Thief 4

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by slipkord, May 12, 2009.

1. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

2. Foliage

Foliage Member

I've noticed a lot of seeminly unfinished stuff in the main city, heaps of ropes that let you get up really high, eventually you climb through a few windows only to get nowhere, like there is nothing to do.

One example is the guard tower where the guard is in place looking down with no way to get there (guess he flies?) anyway you fire a rope arrow, shoot a platform down, climb existing rope, get to him, kill him assuming there is a good reason you went to all that trouble except there is nothing there, you just went to all that effort for no reason?

Anyone else found things like this? I wasted 30 minutes figuring out how to get up there only to find no reward.

Also lifting windows is such a pain in the ass, I don't bother robbing houses anymore as the annoyance of lifting a window 4x is far worse than the pros of getting 25p gold....

3. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

I still don't know why developers go for SSAA, its easy to implement but it destroys performance. Especially for already graphically intensive games.

4. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

@Fols I've found some parts of the map get populated as you progress.

This area was accessible with ropes, but the window only disappeared when the side-mission was undertaken:

http://i.imgur.com/g7lUSJe.png
    http://i.imgur.com/LKvBx8S.png

This window (and the one across, just out of shot) will be accessible when that gate (left) is opened. You shoot a rope arrow into the archway:

http://i.imgur.com/0zwJPjZ.png
    http://i.imgur.com/W71ogN9.png

Just around the corner from the first location, the entrance to the brothel, I've shot a rope arrow with no way of reaching it. I assume a future mission will make use of it:

http://i.imgur.com/NMLpUz1.png

5. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

44 hours to get to the end, zero interest in replaying it ever again. They copied Bill The Butcher for the baddie.

[​IMG]

6. Sorak

Sorak Member

At least you had the interest to finish it, I just got fed up. The shit house game play mechanics just got too frustrating and it's become clear that a lot of the game is buffering. Purposely making your traverse two entire maps just to get to your location is painful to say the least.

7. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Just started playing this, and it's already looking shaky. :Paranoid:

8. power

power Member

You were warned!

9. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Yep. :) Forty five minutes in, haven't finished the first mission (not even sure if I've finished the prologue). I'm still giving it a chance. Environments are very satisfying, lockpick mechanic is good, graphics are of course excellent, and they've kept the light gem. But after Dishonored, it already feels linear; haven't seen multiple paths to target yet.

I've cranked it up to the hardest setting, and included some custom settings (such as reduced speed walking and running, and failing a mission if you harm any animal or human), so I'll see how it plays out.

10. Foliage

Foliage Member

I tried so hard to like it, gave it lots of time but it sucks, some missions were great but most were missing something, the main area feels dead and is a pain in the ass to move around in, pretty disappointed Tbh.

11. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

I've played T3 once more since release, I don't see myself ever loading this again.

12. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

I ran it again a week ago. Looked around for a few secs, then thought nup & quit.

13. Domokun

Domokun Member

Not worth the $7.50 USD then? Pretending that it isn't meant to be the successor to the previous Thief games, is it an OK game?

14. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

It's OK but yeah, it's worth less than $10.

I now have a rig to run it even smoother than before, but I have zero urge to load it up.

Edit: should also mention I played dishonored after this. Far better game but the cartoony graphics were not to my tastes.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  15. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

So I came back to this game in the last week, after a three year hiatus. I still hadn't finished the prologue last time. This time I ran through the prologue about half a dozen times, without completing it, playing with the different difficulty settings. It didn't take long to discover that most of the settings are simply introducing artificial difficulty, which is irritating. Even more irritating, most of them have absolutely nothing to do with recreating the original Thief experience, even when that's what they're touted as. Here are some examples of artificial difficulty levels which actually completely depart from the original Thief games.

* Only chapter saves, no manual saves or checkpoint saves: the original Thief games had checkpoint saves and manual saves
    * No food or poppy usage: all the original Thief games gave you food which restored your health
    * Mission fails if you take any damage: all the original Thief games let you keep playing regardless of how injured or close to death you were
    * Mission fails if you are detected: all the original Thief games let you keep playing regardless of detection; this was an important part of the immersion
    * Mission fails if any NPC takes damage or is killed: all the original Thief games gave you complete freedom to knock out, injure, or kill any NPCs, so you can play the game the way you like (again, increasing immersion)
    * Very expensive items when buying: the original Thief games didn't make items very expensive to limit their availability, they just limited the amount of available loot (more immersive)
    * No aiming reticule: all the original Thief games had an aiming reticule for the bow, though it was sensibly part of the in game item (not an HUD element)
    * Reduced speed while walking and running: makes absolutely no sense in game, and is a complete departure from the original Thief games, in which fast movement was often critical to survival

So I have tweaked the gameplay settings to allow for an authentic Thief experience, and thankfully that's possible; mainly through turning off all the hints and HUD elements (minimap, loot glint, lockpick hints, etc). I am keeping the focus ability because I want to see how it works. I am in two minds about the swoop ability; something tells me it's more of a way of compensating for occasionally poor environmental design.

Nevertheless, after five hours (and still only in the first mission after reaching the Clock Tower), I'm warming up to the game.

* Environments are very beautiful, and extremely rich, with lots of attention to detail; rain and water effects are particularly excellent, and there's lots and lots of contextually relevant stuff everywhere (not just random items and objects), which makes the environments very solid and realistic
    * There's a surprisingly large number of pathways into target buildings (though still not as many as Dishonored)
    * The hub is pretty interesting so far, with lots of nooks and crannies
    * There's a lot of well hidden loot; I was surprised to discover that I only found 68% of the available loot in my first mission, despite thinking I had gone everywhere
    * Knockouts are fun, and you can drag and hide bodies (a key Thief mechanic)
    * Guards are surprisingly intelligent; a guard walked into a room after I had turned the light off, and was alerted because the light was off, said so, and started looking for me; on another occasion a guard was alerted by a display case door that I had left open, said so, and started looking for me
    * Guards are hard to shake when they are chasing you; the follow you around corners, up and down stairs, and even look behind objects
    * There are several ways to create distractions, from using arrows, to throwing items in the environment, to disrupting environmental elements

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

you like to bump old threads haha, is a pretty looking game but the feedback from people/reviews meant I didnt touch it. Have any complaints people had been addressed? IIRC the game stuttered a bit.

17. power

power Member

i never had performance issues, i just didn't find it that interesting.

walker_2003 likes this.
  18. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

980 maxed out was borderline unplayable, high end 980ti was smooth (4790k, 16GB ram, dell 3011 resolution).

Once I got stuck in to AssCreed series I never gave this game a second thought.

Might try dishonored 2 soonish.

19. power

power Member

I like Dishonored 2, but the expansion was disappointing (deth of the outsider). I remember being so hyped for Thief 4 and initially on board but i got to a point where I just cbf'd and never finished it. Dishonored didn't click with me on first play but later on i got into it properly.

20. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

i was having big stutter issues/fps drops in dishonored 2 so didnt bother with it.

I never finished #1 though, need to!