Things that became "retro" this year.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Mar 11, 2019.

1. power

power Member

So I completed Super Mario Galaxy on MAR10 day and realised, hell this game is super retro now being released in 2007. 12 years old, wow!

Got me to thinking what with games and systems getting older by the day, it would be a good idea to look back every year and talk about stuff that got retro in the current year.

A random googling tells me that COD:MW2, Arkham Asylum, Uncharted 2 and AC2 all came out in 2009 - so they are all super retro now. What a great year for seconds and Batman.

Anyway, what do you remember from 2009?

elvis likes this.
  2. Hater

Hater Member

10 years?

That can't be retro.

90's at least.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Forum rules were discussed in depth and agreed ages ago "10 years old to the day, or older". If you want to debate it, dig up the old thread and pitch your case there. Otherwise, please leave this thread on topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retro_Game_Challenge

The ironically named "Retro Game Challenge", which was the western release for the Japanese TV show "Game Centre CX" which features a popular Japanese comedian who attempts to play and beat certain old video games. A great series documenting classic games well before the retro gaming boom took off here.

The game is a collection of retro-styled mini games which are all super fun. Worth playing if you like a variety of old games.

4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Apparently Minecraft was first released to the public in 2009. So legions of kids are technically retro gamers now. (Or will be in a couple of months).

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  5. okclock123

okclock123 Member

Been playing Need for Speed: Shift casually for the past couple weeks. First car racing game I played since college. Enjoying it so far!

JSmithDTV likes this.
  6. flain

flain Member

Demon's Souls first game in the Souls series, released in Japan Feb 2009, although Australia didn't get it till 2010.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  7. elvis

Assuming those "kids" were 8-10 when Minecraft came out, they're now old enough to vote.

I'm feeling very old this month...

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I'm playing through Acclaims Constructor... again... albeit it's the re-release HD version. :)

9. Fitzi

Fitzi Member

It didn't become retro this year but I found my old PS3 console the other day, it doesn't seem like that long ago since I bought it. Now I just need to work out where to buy cheap replacement parts to see if the PSU is causing the power on problems or not.

10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I suggest buying a complete second hand unit, it will be less than $100.

11. Vanne

Vanne Member

lol looking at my PS3 white (US shell, Aus internals) now, haven't unpacked that puppy since I left Adelaide in 2007... holy cows.. been away ... a ... long.. time... :/ might have a look at coming home soon then eh?

12. mtma

mtma Member

Wow, Left 4 Dead 2 was released this year! You can still play it in pub servers too, although the frequenters and server mods are turdically toxic.

I had to think about what it was that I was playing then but most of the stuff that came to mind was easily before 2009 - BF1942, Desert Combat, Urban Terror CS:S etc. etc.

13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I left Adelaide in 2001, so in just a couple of years it's going to be 20 years since I left. :shock: That's just a little under half my life!

Despite all that time I still feel like I have a strong connection there as my parents, sister and friends still live there. Also the vast majority of my retro computing memories are in Adelaide so when I reminisce about "back then" it's usually about a time I was living there.

Too late for me to go back though as I have a family up here.

14. asho444

asho444 Member

The original borderlands is retro this year! That sure flew by!

nimmers likes this.
  15. nimmers

nimmers Member

We're getting old :(

elvis likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

no our stuff is!! :D

nimmers and elvis like this.
  17. elvis

Digging through Wikipedia's 2008 article, I see Left4Dead as a major listed item. I completely missed that (had 2 kids in nappies at the time, wasn't sleeping much, let alone playing anything).

Is that enjoyable as a single player experience? Or did I miss the hype train, and miss out for good?

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

it was not good as a single player thing.

19. elvis

Side rant: In addition to concerns about game preservation, I think online play is a big issue.

Say we manage to preserve the World of Warcraft code and binaries somehow. How do we replicate the experience of millions of people playing online, even if we have the game preserved?

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

well Ai is improving, so maybe we can all play with Tay in future.

elvis likes this.