Things i don't like about my honkers galaxy nexus

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by oculi, Mar 28, 2012.

1. oculi

oculi Member

My phone finally arrived after i picked it up from fedex in an industrial park in sticksville, how convenient!

i'm not much of an android fan to begin with, but so far i don't like:

whatever version of ICS is on the phone, prefer the L&F of sense

the fact it won't mount as a mass storage device, i knew i didn't have a microSD slot, but i didn't think it would be so hard to get files on it. need to put media player version 10 on one of my PCs and then use it, last time i had to register some bollocks to get it to work and i hate windose media player.

the reception is worse than my old mobile phone (it was virgin: optus, new plan is tpg: optus)

I can't hide the google/siri search bar or the call/contact/all/chat/globe bar down the bottom

need to get some apps on it i suppose, and learn about what i need to do to get a more me friendly version of ICS on it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. bleAf!

bleAf! (Taking a Break)

I'm surprised that it doesn't mount as mass storage device. I thought it would be just like my Nexus S running ICS (stock and custom ICS rom) which had always mounted as a mass storage device via usb transfer cable.

3. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

There are advantages to it being set up that way, any android device with an SD slot/card in it will still mount that as an MSD and it shouldn't be much of a problem, just my netbook runs XP and must have media player older than version 10, but windows 7 should do it natively.

4. lionman

lionman Member

This.

One of the greatest things about Android are the huge amount of community development and customisation.

Start HERE

5. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

thanks lionman, i'll look into that.

new things i don't like:

at first i didn't like that a friend's galaxy S2 had a "share app" function, but when i realised all it did was send the URL for the app you want to share i realised that its pretty useless anyway, thought it would actually copy the app over. that said i'm pretty uncomfortable with how dependent smartphones are on having a constant internet connection. this is mainly because i don't have internet hooked up at home though i suppose.

and a major annoyance: I can't select MP3s as ringtones/notifications/alarm tones, i think you can get an app to do this but come on, my last two samsung dumb phones supported this and once you worked out which folder to put the MP3s in it was very easy to do.

Battery life seems pretty bad too, i got a full day yesterday recieving two phone calls and looking at the web occasionally (and using waze on the trip to work) but its too soon to make a call on it, will need to get used to turing off wifi and bluetooth when i'm not using it and i think it wastes al ot of power looking for signals while in my might as well be a faraday cage office. my previous dumb phone would go for ages without charging. if i only have to charge once a day then it is no issue really, need to get some spare usb cables though.

6. power

power Member

there's your first problem instead of going in with a positive attitude you are negative from the get go.

I never use a cable to get files onto my droid, I use ES File Explorer and just copy them over the wireless from a share on my PC - cable for phone? - what is this the 00's?

Also Samsung ROMs are pretty terribad imo. But not being a fan you are on the back foot right off the bat.

7. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

my motorola xoom has a microSD slot however i had not microsd card. neither did i have a usb cable to connect it to my pc. what i did have was wifi and webshare software.

using webshare you can transfer files to and from your pc to your android device.

8. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

going in with a positive attitude? uh, righto. i bought an android based phone because i'm basically anti apple and the choice is apple or android. i don't see how going in with a positive attitude would have made any difference.

this is a whinge thread but overall I do like the phone.

i don't have any problem with adding functionality but legacy is important - most OSs support mass storage. once i have my wifi set up at home it will be better but it doesn't really matter as I can't do anything with the files once they are on the phone anyway.

it makes sense to transfer files while the phone is charging, through the cable through which it is charging. if the phone charged wirelessly then you might have a case about not using cables in the '10s but it doesn't.

it would be nice if i could set it to not look for signals withing a GPS define "blackspot" but thats not a big deal really.

9. swong

swong Member

Try turning on USB Debugging, then you can get it to show up as a mass storage device on your comp.

10. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

i'll try it at home, doesn't show up on my hunkojunk work PC but it has a CRT monitor and a celeron so what would it know.

11. HUMMER

HUMMER Member

nothing to do with what type monitor your computer has not the CPU. its to do with the OS detecting what is plugged into the PC.

12. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

i know, was just saying that my work PC is a POS. a dialog showed up that said "galaxy detected" then "media device detected" then nothing showed up to look at.

13. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Member

Pretty sure the Galaxy Nexus will mount as a MTP device rather than removable storage. The reason given for this decision was that apps and other stuff that required data on the SD card could continue to run even with the Nexus connected to the computer.

14. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

If you're anti-apple and not happy with Android, there's WP7 and Symbian ;)

15. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

Windows free fullsize version is bad enough and sybian is for girls isn't it?

16. fallen_dragon

fallen_dragon Member

so basically you dont like anything? not sure how you were hoping people could asisst you?

17. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

WP7 works very well, Symbian's not even a relevant option. Android is very versatile. iPhones are great for people who aren't very good with tech. This thread is pointless. Try masturbating violently over the thought of how much you hate yourself for submitting to society's demands to own a smartphone while crying and see if you feel any better.

18. OP
    OP
    oculi

oculi Member

i'm not asking for assistance, but there has been some good advice in this thread. also you missed my joke, i didn't mis-spell symbian accidentally.

harsh! :D

i guess the main thing i don't like is the lack of customisation, I figured that everyone running the same OS would be a good thing and would make it easier to choose between phones because you don't have to exhaustively research each phone, just compare them on specs.

I also don't like the way google does software, but thats the way "kids" these days either want it or are told thats how they want it.

oh and the screen is grainy.

anyway here's what i want in a phone if anyone cares to know (i'm sure some of these are already implimented):

time/location based options, for example:

if the phone hasn't moved for *an hour*, disable GPS, reenable when it is moved based on accelerometer data.

the ability to silence email notificatiosn and SMS over set times, i don't mind people calling me while i'm asleep but getting drunken messages at 3:00 AM in the morning or a linkedin email is pretty annoying.

the ability to choose any MP3 as an alert tone, seperate alert tones for email, SMS, friendface updates etc etc

plenty of other things i can't think of right now.

having said all that now i have angry birds i like the phone a lot more

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  19. Pyranite

Pyranite Member

Motorola RAZR has an app that does all of the time location thingos.

20. FoBZY

FoBZY Member

wow you bitch a lot :rolleyes: