Thief 4

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by slipkord, May 12, 2009.

1. power

power Member

Deus Ex HR was on consoles and it's still great.

Nothing will recapture the spirit of 1 and 2 I think it was one of the first 3D games I actually played on a Voodoo card and Pentium 100.

2. Philll

Philll Member

I wouldn't put DE3 up with DE1

There was still a lot missing, but I think this type of comparison was the point he was making

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Wasn't Thief3 on xbox? I don't recall it being a pile of shit. Be sceptical sure, no point getting your hopes up for games only to be let down, but I won't assume it'll be rubbish just because it's multiplatform.

4. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

Released simultaneously too, not just ported later.

I've got faith in Eidos Montreal, they did a great job with DX:HR.

5. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I agree with this. I thought Thief 3 was very good; the Shalebridge Cradle was one of the most outstanding levels of any game ever made, and the town hub and free roaming options were another standout feature.

I've noticed Deus Ex:HR has a distinctive French feel to it, and I like Eidos Montreal did; art direction and general tone are great, gameplay mechanics are very satisfying.

6. lithos

lithos Member

Fixed that for ya.

7. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

I guess I'd be ok with that, at least from a modern gamer perspective, because artistic integrity and creativeness mean nothing in gaming anymore and graphics have made the old games long in the tooth. It would be nice to get a new Thief game, but it would almost certainly be an insult to the series like Thief 3 and would still dilute from the legacy. Not that it matters much anymore.

It'll take a hell of a lot for me to place it anywhere near the first two games though. And contrary to casual gamers thinking old hats are snobs, there's some VERY good reasons.

Thief 3 was a pile of shit - as a thief game.

You probably know what you're dealing with now. When it comes to thief, I don't pull any punches. Do it right or don't do it at all - that's what I say. Why do they need to make a THIEF game? Why can't they create a new series or pester something else? Marketing reasons isn't good enough - that means you've got zero artistic integrity.

It's like claiming you're painting the sequel to the Mona Lisa. You better make sure you can fill those shoes before you do it.

If a new metal gear solid came out and it was a total copout to casual gamers, what would you think? A new, casual gamer oriented Counterstrike? The only difference is that the Thief series didn't have the broad appeal to become so entrenched in gamer's minds, and as a result these companies think they can just shit all over the legacy in the hope of finding a new audience lured by the reputation. I don't approve.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  8. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Japanese Kawaii desu cosplay feel? :confused:

9. EuroSlave

EuroSlave Member

I think the lead designer or whatever looked to anime as inspiration

:sick:

10. Queenie

Queenie Member

I never asked for this.

11. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

My highly advanced intuitive pattern recognition skills say this game is going to blow

12. Philll

Philll Member

Cmon, blow is a strong word

It'll be good, just not as good as it could have been, had consoles not been so popular

The latest Deus Ex, Hitman, Crysis, Resident Evil... all proof of this

13. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Looks to me like he looked to Mass Effect. There's a distinct similarity between the visual styles of the two.

14. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

Lol agreed, that's hilarious

15. praiseB

praiseB Member

For the first time in years the site has been updated: http://www.thief4.com/
    Looks like we will be getting a preview soon.

16. sandeep

sandeep Member

I have been waiting for this game relentlessly......:thumbup:

17. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I am so tempted to pick up the original games and play them again, even though everyone in the first two looks like they're made from half a dozen triangles. This is what a real stealth mechanic looks like.

1. The amount of noise you make is determined by how fast you're moving, and the surface over which you're moving.

2. Your visibility is determined by your proximity to light sources, and the extent to which you're exposed as opposed to being behind cover.

3. NPCs are alerted by sound, line of sight, your shadow, bodies, bloodstains, and missing items; they can also be distracted and misled by decoy noises.

4. You are able to modify the environment to your advantage by quenching or igniting light sources, covering surfaces with noise-reducing material, creating distractions using thrown objects or devices producing noise or light, and removing evidence of your presence (moving bodies to concealed locations, washing away blood with water).

The Thief games had all of this. I don't know of any game since which has had such a deeply designed and robustly executed stealth mechanic.

18. Foliage

Foliage Member

Thief 1 and 2 are what made me love stealth games that is for sure. I remember turning my light off, sneaking around the house and using headphones so I could keep playing past my bed time when I was a kid :lol:

19. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I think Thief was my first 3D PC game. :) What I loved was the fact that the stealth mechanic wasn't a stuck on gimmick, it constituted the core gameplay. Unlike other games, you had to use stealth virtually the whole time. The need to be constantly aware, constantly making the right decisions, resulted in a satisfyingly high level of difficulty and a deep immersion into the game. The atmosphere of the Thief games was always excellent. And who can forget the awesome dialogue? The Hammerites had great lines. :)

20. power

power Member