets we now (still) have, I voiced my disapprovals pretty fucking loud but the higher ups said "Well that's just too bad", so I bailed on the community program and told them to shove it. Barely eaten there since... how many years ago was that now? Fuck I miss those old nuggets.

Mamee Monster Noodle snacks - did anyone used to eat these back in school when they first came out? They were SO crumbly crispy, and the flavour was so strong. These things were like some kind of gold coin bartering system in the school yards at lunch. Anything you wanted, you could have so long as you had a pack of Mamee to trade. Ever since they changed the recipe like 10+ years ago, most packs are so hard they hurt your teeth, or the flavouring is practically non-existent. For shame.

SMITHS PEPPER STEAK CHIPS

So many great things lost to time or fucked over by dipshit health concious whackjobs eager to blame anyone but themselves for their obese kids' failing health. Always a blast to see old things make a comeback, even if they're terrible. The nostalgia is worth it haha

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What was in it? Like salads and stuff?

13. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

Smiths Big Red chips

14. broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't know why they stopped tomato sauce flavour, I think they were popular. Anyway, they've got these ones at the moment limited edition whatever called snags and sauce. They are like tomato sauce flavour with some pepperoni as well. Quite nice.

15. Revenge

Revenge Member

Imagine someone looking at froot loops and thinking they could be made 'healthy'...
    It is like trying to work out a healthier way to get shot in the head..
    Or developing healthy heroin

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  16. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Well you know it is used in palliative care... :p

17. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

Red E bbq sauce. That was the friggin bomb. I still miss it every single time i have snags. Every time.

18. Zee

Zee Member

I loved the caramel ones.

Scorched Peanut Bars.

Z...

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What were they? BBQ flavour?

20. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

Heinz Big red tomato sauce