Things that became "retro" this year.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Mar 11, 2019.

1. melatonin

melatonin Member

It's ok, I played enough for you and I, basically everyday for 8 years lol. Probably could have found a better use of my time but I loved ever second of it.

Thinking of all the shows that are now retro, breaking bad for example

elvis likes this.
  2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

2010 was the year I built a new computer for the first time in quite a while, jumping from a 3GHz Pentium 4 and a Geforce FX 5700 to a nicely clockable i5 750 and Radeon HD 5850.

So 2010 in gaming was a big year - I hadn't really played anything new since ~2006 because the Gen7 consoles leapfrogged my old PC. Everything from 2007 to mid-2010 arrived all at once for me.

Bioshock, COD4, GTA4, Burnout: Paradise, Arkham Asylum, AssCreed 2, DIRT 2, Left 4 Dead 2 and a bunch of other stuff all arrived simultaneously for me.

From 2010 itself:
    Mass Effect 2: For some reason this got really heavily discounted not long after release? So much so that I picked it up despite not having played the first. Loved it at the time but I don't think it's really held up - 3 is a lot more fun to play despite the story issues.
    Need for Speed Hot Pursuit : Most entries in this series kinda suck. I really liked this one!
    Bad Company 2 : I don't think I played this until it was cheap a year or three later, but it was great
    AssCreed Brotherhood: Probably the best of the Ezio trilogy? I know 2 was the super popular one. Revelations got a bit bogged down in its own shit.
    Plants vs Zombies : I don't think I played this until the iPad / mobile releases, so I think 2010 is right. Wasted a lot of boring commute time this way.

elvis likes this.
  3. nimmers

nimmers Member

EA used it as a freebie a lot to get people off stream and onto Origin. They also gave it away for free to people who bought Dragon Age 2 as an apology for it being so bad!

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I love posts like these, because other than Arkham Asylum I've played none of these titles.

Gives me a nice big list of things to go and try for the first time. :)

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Mein gott. Here I am retiring my last Harpertown Core2 based Xeons in favour of ultra modern Nehalem & Westmere-EP Core-i Xeons and thinking I'm joining the modern(ish) world...

6. elvis

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    MrMaestro, baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  7. bolex17

bolex17 Member

elvis likes this.
  8. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

So the big one for this year is Minecraft - it was in beta from late 2010, and got its official release with the "Adventure Update" in late 2011, so no matter how you dice it it crosses the 10 year line sometime around now.

What else...Terraria, Bastion, and Binding of Isaac were all 2011, so I guess we were at peak first-wave indie.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is great, Arkham City is even better than Asylum, Skyrim had the first of its eleventy billion releases....

Big year!

baronbaldric, Yehat and elvis like this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm I payed 5 bucks for Minecraft beta back in Dec 2009 while I was doing my Bae 146 endo, bored shitless living in the holiday Inn at Melbourne airport.. Def longer around than 10 years..lemme look see..

May 17 2009.. there you go. Nearly 12 years..

10. elvis

I've played all the Arkham games to completion with the exception of Asylum, because it corrupted my save (seems to be a common problem according to the Internet).

Now that I have a modded PS3 and XBox360, the next time I play it, I'll be doing per-hour save file backups (which I can automate, thanks to said modding).

baronbaldric and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  11. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

WTF! That was my game of the year 2011. Probably one of the last physical releases of games I bought.

I can't believe that was 10 years ago! Might be time for another run through.

I played through the sequel, Mankind Divided, but I feel like it didn't really capture the magic of its predecessor.

baronbaldric likes this.
  12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Damn. Didn't realize we kind of' missed' this thread for 2021 .. and it's late Feb already.

Missed another notable birthday in PC land by over a month.. as hard as it is to believe, Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture turned 10 in January. Launching with the 2600K. 4 cores, 8 threads running @ 3.5Ghz base and 3.8Ghz boost. All for $317 USD

Crazy to think these things were capable of 5Ghz, with IPC that's still "reasonable" even by 2021 standards. Ultimatly Still plenty of grunt even in 2021

13. elvis

The good news is you can't miss something turning retro. It just gets... more retro.

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Still rocking 2600k + 1660ti as main gaming rig.

baronbaldric, Pierre32 and Yehat like this.
  15. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Played Human Revolution a few months back. And absolutely loved the game. It would be great if they made the DLC optional in the Director's Cut. I liked the addition of alternative methods to kill bosses, but the DLC was very very long and incredibly boring with no story to speak of and uninspired visual design. I'll definitely replay the game at some point and will definitely go with the vanilla version. I can sacrifice more versatile boss battles just to make sure I will not have to replay a few hours-long mundane DLC.

I read that they outsourced boss battles and the contractor did a poor job and delivered something not in the style of previous Deus Ex games. This attracted a lot of criticism from the reviewers so they improved the battles in the Director's Cut.

Mankind Divided's gameplay is better, also nicer visually, but the story, characters, and the worldbuilding did not impress me as Human Revolution did. So yeah, I totally agree with the capturing the magic comment. Separate elements are great, but the whole package is just not there when it all comes together.

DonutKing likes this.
  16. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Finished the Asylum game on PC last year. And I recommend this version. This game looks really good on PC in 1440p.

Am not opposed to the idea of playing other games in the series one day!

17. elvis

The whole main series is great. Arkham Origins was a little rough, but that's too be expected due to it being a prequel to the series, and Batman himself being "young, dumb and angry" compared to his more calculated self in other versions.

I haven't played the offshoots like Blackgate. They get pretty mixed reviews, but I would like to give them a go.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

as an unashamed Bat-nerd these games are cat nip for me to the point that my partner knowing how much I loved them bought me the limited edition PS4 Arkham Knight console.

If you love Bats you owe it to yourself to play them all, they are all worth playing each for their own reasons. Blackgate mentioned above wasn't that exciting to me, i did try it though.

Also you get to hear Kevin Conroy be the Bat for hours on end, it's just too good.

I actually came to this thread for a different reason though - the 3DS just turned 10.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    baronbaldric and elvis like this.
  19. elvis

20. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

3DS is probably my most favorite system ever. Bought me a black *new* 3DS back in 2015 in San Diego (California) Gamestop when I traveled non-stop and stayed in the US for 2 months.

And with it I bought:
    1. Metal Gear Solid 3D

I watched the videos cut into a movie from this game before, but could never borrow a PS2 for long enough to play this game properly. At times it was a slideshowfest, but I loved playing it on the 3DS for the first time ever!

2. Fire Emblem Awakening

I played Advance Wars and Advance Wars DS on an emulator before, and I loved this game! Someone recommended it to me as it was from the same developer. I liked the game, but my build was horrendous and I suffered through the second half of the game, need to replay it properly with a spreadsheet. I also completely skipped the genealogy thing, because I only learned it was a thing after I finished the game.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles

Wow. What a journey. Such an amazing game. I amassed > 100 hours in it. The only gripe I have is I found the later chapters' character design was too much for my taste. I called them "robot strippers from space" :).

Attached Files:

elvis and power like this.